WORLD ’ s Youngest Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

perpet1:
All the Navy Master Divers I have met have been nothing short of amazing. From what I was when I was in the Navy they are pretty selective fo those that have the title Master Diver and yes I respect them just for the title. Now I have seen my share of Navy Divers do some pretty stupid things but Master Divers are always on top of things.

WTF do you know bout Navy diving?

Big-t-2538:
For PADI, I agree, but NAUI's Master Diver program is drastically different from what I understand....well, mine was anyway.
The NAUI class is a joke too. It is better than the PADI class, but that's not saying much.

Don't know nuthin' about PADI... But if he would have passed the NAUI Master Scuba Diver he's DA MAN!!!!

*NOTE*

For those of you intrepid readers out there who think that once again you've stumbled upon a meaningless hijack by that same group of dry land narced divers who brought you such hits as...how to stage rig a dead dog...don't despair...this descent into humor and joking isn't "off-topic" it is indeed a very wry editorial on the original post...namely that this is a huge joke.

I remember that thread...LOL...pure gold :D

Anyway back to topic

First mistake I noticed is that they say
the highest level of qualification awarded by PADI

It's only the highest RECREATIONAL qualificaton but I guess that's as far as he can go at his age (DM minimum age is 18 isn't it?)

I personally would want the Master Scuba Diver title to really mean something.

At the moment I have around 60-70 dives and I'm 16 years old (started diving when I was 13) and done my Rescue Course. I believe in "words" I'm not a 'Master Scuba Diver'. Ok, I haven't done 5 specialities (only one) but it's not too far away (if I only had the cash :D)

Now I don't know how much skill/maturity Charles Jessop has but that's just for me.

There are still so many areas where I can improve and learn.

Pulling a person up the beach in the Rescue Course was probably the hardest part in the course. That might have been because I chose the wrong carrying method (underarm tow; where you grab the person under there arms and pull them up). I'm not that muscular but not totally weak either but I couldn't imagine how a 12 year old could have done that.

I think it's great that he's diving and doing all those courses. If I had the opportunity I would have too. Diving is a fantastic activity especially for people around my age. I couldn't imagine my live if I never would have taken up diving. It has given so much more to me than just the thrill of being underwater.

As someone has said before I also hope that he will strive to gain more knowledge and skill and not just plastic c-cards

I don't think it's possible to judge his maturity/diving skill from reading this article.

Dive Source:
Drew your just cool anyway...

LOL, thanks but I think that might be a minority opinion! :D

Walter:
gedunk ,

Let's assume your statement:

"I would not call meeting the requirements for AOW, RD, and five specialties meaningless like you do. Lots of meaningful material covered within those courses IMO."

is correct. What is the point of the Master Diver certification?

For the record, I don't remember saying meeting the requirements for AOW, RD, and five specialties is meaningless. I do remember saying the PADI Master Diver certification is meaningless. Any meaning attributed to that cert is already in the other certs. It is therefore redundant and meaningless. I do believe AOW is a joke as are many (but not all) specialties.

I know this is a "meaningless" debate we're having since we won't agree but my opinion could not be more different than yours.

The point is, it takes all those certs to get the MSD card. Those courses are the requirement, nothing less. I'm not suprised that's lost on you since you believe courses like AOW are a joke. Thats a pretty broad brush your painting with, even for you Walter.

And what is in a title anyway? I fail to understand why people get so hung up on titles like "AOW" or "MSD." As an Engineer, who really has an engineering degree, maybe i should be worried that some garbage collectors call themselves sanitation engineers or that some housewives call themselves domestic engineers? Unlike a diver with a MSD cert who did recieve significant training to achieve that title, these people have no classic training as "engineers."

Maybe i should be concerned about the possibilty these people will start thinking highly enough about themselves to start designing bridges or buildings. LOL!

gedunk:
Maybe i should be concerned about the possibilty these people will start thinking highly enough about themselves to start designing bridges or buildings. LOL!
Oddly enough...my daughter got some MEGA blocks and Legos for christmas....guess what the first thing I built for her was....yeah, it was a bridge...I need help

Big-t-2538:
Oddly enough...my daughter got some MEGA blocks and Legos for christmas....guess what the first thing I built for her was....yeah, it was a bridge...I need help

LOL, I thought it would have been a beer tap.

gedunk ,

Let me see if I understand your POV.

Assume two people take the same classes from the same instructor at the same time. Let's assume that all of the classes are top rate. Let's also assume both do extremely well (equally well) in all classes - both academically and in water work.

One opts to buy the MSD cert, the other decides to buy the instructor lunch with the money instead of buying the card. Both have the exact same training, experience and skills.

Do you see them differently with respect to diving ability because one has a MSD cert and the other doesn't?

Walter:
gedunk ,

Let me see if I understand your POV.

Assume two people take the same classes from the same instructor at the same time. Let's assume that all of the classes are top rate. Let's also assume both do extremely well (equally well) in all classes - both academically and in water work.

One opts to buy the MSD cert, the other decides to buy the instructor lunch with the money instead of buying the card. Both have the exact same training, experience and skills.

Do you see them differently with respect to diving ability because one has a MSD cert and the other doesn't?

Good point. Maybe if... Master Scuba Diver = rescue and five specialties
Then...Every one with rescue and five specialties should get Master scuba diver card. The equality statement above isn't true though. This one is

master scuba diver = rescue and five specialties and an additional fee.
so the card only means that you paid extra.

Of course the rreason for the cert is to give badge collectors something to shoot for and help sell specialties. It's just a way to hold a carrot in front of their nose.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom