Philippine Airlines - Pony in checked luggage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Philippine Airlines sports baggage T&Cs state (Philippine Airlines T&Cs):
b. Diving/Scuba Equipment (except oxygen tank) - All items must be secured in a sturdy container designed for shipping. Scuba tanks and flares are not allowed. Spear guns must be unloaded with the spear packed separately.

Has anyone here tried checking in a pony on Philippine Airlines?
As Centrals has stated earlier, pony tanks are no problem on airlines as long as you take the valve out and its an open container. Ive done it for years no issues on all the major airlines.

As for the regulator issues mentioned in the thread, ive NEVER heard of a regulator to be considered a weapon. I carry two regs in my carry on all the time.

Reactions: CWK
Google shows solo diving courses being offered in the Philippines. I presume that there are legit operators and some solo diving as a result.

Irrespective of whether I dive solo or with a group, I normally dive with my pony. I can always add an octopus to my primary first stage and dive without a pony, but it just seems quite strange to me that PAL says that they do not allow scuba tanks to be checked.
Just as an aside, I would be wary of solo diving in certain areas, Ive been diving in spots where they were dynamite fishing off in the distance. Its completely illegal but it is done. Scary as hell btw. Also I think a filipino died from just such an incident. He was scuba diving and some locals dropped home made dynamite near him. Very sad.

Not
Then I wouldn't tell them. If it's a Philippines law, it will be flagged at the check-in baggage scan. If they allow it through, then you're good to go.
Not quite. Although they may once have been, in the Philippines regulators are not allowed in carry on and that's that. They will not allow you through the final security check point before entering the gate area. Seen it happen more than once. That said, regulators are quite rugged. No reasonable worries about a well packed regulator being damaged in checked luggage.

Not
Not quite. Although they may once have been, in the Philippines regulators are not allowed in carry on and that's that. They will not allow you through the final security check point before entering the gate area. Seen it happen more than once. That said, regulators are quite rugged. No reasonable worries about a well packed regulator being damaged in checked luggage.
I carry mine in my carry on because I want them with me when I arrive to dive. It's not about the robustness. I often pack them in my checked luggage for the trip home.

It's not that I'm paranoid, but I usually check two bags and a regulator in each 🤣

It's not that I'm paranoid, but I usually check two bags and a regulator in each 🤣
But but but . . .they're in checked bags! I need mine in carry on! If, however, I can't carry them on, I'll probably have to use your method!

But but but . . .they're in checked bags!
Yes, a friend of mine @TGIF flew from Glasgow to Indo last week was fortunately reunited with her bags in Sorong before she went on her LOB.

Short connections and delayed flights don't help much!

Yes, a friend of mine @TGIF flew from Glasgow to Indo last week was fortunately reunited with her bags in Sorong before she went on her LOB.

Short connections and delayed flights don't help much!
I'd be way too nervous to do it that way but I guess that I'll have no choice if I go to the Philippines.

Well to PI I usually have a direct flight from DXB, for Indo I go via Singapore and have a stopover.

Well to PI I usually have a direct flight from DXB, for Indo I go via Singapore and have a stopover.
I will never have a direct flight to Philippines from yyc, afaik.

Back
Top Bottom