WORLD ’ s Youngest Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of course the reason for the cert is to give badge collectors something to shoot for and help sell specialties. It's just a way to hold a carrot in front of their nose.

Nothing wrong with that, especially if they are given some reality checks along the way as to where they sit in the ocean so to speak. The problem is the name Master itself and what it implies. The same of course could also be said for "Advanced" .

I always preffered to call advanced open water 2 as it is really just an extension of the basic class where they get a few more skills and hopefully correct any mistakes. Again these people need to also know "where they sit in the ocean" so they don't get in over their head.

The PADI individual specialties program is a good idea in some ways as it can be done in chunks, but perhaps they could look at tying it all together with a final course before they issue a Master scuba diver card.

I guess that tying together is their DM course? - I'm still learning the PADI model so excuse me if I get it wrong.

Walter:
gedunk ,
Do you see them differently with respect to diving ability because one has a MSD cert and the other doesn't?

No i wouldn't and i'm rather certain i've understood your point about the lack of substance of a MSD cert from the start. The MSD cert doesn't have specific requirements beyond getting AOW, RD and five specialties.

Again, my only point is you have to get those seven certs to get a MSD card. Which IMO makes the requirements to get MSD far from trivial.

All any certification means is that a diver may have met the requirements of that cert at one time. Without prior knowledge of that diver, who knows where they stand when your paths cross. This is true regardless of the agency, instructor or diver.

Big-t-2538:
Oddly enough...my daughter got some MEGA blocks and Legos for christmas....guess what the first thing I built for her was....yeah, it was a bridge...I need help

No worries Tony, until they come out with "fusion in a box", i think we are all safe.

I really got a kick out of dropping the rods in U of M's reactor. They should never let ME's take nuc. eng. classes. Pretty scary stuff eh?

Walter:
gedunk,

So you agree that while the 5 other certs have meaning, the MSD cert is meaningless?

LOL ... keep playing your word games Walter ... my reasoning has been repeated at least twice.

Are we having fun yet?

gedunk:
No worries Tony, until they come out with "fusion in a box", i think we are all safe.

I really got a kick out of dropping the rods in U of M's reactor. They should never let ME's take nuc. eng. classes. Pretty scary stuff eh?
Unfortunately, I know diddly about Nuclear stuff....and also unfortunately, we don't have a reactor at WSU....but I'm sure we've got one here on base somewhere....hmmm...time for a road trip for lunch I guess

(oh and if I don't post back after lunch, can someone call my wife to let her begin funeral arrangements?)

No one has brought up the additional point that nowhere does it say WHICH 5 specialites you have to have...you could have fish identification, project Aware, underwater basket weaving, etc. I think this is sorta goofy.

bwerb:
No one has brought up the additional point that nowhere does it say WHICH 5 specialites you have to have...you could have fish identification, project Aware, underwater basket weaving, etc. I think this is sorta goofy.

SSI requires you to take four specialty classes to get AOW but they put limits on which ones count. They have some "non-diving" specialities which can't be used towards AOW. One would hope that PADI has a similar requirement.

For AOW...yeah...PADI does have requirements as to which ones you must take but...AFAIK...the requirement for Master Scuba diver is AOW, Rescue and 5 specialty certifications...no word on which 5 "count". (For AOW you do the "first" dive of each specialty...if you want to be "certified" for the specialty, you have at least two more dives etc. to complete and more cash to spend). But...I'm not an instructor...this is just how I understand it...I will step aside for the trained professionals.

The only "Master Scuba Diver" card that I have ever thought was worth it's weight was NAUI. I am most definitely not familiar with all ranks of diving amongst all the agencies but I am familar with SSI, PADI, SDI, and a couple of others. At least SSI does say it is strictly a recognition level, which is pretty much like PADI. On the other hand, NAUI, now that is probably on of the most thorough courses I have ever taken. Since that is the only NAUI course I've taken I was very impressed. I'm sure there are some 12 year olds that can pass it and do very good on it. Personally, I think most would find it a lot more difficult than trying to steal their first kiss from their girlfriend.

Back
Top Bottom