Osprey Transporter 90 or 120?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Check wih DiveTucson. I know he uses the Osprey luggage. He also sells it over at Paragon Dive. I have not asked what size he runs. My bag is getting to the end of its life as well and needs replacment. I was considering the same 2 bags. Good call on the oversize limits, I wasn't thinking about those. I tend to be a stuffer. If there is room, it fits. I am also looking for a lighter bag as I am pushing the weight limits all the time.

Ben's blue Osprey. My bag, the black Oakley. And a Pelican case from another in our group getting loaded onboard the flight out of Truk 5 weeks ago.
1699396739778.jpeg

Try the REI rolling duffel. Huge wheels, hard on one side, duffel on the other, and water resistant. Ours have been all over the world through rugged terrain and still look new.

The wheels are so good it even rolls over loose sand.

I use the Osprey 90L because it is the lightest weather resistant wheeled large bag I could find. It seems like I am always bumping up against the 50lb weight limit ( 40lb on Spirit ) with my checked bag and at 7.5lbs I get an extra 2lbs+- of gear with the Osprey compared to other similar bags. The Patagonia Black Hole wheeled100L is 9lbs for comparison. I really like wheels on my my 50lb bag. Just too large and heavy for the airport bag drag without.

The REI bag looks like a sturdy bag but it is 9lbs 7oz and 87L so if weight is a factor then both the Osprey 90L @ 7.5lbs and the Patagonia 100L @ 9lbs are larger and weigh less. Also both the Osprey and Patagonia are water resistant material if that is important.

The REI bag looks like a sturdy bag but it is 9lbs 7oz and 87L so if weight is a factor then both the Osprey 90L @ 7.5lbs and the Patagonia 100L @ 9lbs are larger and weigh less. Also both the Osprey and Patagonia are water resistant material if that is important.
its more about the sturdy rolling thing with the REI and the fact that the handle is actually long enough for me to not bump my ankles on the case when i pull it behind me. Most rolling luggage just isn't made for tall people. I have the 100L Black Hole duffel but by the time I fill it to the weight limit, it's just too heavy to lug around with all the other stuff traveling with a family presents.

Keep in mind you're limited to weight, not to number of cases. If you want to check 3 cases, that's perfectly fine, as long as you don't go beyond the weight limit.

I have that same REI Big Haul bag in the 30" size, an Eagle Creek ORV Trunk (also 30") and an Osprey Farpoint 36 wheeled backpack (liters not inches). I usually bring either the REI OR the Eagle Creek as my checked bag and the Osprey as my carry on item. Like others posted upthread, my reasons for not going with the slightly larger sizes in the REI Big Haul and the Eagle Creek ORV Trunk is that they did not meet the airline size requirements for all the airlines I use (as @mje113 said l+w+h). I have had no problem fitting stuff for multi-week LOB trips in this combo with a smaller Osprey backpack as my personal item. That said, almost all of my space is taken up with dive gear and very little clothing.

Back
Top Bottom