Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to have the double fisherman knot, until Bob Sherwood ripped it off (it took quite a pull) to 'prove' how easily it comes apart... Ever since I've just had the shock cord through the zip tie; it's adjustable which is good I guess. Bob is on the 'GUE Training Council.'

In any case I think they both work fine, one is adjustable and the other is easily removed/replaced.

Funny how different instructors teach different methods... even different training counsel instructors.

There were a couple of thread of DecoStop where the proponents of each method really went at each other. Both sides had good points, both sides had upsides, both sides had downsides. In the end, you have to decide for yourself which method you feel safest using. For me, the ability to have it release if I needed it to seemed more important than the very small risk of having it release when I don't want it to. You can plan to overcome one problem, you can plan for two, but when the third failure comes along, sometimes your ticket is just up. That said, I have yet to read of a single dive accident report attributable to a necklaced backup failing in either way. They both work.

There were a couple of thread of DecoStop where the proponents of each method really went at each other.

Geez, was that a slow day or a regular day on TDS? Of all the things to get tied up in knots about (see what I did there?)!

Sorry but you aren't allowed back into warm water yet. You are a warm water addict. :D

:rofl3::rofl3: The water will be 72 F does that count as warm :)?

Funny how different instructors teach different methods... even different training counsel instructors.

There were a couple of thread of DecoStop where the proponents of each method really went at each other. Both sides had good points, both sides had upsides, both sides had downsides. In the end, you have to decide for yourself which method you feel safest using. For me, the ability to have it release if I needed it to seemed more important than the very small risk of having it release when I don't want it to. You can plan to overcome one problem, you can plan for two, but when the third failure comes along, sometimes your ticket is just up. That said, I have yet to read of a single dive accident report attributable to a necklaced backup failing in either way. They both work.

I'm the exact opposite. :) I'm of the believe that I do not want it to come off, ever. Because when I need it, I want it there. On the extremely small chance it got caught on something I'd just stretch the bungie over my head, or at the very extreme - cut the bungie.

I'm the exact opposite. :) I'm of the believe that I do not want it to come off, ever. Because when I need it, I want it there. On the extremely small chance it got caught on something I'd just stretch the bungie over my head, or at the very extreme - cut the bungie.

Humm good options to think about. Both seem to have their merits. Now I have fisherman knots but have never considered anything else.

Thinking about details like this is good. Thanks guys, I love the friendly exchange of ideas :).

Catalina is a must (I love the Garabaldi) - only a 6 hour drive. Just a quick extended weekend.

Yup and I still have never been :(

Poped into one or two of those too. The skills are suprisingly transferable :).
I love the little squeezes. Never dropped into a pit - still have my jumars - certainly a must do ;-).

For me the best days were at least 300ft up on the vertical. Now I'm luvin the blue ;-).

Descending in the dark on a rope is definitely fun! The ascending gear is different from climbing gear.

Yup and I still have never been :(

Descending in the dark on a rope is definitely fun! The ascending gear is different from climbing gear.

I know the ascension techniques between/within the sports vary and change with environmental situation/load -but the gear is similar I believe. But now we are getting to a technical detail/debate that really doesn't fit in this thread ;-).

Except that many systems work. And finding the right system is not so unlike the long hose & bungee preference consideration ;-)

Last edited:

There were a couple of thread of DecoStop where the proponents of each method really went at each other. Both sides had good points, both sides had upsides, both sides had downsides. In the end, you have to decide for yourself which method you feel safest using.

To add to the fun, I'm one instructor and teach both methods :)

Agree that both sides have upsides and downsides. And that you have to decide what you're going to prioritize.

Personally, my local technical diving gear has zip ties.

I carry a necklace with fisherman knots in my save a dive kit, and during a dive when I teach. Because of the convenience and non-permanence, the fisherman knot necklace is also the one I usually set-up for people who are interested in the long hose but not yet committed.

I've seen bungee/fisherman knot necklaces come undone underwater twice. Both were fixed underwater, but the best prevention is checking the gear on the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom