United Airlines - Checking Scuba Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GF99/99

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have flown with cylinders in Asia with no issues but never in the US and since US air carriers are like the worst I was wondering be for I waste several hours of my life on the phone with United if anyone one here has experience flying with scuba cylinders on United Airlines specifically??

From a TSA standpoint there is not issue flying with them if the valve is removed (yes the valves will be removed from mine) but looking at the United Airlines policy it says that I will be charged $200, is this true???

I would like to fly form the US internationally with 3 rebreather tanks (valves removed) and my first domestic flight will be with United. I have United Premier 1K status also Turkish Airlines Elite Gold Status. So in theory because of my status I get 3 free checked bags up to 32kg/70lbs each as my bag allowance. But I am confused by the statement below on the United website that says "tanks won't be included in determining the bag allowance and will be subject to a service charge" Does anyone have experience with this?

1683935947431.png

From Hollis: "Cover any oxygen labels on your tank with duct tape. Stick a plastic flower in your tank, then when they tell you tanks are prohibited, tell them it is a big steel flower vase."

It’s hard to know what an airline will do now days but if the tanks are small enough to fit in a checked bag and you don’t exceed the weight limit, security should be the only ones to know so long as you meet their requirements.

if you ask them they will just read the policy, over and over again.

Perhaps the charge is because it's difficult for them to handle as a tank only? But in an airline approved container it should be free. I flew with Westjet Calgary - Cancun and had two AL80's in their own container with valves off. They charged me $100.00 for over weight to send them, but they didn't send them on my flight. Took 4 days to get them. Big hassle for me. Now all of our checked luggage has Apple AirTags with them.

D.O.T rules??

I’m rather surprised United mentions rebreathers at all, including sorb!

I flew Delta with two 80’s in a checked bag. They charged min for being over 50lb. never mentioned what was in the bag.

I’m United 1K. Flown with a 30cu ft pony internationally many times. Never had to pay any premiums. Luck of the draw?

I definitely think luck of the draw is a major deciding factor these days. Pre-Covid there was (IMHO) more consistency in how things were handled, but with loss of experienced staff and retention issues, it all boils down to who you are dealing with on a particular day. The same goes for customer service when you call in to get help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom