Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Regardless of the ratio in the general population, it's GOT to be strongly in your favor in the population of active, local divers. Right?

Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah you'd think, but hard to tell when I spend most of my time in Monterey. :wink:

Boat dives, I am usually the only girl, maybe there is 1 other, but often not. Ratio of men to women in Monterey seems to be 10:1
Thought about trying to get a girl's charter together, but didn't want to be sexist.

OK, the bungied backup is pretty clear, and I see the long hose across the chest from the right hip over the left shoulder and back down over the left shoulder? Doesn't it stick out in the back where it comes off the tank? If it gets pulled out of your mouth for some reason is the process to recover it different from the sweep? Is it clipped at the hip?
PS, that gear config looks intimidating to someone who doesn't understand it.

Ok, I realize I'm late to the thread, but it's been a busy week and now I'm home sick, so I'm just catching up.

I don't need to add any argument, because all the points have been made. :wink:

I did, however, want to add these pictures to the thread, just to clear up any confusion about the long hose system. I agree the BAUE shots, while great, look cluttered and confusing until you learn to look beyond that. This series, stolen (fortunately!) from a website that went offline a year or two ago, makes the long hose routing considerably more clean and clear:

dir1.jpg
dir2.jpg
dir3.jpg

Believe me when I say - Every "DIR" diver I know, configures their backup the same way. All GUE/UTD trained. So, where exactly did you get *your* information?

FWIW, most (not all) GUE-trained divers I know dive with the double-fisherman's knot method. It's what I was taught by my GUE instructor... and the instructors he trained. I assume by others, too.

Thumb_IMG_0232.JPG
Thumb_IMG_0233.JPG

(ends had not been trimmed yet in these photos)

Thank you for those photos. I'd say more, but I've had more than a bit of very expensive french wine tonight :)
Love working for a law firm that tries to impress clients. I'll look more closely tomorrow, thank you.

. Oh well I will just have to plan out the Galapagos trip for the future.

Now that's a dream :D

I have the week of Thanksgiving, the week of Christmas and the week following off

Torn between warm water and just seriously indulging in local diving if I find willing partners ;-).

Yah, I learned that trick climbing and wandering the backcountry.

Are you a fellow rock climber? :D

Yup, as soon as I know my kids are self sufficient I might just do that. :wink:

Good mom! Huge respect for that :wink::wink:

OK, the topic of conversation has shifted in a direction that makes the thread title somewhat awkward.

:rofl3::rofl3:

I love my long hose friends!
Just got back from a great day diving Lobos!
I promise, we don't all look as intense as the demo post ;-)

leslieben.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
As long as I can find someone to take care of my kitties I would be up for multiple days of shore diving in monterey :D

I can't always be running off to warm water when we have such great diving right here on the No Cali coast :wink:. No plans yet - but I will have multiple week not days.

I stopped climbing about ten years ago,I stared rock climbing in So Cal in the early nineties , Tahquitz, Suicide and Ortega Falls, and j-Tree when it was still a National Monument, then more mountaineering, Whitney, Rainer and Denali and a lot of unnamed stuff. Truth to tell, I was never an outstanding climber, but I knew a bunch a famous ones, and when the the dead climbers I knew exceeded the live ones, well, I thought, they were world class and I'm not, so...

I enjoyed the solitude more than anything, and if you go into the backcountry, you can find that without risking a bad zipper fall.
Nomad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom