Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, the bungied backup is pretty clear, and I see the long hose across the chest from the right hip over the left shoulder and back down over the left shoulder?
Yes, thats how it routes. The cannister on that side holds it in place, but so can a pocket, or a knife if you dont have a light, or it can be tucked into the waist strap.

Doesn't it stick out in the back where it comes off the tank?
No, it comes straight down behind your shoulder to your hip, where it loops back up.
If it gets pulled out of your mouth for some reason is the process to recover it different from the sweep? Is it clipped at the hip?
If you lost primary reg, you can always go to backup. The bungie around neck makes it possible for many people to just duck chin and get reg in mouth. Then you can trace the primary hose and see where it went. You could still use a sweep method, depending on where the reg actually went to.

PS, that gear config looks intimidating to someone who doesn't understand it.

One piece at a time and it's a piece of cake. It's really not that much, or that hard. :)

There are several reasons why someone could be low/out of air that have nothing to do with whether they know what they are doing or not. The term is "Failure."

Reasons for OOA

Preventable OOA

• No gas planning
  • Bad gas planning
  • Good gas planning, but didn't follow it
  • Didn't watch SPG
  • Air off
  • Air not fully on
  • Valve rolled off and diver can't reach it
  • Plugged tank valve/dip tube (trusted unknown tank)
  • Blown tank o-ring (should have checked o-ring before diving)
Non-Preventable OOA

• Blown burst disk
  • Blown LP hose (really should have been caught in pre-dive check)
  • ???
I really can't come up with a lot of "unpreventable" reasons for an OOA.

Terry

Since we're talking OOA and more than a long hose, there was a thread awhile back where someone was doing their safety stop and a vacation diver came up, frantic. He donated, controlled the situation, then when the tourist started pointing at his computer he noticed the tourist had a 15 minute deco obligation.

So, yes, I'll control the situation and initially believe the guy is an idiot until he can prove otherwise.

Reasons for OOA
Non-Preventable OOA

• Blown burst disk
  • ???

Terry

You forgot first stage failure. :wink: Although that failure can be lessened by checking IP pressure on every dive day.

Reasons for OOA

Preventable OOA

• No gas planning
  • Bad gas planning
  • Didn't watch SPG
  • Air off
  • Air not fully on
Non-Preventable OOA

• Blown burst disk
  • ???

Terry
I said "failure" not unpreventable. The thread someone posted about going OOA after going upside down (presumably plugged dip tube) was the result of a failure, but it could have been prevented. They could have not gone upside down, they could have inspected the tank, they could have not dove.

I also gave an example of a free flow in cold water. That could come from increased exertion causing more gas flow through the first stage due to heavier breathing rate. Preventable, but it's still a failure of some sort.

El Orans posted about his gauge on a trip a while back that read 500 psi off at the end of the dive and was presumably working fine when the dive started. Things happpen, stuff fails and to some extent it's all preventable.

Because in the vast majority of OOG emergencies, the receiver needs to be controlled. If you are out of gas, you lost control of the situation.

I've donated four times. None of the divers had control of themselves, let alone their buoyancy.

If you insist on attempting to control an ascent while breathing my gas, my report at the inquest will reflect that. I have no trouble leaving you to die if you place me at risk in such a way.

Donor is in charge of the ascent.

Nomad

Only time I have ever donated for real my buddy took a few seconds to get himself together.Fixed the problem. (Tank valve was only cracked open) and we carried on diving.

I think you are diving with the wrong people.

Reasons for OOA

Preventable OOA

• No gas planning
  • Bad gas planning
  • Didn't watch SPG
  • Air off
  • Air not fully on
Non-Preventable OOA

• Blown burst disk
  • ???

Terry

You also forgot "enemy diver". Happened to Mike Nelson all the time.

Posted via Mobile Device

Pacificgal, there are a lot of divers in Monterey using the long hose setup. Mike and Kathy, who are doing Essentials, are using it, as is their instructor, Don. Ben V here, rhlee, KMD . . . I know a lot of people using the setup there. I'm sure someone would be happy to show it to you. It works better than it looks, and no, there aren't any big loops of hose sticking out anywhere!

That's how I was trying to look at it, one piece at a time, but when I stepped back for a final look, he looked like a space man.

Ianr33, I just can't bring myself to believe that, at 80 ft with you OOA for whatever reason, you would start fighting because, as I gave you a reg I also clasped your right forearm. I don't know you, but I just can't believe that would actually happen.

And believe me, if you demonstrate that you are able to make a nice controlled ascent then I am delighted to leave that to you and not work any harder than I have to.

In this situation I am watching you very closely for behavioral cues that will tell me fairly accurately how much or how little management you require. If you had a problem with something I did while saving your life, then I think we would probably work that out topside.

I think we would get on just fine.

All I'm saying is that if I ever needed a reg from another diver I really dont want them to grab hold of my wing and drag me to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom