WORLD ’ s Youngest Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"The ability of a 12 year old to progress to MSD does not, IMO, nullify the usefullness or purpose of the certifications to others."

I have to agree. His PADI Master Diver certification (even if it is a junior cert.) is as meaningful as anyone's PADI Master Diver Certification. ROTFLMAO!!!!!

There's nothing to nullify. It is useless and meaningless. The PADI Master Diver is not the result of a class. It is a totally useless cert. You are certified to do nothing by having a PADI Master Diver card that you wouldn't be certified to do without the card.

If someone wants to get a Master Diver cert that means something take a Master Diver class through YMCA, NAUI or another agency that actually teaches a class.

Walter:
There's nothing to nullify. It is useless and meaningless. The PADI Master Diver is not the result of a class. It is a totally useless cert. You are certified to do nothing by having a PADI Master Diver card that you wouldn't be certified to do without the card.

I wasn't talking about the MSD cert. You need to get over your anti-Padi fixation Walter. They are not run by Satan. Big Bird maybe.

MD

edited because.

Walter:
You are certified to do nothing by having a PADI Master Diver card that you wouldn't be certified to do without the card.

If someone wants to get a Master Diver cert that means something take a Master Diver class through YMCA, NAUI or another agency that actually teaches a class.

Out of curiousity, what would a Master Diver Cert from Naui, YMCA, or another agency allow you to do that you would wouldn't have otherwise been certified to do without that particular card?

Uncle Pug:
A Junior Master Diver cert... or a Master Diver cert for that matter... fills the heads of n00bs with the nonsensical idea that they have actually mastered something.

Not if mentored/instructed otherwise by their instructor.

Walter,
I would not call meeting the requirements for AOW, RD, and five specialties meaningless like you do. Lots of meaningful material covered within those courses IMO.

gedunk ,

Let's assume your statement:

"I would not call meeting the requirements for AOW, RD, and five specialties meaningless like you do. Lots of meaningful material covered within those courses IMO."

is correct. What is the point of the Master Diver certification?

For the record, I don't remember saying meeting the requirements for AOW, RD, and five specialties is meaningless. I do remember saying the PADI Master Diver certification is meaningless. Any meaning attributed to that cert is already in the other certs. It is therefore redundant and meaningless. I do believe AOW is a joke as are many (but not all) specialties.

scubasean ,

Point well taken. It was a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said, you've learned nothing about diving by buying that extra card.

MechDiver ,

"I wasn't talking about the MSD cert."

My apologies. When you said:

"The ability of a 12 year old to progress to MSD does not, IMO, nullify the usefullness or purpose of the certifications to others.
Or of their ability to dive."

it sounded like you were specifically referring to the MSD cert.

"You need to get over your anti-Padi fixation"

I don't have one. I do, however, point out BS when and where I see it. It's very easy to see in the PADI Master Diver cert.

I know they aren't run by Satan. They aren't run by Big Bird either.

It seems, IMO, that the title Master indicates that the person is exceptionally skilled or an expert in a discipline/art/sport. I find it difficult to believe that a 12 year old, in his two years of diving, has the experience and maturity to be deemed a Master Diver. It's nice to hear stories about youth achievements, but I wonder if this one is at the expense of what most people define as a Master.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom