Philippine Airlines - Pony in checked luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Philippine Airlines sports baggage T&Cs state (Philippine Airlines T&Cs):
b. Diving/Scuba Equipment (except oxygen tank) - All items must be secured in a sturdy container designed for shipping. Scuba tanks and flares are not allowed. Spear guns must be unloaded with the spear packed separately.

Has anyone here tried checking in a pony on Philippine Airlines?

I know I am not answering your direct question, but respectfully, I would not even take the chance. If their rules say don't, then it is best to just don't. You may get away with it, but what if you don't? You not only may have it confiscated, you may be dealing with a bunch of drama, including getting bumped. Especially with an airline like Philippine Airlines.

If you really require one for diving, most, (legitimate) dive shops in the Philippines should have at least a 40cft/5.7L stage you can rent and sling. If your concern is air usage, many shops also have a few 100cft cylinders. If you know who you are diving with, shoot them a message asking them what they have available.

The pony is for solo diving. I can only presume that there are solo divers in the Philippines and was wondering how they travelled around the country with their pony bottles. Does Cebu Pacific allow pony bottles to be checked?

@CWK
There are solo divers in the country but not necessary meant you can readily find any legit operators will let you do it.
Do you know any operator openly allowing solo diving?

I have travelled twice with scuba tank on PAL and they were fine with that but you have to let them know during the check in. Tank(no valve) will be inspected with my presence just before loading to the cargo hold.

@CWK
There are solo divers in the country but not necessary meant you can readily find any legit operators will let you do it.
Do you know any operator openly allowing solo diving?

I have travelled twice with scuba tank on PAL and they were fine with that but you have to let them know during the check in. Tank(no valve) will be inspected with my presence just before loading to the cargo hold.
Google shows solo diving courses being offered in the Philippines. I presume that there are legit operators and some solo diving as a result.

Irrespective of whether I dive solo or with a group, I normally dive with my pony. I can always add an octopus to my primary first stage and dive without a pony, but it just seems quite strange to me that PAL says that they do not allow scuba tanks to be checked.

Google shows solo diving courses being offered in the Philippines. I presume that there are legit operators and some solo diving as a result.

Irrespective of whether I dive solo or with a group, I normally dive with my pony. I can always add an octopus to my primary first stage and dive without a pony, but it just seems quite strange to me that PAL says that they do not allow scuba tanks to be checked.

I think it's clearer for them to say that scuba tanks can't be checked than to list all the conditions under which scuba tanks can be checked.....and then there's the issue of dealing with a checked tank that doesn't comply with conditions. Is a scuba tank with the valve installed just a scuba tank that someone mistakenly packed incorrectly or is it something more sinister.

People who really want to check a tank will ask and be told exactly what they need to do, when and in front of whom.

Reactions: CWK

There is a big difference between diving course and actual diving.
Some operators in Anilao will let you do solo dive on their house reef after completing certain number of required daily dive first. Ask first.

Reactions: CWK
I was kind of disappointed after reading the title "Pony in checked luggage"

Back
Top Bottom