Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy saved the day there, that day. 105 lbs of blonde Swiss competence with a mind of steel. I'd roll with her until the wheels fall off.

Strangely enough, I can almost picture her. Her name wouldnt be Heidi by chance...?

I think we would get on just fine.

All I'm saying is that if I ever needed a reg from another diver I really dont want them to grab hold of my wing and drag me to the surface.

You're connected as long as the other diver has your reg. If you hold on, at least you have some control.

Otherwise, you're just a pull-toy on the end of a hose.

Terry

Wow that's a pretty crazy situation. Great thing that both you & your buddy stayed calm about things.

My biggest fear after reading some of these posts is if I'm donating air, after calming the other person down starting the ascent and then they freak out on the way up for whatever reason, dragging me up with them.

Who said I was calm? I was bloody terrified. Like I said, my buddy saved the day. And that second scenario was the Kiwi diver, panicked after the ascent was begun, that I described earlier. That whole South Pacific trip, without a doubt, caused me to be a better diver, because I saw so much go wrong, I decided to pursue further training.

Back to the subject. I totally get the long hose thing, doing a few air shares, even controlling the other diver, it gives you some slack. It at least gives you arm distance and not kissing distance. I have no training in it however.

Nomad

Strangely enough, I can almost picture her. Her name wouldnt be Heidi by chance...?

Her name was Drusilla. And she hated it, she went by Drew (Dru?) Great diver, She, like, ohmygod, totally looked like a cheerleader.Never judge a book by it's cover. If i didn't have a girlfriend at the time.... sigh.

Nomad

Nonsense. Training is whats at issue, not gear.
A trained diver knows how to manage an OOA diver, even a panicked one.
A trained diver knows how to return both to the ascent line and has no issue going side by side with an OOA diver on their octo.
A trained diver knows how to manage a safety stop, even with another diver on their octo.

And you are right DIR or not is not the issue, training is.
It's true that with proper training all that is possible with a short hose octo. But with a long hose all that is possible and is a lot easier, especially if the OOA diver is less than perfectly trained. That's important as "less than perfectly trained" and "OOA" are often co-occurring events.

In 2 of 3 OOA air shares I did not share with my buddy - rather just a random diver who could get to me sooner than to their buddy. I had no control over the training level of the OOA diver.

I know how to drive and I know how to ride a horse and both will get me across the state, but it's a lot easier and faster in a car. In the same vein, I don't understnad why there is so much resistance to a long hose. It strikes me as being similar to the resitance against the octo 40 years ago since, with enough training, you could manage a panicked diver, get them to the ascent line and make a safe ascent - buddy breathing.

If an advance in equipment and configuration makes dealing with an emergency easier, why not use it?

The reason I wouldn't consider sharing my primary is because I use a Seacure mouthpiece which fits my mouth perfectly, but I imagine would be too big for some others. Does anyone else use these or have an opinion on this?

(((kevin)))

The reason I wouldn't consider sharing my primary is because I use a Seacure mouthpiece which fits my mouth perfectly, but I imagine would be too big for some others. Does anyone else use these or have an opinion on this?

(((kevin)))

While I'm sure a custom mouthpiece isn't ideal, I'd bet the shape/comfort of the mouthpiece would be pretty low on the list of priorities for someone who is out of gas.

I've not heard of a regulator being unusable in an airshare because of a seacure.

If I were out of gas, I think I could get a bowling pin in my mouth.

Besides, so many of us stick our feet in our mouths . . . . :D

the K

If I were out of gas, I think I could get a bowling pin in my mouth.

Yeah, but then you'd have no room for a regulator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom