WORLD ’ s Youngest Master Scuba Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds as ridiculous as a 12yr old Black Belt from one of the TaeKwonDo "academies"
As for rescue,I'd bet he no less physically able than 90% of the divers I see regularly.
I'd also like the term "Master Diver"shelved in favor of one less indicative of prowess.I'll leave that title to Navy or commercial divers who deserve it.50 dives and 5 specialties in no way garners that kind of respect from me.

100days-a-year:
I'll leave that title to Navy or commercial divers who deserve it.50 dives and 5 specialties in no way garners that kind of respect from me.

And they deserve it why? Well, for them it might be an actual job title I guess.

I think the fact that there are 12 year old master scuba divers says something about the certification.

It's a pat on the back for buying classes and that's about it.

I agree Mike. Master Diver is a patch collector certification.

WW

WreckWriter:
I agree Mike. Master Diver is a patch collector certification.

WW
For PADI, I agree, but NAUI's Master Diver program is drastically different from what I understand....well, mine was anyway.

I have a 13 year old son that could probably teach shooting sports...I know that he doesn't hold his lip when tactfully correcting safety issues.
As far as the 12 year old master diver...I just aint buying it.
I don't doubt that he has skills,but come on.

I say, good for him, he got to I'm sure a goal of his.

I also say, so what... PADI Master Diver isn't a real accomplishment (I'm not) All I'd have to do is go get 3 more specialties, and pay for the C-Card... it's not very hard... 50 dives is easy in a year, as is getting through all the classes. And PADI's Master Diver is another C-Card that is all about the money... to get a C-Card, which just says you have 5 specialties, is LAME! Now if it intitled more training, that's a different story... maybe similar curriculum to Dive Master, only on a non-professional level, not able to help with classes, etc... but at a similar level of training and knowledge.

Would I dive with him... sure. I'll dive with anyone once! Would I want to dive with him a 2nd time... depends on how good a diver he is. I dive with lots of people who annoy me as a diver... buddies who seem 100% oblivious to me, and I have to do all the work as a team... that's who I won't dive with again. (among others)

Could he handle a rescue situation... I honestly think he would have some trouble... now in the moment, if he had adrenaline on his side, he might handle it... I know it was hard for me to haul some of the big guys in my rescue class out of the water, and I'm 6' 0" and 170lbs (kinda a wimp though).

A bigger question if you were to show up on a boat to be buddied with him, is why am I diving with him, not his parent or a DM? IMO a 12 year old, is most likely and should be diving with a parent, or close friend of the family... not a complete stranger (course this is all hypothetical, but this thought would run through my mind in this situation, unless he was a family friend of course)

Enough from me. Deffinately a controversial subject.

Uncle Pug:
Congratulations little Charlie!

A clear illustration of the worth of PADI certifications.

They serve a purpose. The ability of a 12 year old to progress to MSD does not, IMO, nullify the usefullness or purpose of the certifications to others.
Or of their ability to dive.

MD

AzAtty:
Since PADI's minimum age for a Master Scuba Diver is 15, I think the author was a little overenthusiastic in his reporting. The correct certification level would be "Junior Master Scuba Diver," and his diving would be depth-restricted.

I think it's great that a kid is out achieving a worthy goal instead of wasting his time hanging out at a mall somewhere. I can respect the fact that the young man accomplished his goal.

Now, whether that c-card makes him a skilled diver, I don't know. I think 12 is too young to be diving, c-card be damned. Most 12-year olds I know--and I know many--lack the judgment I consider to be necessary for safe diving. If it were my son, I might feel different, but probably not.

It may be patch collecting but i agree with AzAtty that its a positive thing for a youngster to be doing. I know i would have killed at that age to have the chance to get those certs.

A Jr Master Scuba Diver (JMSD) is still required by the cert to dive with a certified adult. However, Jr Rescue Diver is required to get the JMSD cert and i know few 12 year olds that could honestly master most of the required rescue senarios. So i don't think most 12 year olds could meet the Rescue Diver prerequisite for JMSD.

A Junior Master Diver cert... or a Master Diver cert for that matter... fills the heads of n00bs with the nonsensical idea that they have actually mastered something.

It is to skill what a pony is to safety.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom