Why use SCUBA bags?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only diving specific bag I use is for my carry on. It is an Armour double reg bag. Big enough for two regs, two lights, computers, camera equipment, batteries and chargers, spare parts, mask and a few books. Still fits in an overhead. Very sturdy. Checked baggage is an old dirty worn out expedition sized backpack.

try ogio bags, very well built and have nice wheels and padded compartments

I have been using an LLBean Rolling Adventure duffel for years. They come in a rainbow of colors, both solids and prints and are guaranteed forever.

Just did a trip using standard rolling hard sided suitcases. Looks just like all the others and you can fill them with both scuba gear and regular clothing. I did take a rolling hard sided as as a cary on for computer, regs and other misc items. That threw TSA for a loop and they acted like they have never seen a reg before. The other TSA agent running the x-ray machine even made a rude remark about scuba divers and our equipment. Did it right in front of me as they were hand checking my bag. I guess a hex wrench could be McGyvered into a hand cannon with a few bandaids and some hair spray.

Back to topic. Two larger cases splitting the bc's, fins and wetsuits out and we came in under weight and the case was not bulging at the zipper. (Easier to put the dirty cloths back in as we call know that you can never pack it the same way for the trip back). I also pack some mesh bags in the cases for the boat.

Does any really have gear stolen that often? I guess more often then anything else that is.

That’s what I did. Measured the basic dimensions necessary and found one that would stay upright when loaded, was just one large enough compartment, weighed the least and cost the least. But I’ve never suffered complete luggage destruction so….

I have a Tusa BP-2. Got it for $95. Has wheels and backpack straps. I hope I will never need to throw it on my back, weighing 45 lbs when full. It's all black with a small Tusa label on the fin pocket. It is about the size of a 25" or 27" upright suitcase which is now the perferred airline size. No problems loading it up with gear, the front fin pocket is a snug fit but the fins fit. Has compression straps, inside dry and mesh pockets, water drain holes on the bottom. When full, there's no balance problems.

Not meaning to make this an Akona commercial but, both my lovely bride and I use the Akona roller duffel for gear. Tough and durable. I’ve taken many airline trips with no issue at all. I use small zip ties to lock the zippers closed. TSA only opened it once and re-installed a new zip tie!

For my carry-on I just purchased the Akona carry-on pro camera bag. It is sweet, and has a place for my laptop as well. It will get its first airline ride very soon. It is the first (carry-on sized) bag that will accommodate my video housing, lights and arms plus room for personal stuff. I hope it works out well.

I’ve never had anything stolen while flying but I try to take only non-stop flights where possible.

We've got very limited travel experience, but I was glad we used standard hard-sided rolling luggage when we went to Bonaire. Strapped my al30 pony inside one of them and everything arrived safe and sound.

When I saw the luggage trains stacked ten bags high, I was especially glad the bags were hard-sided! :11:

They can be surprisingly lightweight. I've got a couple American Touristers measuring 29x21x10", but they weigh just 11 lbs each. I find them quite roomy, since there are no dividers or pockets, etc.

Just a thin, strong shell.... :)

My regs and uw camera went into the carry-on, of course.

Dave C

I pack my gear in a rolling duffel. After maybe half a dozen trips its getting beat up. Actually that bag is fine, but the zippers pulls have broken off.. Damn zipper pulls!

In any event I spent less than $50 on the bag, it works well, and has held up for a cheapish bag. It also does not advertise *Scuba*.

I then throw a boat bag in that, and a dry bag. So my gear goes into my dive bag once it arrives.

I see not reason to spend a couple hundred on a Scuba Bag. There are some really nice bags out there, but I'd rather spend the extra cash on diving.

Local shore diving - its all about a giant rubbermaid tub.

Local boat trips - its all about the Stahlsac Catalina. The finest dive bag ever made. No Akona bag stands when filled. Same with most dive bags. This matters when you roll down a walkway with your gear stuffed into a bag onto a narrow dock, and need to leave said bag sitting there while you take the tank and other stuff onto the boat first. Having a dive bag that stands up confidently is a big deal - and nobody makes a better built bag than Stahlsac.
catalinacargo.jpg

Air travel - its all about the Samsonite f'lite bag. Simply the lightest and most durable bag for its size and capacity. I've flown to Hawaii, Texas, Florida, Cozumel, Cabo, Seattle and other destinations. Never a problem. This bag weighs less so I can cram more stuff into it. I won't travel with a soft dive bag. 1) they weight too much. 2) they don't offer the protection of a hard-sided bag. All lightweight dive gear (exposure, masks, regs, etc.) go into this Samsonite. All heavy stuff (batteries, back plate, lenses, etc.) go into the carry-on. My checked bag routinely weighs 50# while my carry-on usually weighs about 70#+ I take one for warm water weenie diving, but take two (albeit half-full) for cold water diving. Its a parade, but it works. These things are cheap, can take a load and are basically a big clam-shell for my stuff. When I go to Catalina for long 3-day weekends on the ferry (where there are essentially no weight police) I load a ridiculous amount of stuff into just one of these.
11113_7_1

There it is. The three ways we travel.

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom