Osprey Transporter 90 or Eagle Creek Cargo Hauler XT 32"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Most airlines do publish maximum sizes and some do charge an oversized bag fee for bags larger than the maximum. It's possible that some airlines are more strict than others in enforcing their own oversized bag rules. I have not looked up any airlines' oversized bag rules, but @potato cod apparently has. I wasn't aware that any manufacturer offered rolling duffels or other common configurations that would be considered oversized by any airline, so this is good to know. I'd rather not take chances with an airline trying to charge me an oversized bag fee.

Okay, I often fly Delta, and here's Delta's rule: Excess & Overweight Baggage Policy | Delta Air Lines. Scroll down to OVERSIZED BAG. A $200 surcharge for a bag 63 "linear inches" or more (where "linear inches" means length+width+height).
Exactly. I don't want to be stressed out about whether I'm going to get charged if this is enforced, and for RT this could be $400! It would be much, much cheaper to check a second bag than have one oversized bag if the extra space is needed.

Exactly. I don't want to be stressed out about whether I'm going to get charged if this is enforced, and for RT this could be $400! It would be much, much cheaper to check a second bag than have one oversized bag if the extra space is needed.
Yes, the oversized bag surcharge is usually more than the extra bag surcharge.

Most airlines do publish maximum sizes and some do charge an oversized bag fee for bags larger than the maximum. It's possible that some airlines are more strict than others in enforcing their own oversized bag rules. I have not looked up any airlines' oversized bag rules, but @potato cod apparently has. I wasn't aware that any manufacturer offered rolling duffels or other common configurations that would be considered oversized by any airline, so this is good to know. I'd rather not take chances with an airline trying to charge me an oversized bag fee.

Okay, I often fly Delta, and here's Delta's rule: Excess & Overweight Baggage Policy | Delta Air Lines. Scroll down to OVERSIZED BAG. A $200 surcharge for a bag 63 "linear inches" or more (where "linear inches" means length+width+height).
Just been to measure my diving bag for air travel. 66 linear inches. It's one of those with fin pockets on the side and 2 pockets on the front, none of which i use. It's 25 years old, so due for replacement. A rolling duffle under 62 linear inches (approx 90l) will be its replacement. I have never been charged for the oversized bag. Maybe if it is obvious?

Each airline has its own rules. Some airlines can be eyewateringly expensive. Flew from Manila to London with Emirates and was charged 1600 USD for 23kg excess (second bag). Now I read the baggage policy before flying.

How much squish factor is in the bag as well.

Not saying it never happens, but generally if it looks like a normal max spec bag, it goes through as a normal max spec bag (The US based carriers is my reference point). Try to avoid being blatant about oversize.

Also take a peek at the rules for "sporting goods". Depending on airline you may catch a loophole.

The Eagle Creek ORV Trunk 30 meets airline bag size specs, is pretty reasonable for weight, and very durable. It's a good size ratio for the 23 kg / 50 lb weight limit too, with cube vs. gross being close most of the time.

My original ORV 30 has been to 5 continents over 10+ years of work in remote locations and scuba travel, and the only glitch so far was replacing one wheel when the rubber came off. No problem, since it uses the same size as inline skates. We have 6 of these bags total now for family travel, and they've held up better than any of the scuba-specific luggage we tried. The only other one that's held up as well for us is a North Face rolling duffel.

With fins placed along the sides and a hard back, we have not had any problems with gear breakage when padded with clothing/wetsuits. It has a water-resistant pocket on the end with the wheels that's good for damp stuff too.

Safe travels,

Lance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom