WORLD ’ s Youngest Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*NOTE*

For those of you intrepid readers out there who think that once again you've stumbled upon a meaningless hijack by that same group of dry land narced divers who brought you such hits as...how to stage rig a dead dog...don't despair...this descent into humor and joking isn't "off-topic" it is indeed a very wry editorial on the original post...namely that this is a huge joke.

Yep and money is what all certifying agencies are after. After they take your money all you get is a worthless credit card and a stupid patch. What do they do after? NOTHING.

Hmmmm.... Interesting turn of this thread. Makes me wonder about the direction of this forum.

Since I've been back, about a week max, I've already had 2 of my posts pulled and my PM to the new owner regarding access to the instructor forum is completely ignored but yet here you guys get to chew Walter's (a recently former moderator) a$$ freely for stating his opinion.

Makes me wonder...........

WW

I knew this would be a hot topic ...

The book knowledge and diving this young man has accumulated certainly will benefit him for years to come however the biggest danger I forsee would revolve around attitude.

If he accepts his certifications as a starting point and has been taught that experiance and keeping an attitude of always trying to learn and improve then he will be a great diver.

Worst case would be seeing him registered on scuba board lecturing other more accomplished and experianced divers on how to do things the right way, then becoming even more self important as he equates the number of posts that he has being equal to his actual skill level.

Hmmm... maybe he is already registered here... who knows he might even be a moderator....:wink:

DFC5343:
Yep and money is what all certifying agencies are after. After they take your money all you get is a worthless credit card and a stupid patch. What do they do after? NOTHING.

That's a bit like throwing the baby out with the proverbial bathwater...the "idea" of a certifying agency is to provide a set of standards by which their "certification" ensures have been met. The problem which we argue about ad-nauseum comes down to weather or not the "certification" really means anything based on current standards being A) too low or B) not adequately monitered for a real "standard" of achievement.

I don't expect a certifying agency to do anything for me AFTER the certification. I expect that if I'm being trained by a "representative" of the agency however, that the standard I'm being certified too is the same as everyone else who received the certification. Which...is a far cry from reality in OW. I believe once we start into Tech certifications that the certification starts being much more uniform in terms of hitting real outwardly testable and discernable standards (well...we could start another argument/discussion here but we won't).

MikeFerrara:
And they deserve it why? Well, for them it might be an actual job title I guess.

All the Navy Master Divers I have met have been nothing short of amazing. From what I was when I was in the Navy they are pretty selective fo those that have the title Master Diver and yes I respect them just for the title. Now I have seen my share of Navy Divers do some pretty stupid things but Master Divers are always on top of things.

bwerb:
*NOTE*

For those of you intrepid readers out there who think that once again you've stumbled upon a meaningless hijack by that same group of dry land narced divers who brought you such hits as...how to stage rig a dead dog...don't despair...this descent into humor and joking isn't "off-topic" it is indeed a very wry editorial on the original post...namely that this is a huge joke.

Thanks Brian, I was starting to get worried! wink

Dive Source:
Worst case would be seeing him registered on scuba board lecturing other more accomplished and experianced divers on how to do things the right way, then becoming even more self important as he equates the number of posts that he has being equal to his actual skill level.

What? The number of post I have don't correlate with my diving worth!? And I wasted all that time getting to 1000...

cornfed:
What? The number of post I have don't correlate with my diving worth!? And I wasted all that time getting to 1000...

Drew your just cool anyway...

At five minutes per post average ( some are quick but others take much longer so 5 minutes is probably fair - correct me if I'm off) 1000 posts is 5000 minutes or 83 hours of your life.

Heck using this logic poor old uncle pug has spent over 500 hours posting his thoughts to the great unwashed.

This doesn't even take into account any time spent re-reading NAUI vs. PADI posts and the DIR prayer meetings.

YIKES !!!!

"They say Time is the fire in which we burn." -Dr. Tolian Soran, Star Trek: Generations. ...

rmediver2002:
Just my opinion here but recreational diving has grown to the point that with the number of different instructors and agencies teaching right now I do not have any respect for a divers age, number of dives, types of dives, or c-cards. I simply do not view any of these items as accomplishments, they are no longer a quantifiable measure of skill.

I admire and respect a divers skills, knowledge, and dicipline but these are most often gained through self education and practice not through instruction or card collecting.

I totally agree. The standards in the industry are so low that none of these "certifications" mean anything. As someone pointed out earlier, it's easy to go from zero to Instructor in 6 months. I heard a LDS here try to push a newly certified basic student into a tech class. I don't give any value to the various "certifications" someone may have...people have to prove themselves to me in the water.

I'm glad the kid found something he enjoys, but I hardly beleive that he has developed the skills necessary to be called a "master" diver. Most of the adults I see that have a "master" certification really should not be diving at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom