Why use SCUBA bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lowrider Steve

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I would really like to know some opinions on SCUBA bags. I bought my gear several years ago and the shop sold a soft sided gear bag for my wife and I. On our OW trip to Hawaii, the airline completly destroyed her bag. In order to complete the trip, we went to WalMart on Kauai and bought a $40 suitcase that has wheels. It works better than my SCUBA bag as it has wheels, is a firm sided so offers more protection, and does not advertize to the world that it contains expensive and easy to sell gear.

I am about to go out and get a big suitcase for me. I just would like to know if there are compelling reasons to spend several hundred dollars for a specially designed bag.

Thoughts?

When I travel I try as hard as possible not to advertise that I have expensive Scuba gear in my bag. I see no benefit in "scuba bags". They might hold up better with wet gear but I always dry mine before I leave. I am usually pushing my weight limits. The last thing I need to do is pay extra to bring water back with me.

I just would like to know if there are compelling reasons to spend several hundred dollars for a specially designed bag.

Thoughts?

I can't imagine a reason to dish out several hundred $'s for a bag, however if you dive from a charter boat you may want a bag (a normal bag).

Doesn't have to be "specially designed" but big enough to fit all the gear you'll be using on the dives of the day.

I haven't purchase one in a long while but they shouldn't be much more than 50~75$. I like them to have a more than half mesh, not only to let the gear breath but to be able to see what's inside.

Yeah, we have the mesh bags for the boats. I'm talking just about the airline travel bag.

I would really like to know some opinions on SCUBA bags. I bought my gear several years ago and the shop sold a soft sided gear bag for my wife and I. On our OW trip to Hawaii, the airline completely destroyed her bag. In order to complete the trip, we went to WalMart on Kauai and bought a $40 suitcase that has wheels. It works better than my SCUBA bag as it has wheels, is a firm sided so offers more protection, and does not advertise to the world that it contains expensive and easy to sell gear.

I am about to go out and get a big suitcase for me. I just would like to know if there are compelling reasons to spend several hundred dollars for a specially designed bag.

Thoughts?

None of my luggage has any Scuba logos on it with the with the exception of the Akona mesh backpack which only get used on the dive boat.

We have two pieces of Stahlsac rolling soft-side luggage and two pieces rolling hard-side luggage we owned prior to taking up diving.

Any sturdy bag will do. I spray Scotchguard on the inside and the outside of my dive bag to help repel water. So far none of my bags (3) have rotted.

One thing to keep in mind is that certain features of the bag needs to be strong enough to handle the heavy gear. I bought what looked like a good rolling duffel bag, but unfortunately the wheels, or really the axles, aren't up to the task. Just something to keep in mind when you go shopping.

Henrik

I've never used "scuba" branded luggage. I use a soft sided bag, but it's a good soft sided bag. Rolling duffel with rigid bottom and pull out handle. We used to have some inexpensive rolling duffles, they worked ok too, but they had less structure and the handle did not pull out so they were much more awkward to roll around.

My husband uses a generic hard sided rollaboard for camera gear, but other than that hard sided luggage hasn't worked as well for us. When loaded with gear and kicked around tends to break instead of bend. :( We had some Samsonite stuff with a lifetime warrenty that they were always fixing or replacing - broken wheels, bashed corners, cracks, you name it. And damp gear made the inside icky.

(Edited) I bought a soft sided gear bag. The airline destroyed it. I bought a $40 wheeled suitcase. It works better than my SCUBA bag as it has wheels and is firm sided and does not advertize that it contains expensive gear. Are there compelling reasons to spend several hundred dollars for a bag.

IMHO, no. I too am a strong proponent of hardsided luggage but got an Oceanic Voyager 3 duffel ($110 delivered, now $150) from LP 15 months ago. It's been on eight airline-challenged dive trips. Still like new. Well thought out and designed. Many useful pockets and compartments. The nylon material seems pretty tough. Wheeled, beaucoup carrying straps, and pull-out towing handle with a zippered cover for when the handle is stowed. 11.15# empty. 30" X 15" X15". Plenty of Oceanic logos. They disappeared in ten minutes with a black indelible marker thus helping it blend in with its surroundings. The handle is long enough to make pulling it comfortable and the widely spaced wheels make for stability. All in all I give it a 92; good lyrics and easy to dance to. YMMV (BTW, the former Rodale’s was what prompted me to buy it over some others. Some folks in these here parts aren’t real big Rodale’s ratings fans.)

Common luggage works for us. Traveling with your gear and clothing mixed lets you balance the densities and make the weight work. It also spreads the risk a little if 1 bag is lost.

Regulator cases are another one. What a terrible thing to do to your hoses.

Do bring a lightweight mesh bag to get your gear du jour to and from the site or boat.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom