Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I'm sure a custom mouthpiece isn't ideal, I'd bet the shape/comfort of the mouthpiece would be pretty low on the list of priorities for someone who is out of gas.

I've not heard of a regulator being unusable in an airshare because of a seacure.

This came up in the DIR forum a while back (or at least the person in question was DIR). One poster (poser?) said that he'd probably choke and drown if he had to use somebody's custom seacure mouthpiece because his mouth was so small and stated that it wasn't safe for "the team" to dive with one.

Do a search, it'll probably come up.

Don't know, got some pretty big feet!!!

the K

Well, at least PADI teaches new divers how to "sip" air from a free flowing regulator.

Would that not be an alternative?

Albeit, it is not the optimum way to get gas from a regulator, if the OOA diver found that s/he could not get the reg in the mouth, then s/he could resort to that method.

Given the PROBABILITY of an OOA situation as compared to the POSSIBILITY, I'd much prefer to make sure that I was comfortable and rested during my dives as I would to being worried if that one diver out of "how many", could get my reg in her or his mouth.

Don't make 2 victims.

Or are skills just that poor nowadays?

the K

One poster (poser?) said that he'd probably choke and drown if he had to use somebody's custom seacure mouthpiece because his mouth was so small

That statement seems to be exactly the same as what Kevin posed, only stated as conjecture instead of question. Would he actually not be able to breathe the reg? Has anyone failed to be able to use a reg because of a missizing of mouthpieces?

There are lots of mouthpiece threads out there, with plenty of people talking about some (completely stock, common) mouthpieces were too big or triggered gag reflexes, but in a true OOG emergency, I'm curious to know if there have been any actual incidents from total mouthpiece incompatibility.

The reason I wouldn't consider sharing my primary is because I use a Seacure mouthpiece which fits my mouth perfectly, but I imagine would be too big for some others. Does anyone else use these or have an opinion on this?

(((kevin)))

I use a Seacure too, but can pretty much guarantee that an OOA diver would still take your air even if your reg had the back half of a gerbil for a mouthpiece.

Terry

This came up in the DIR forum a while back (or at least the person in question was DIR). One poster (poser?) said that he'd probably choke and drown if he had to use somebody's custom seacure mouthpiece because his mouth was so small and stated that it wasn't safe for "the team" to dive with one.

You could just rip it off and breathe directly from the flange.

Terry

I use a Seacure too, but can pretty much guarantee that an OOA diver would still take your air even if your reg had the back half of a gerbil for a mouthpiece.

Terry

:rofl3:

That statement seems to be exactly the same as what Kevin posed, only stated as conjecture instead of question. Would he actually not be able to breathe the reg? Has anyone failed to be able to use a reg because of a missizing of mouthpieces?

There are lots of mouthpiece threads out there, with plenty of people talking about some (completely stock, common) mouthpieces were too big or triggered gag reflexes, but in a true OOG emergency, I'm curious to know if there have been any actual incidents from total mouthpiece incompatibility.

You could just rip it off and breathe directly from the flange.

Terry

A couple of points. You could rip the mouthpiece off, but this would hardly be an optimal solution in an already stressful situation.

In regard to the diver with the unusually small mouth, this is something that needs to be discussed and worked out pre-dive. OOA situation is not the time to be worrying about the solution to this.

I always show my mouthpiece (dental records :D) predive to a new buddy. Many have never seen a seacure mouthpiece and they are a pretty funky shape, so it's important to me to point out that I am using one. If an emergency comes up my secondary is easy to access and a better choice IMO.

(((kevin)))

I too use a Sea Cure, as I get painful jaw fatigue from the original Scuba Pro mouthpiece, and donate my primary reg. The trick is cut the bit wings down short. There are some lines drawn into the back tips of the Sea Cure. Cut them off a couple millimeters before those lines. If you are worried about a dive buddy needing to use it, then have them test it before ever getting wet. So far I have not had anyone that couldn't breathe off my regulator, and we do a fair amount of drills.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom