Why breathe from a long hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, Kenn you are correct in that I'm not questioning the length of the hose but why donate the primary. And second, I'm quoting Mr DIR on his reason to donate the primary ("because you know it works"), it's not because I don't think my regulator is faulty.

That's not so much about being faulty, but also the possibility that some crud has fallen into the reg during the dive. An out of gas diver going for your primary probably doesn't have the presence of mind to purge the reg before cramming it into their mouth. If that reg was the one you were just breathing, it's virtually guaranteed to be working. If it was an octo tucked away or dragging behind you, it may have some debris in it that causes even more of a problem if it's then aspirated in a panicked breath. A bungeed octo is less likely to have inadvertently collected debris both because it's tucked right under your chin the entire time, and also because you, as the non-panicked, donor, should have the trained response to always purge the reg before putting it in your mouth--which an OOG diver probably won't do.

From what I have read, some people who panic grab the reg out of the 'donor's' mouth others grab the octo as they have been taught. And if the octo is on a yellow hose, I think that would encourage them even more to grab it.

Unfortunately, I don't have statistics. I've heard plenty of reports, first-hand or otherwise, as well as that youtube clip of a regulator mouthpiece falling off, but "panicked diver grabs your primary" is what I've always believed and maybe I sought training to affirm that belief. If you feel the panic response is to grab the octo, you're probably not in the minority in the diving world, seeing how maybe 80+% of regs out there are rigged as donate-octo :) Some long-hose users will actually have a yellow regulator faceplate and/or yellow long hose on their primary, to reinforce the "grab the reg out of my mouth" by making that reg the "octo color."

I'm still not convinced that is the configuration I want to dive, I need to think about ti some more. But thanks for the input and the food for thought.

Not everyone is going to buy into the long hose rationale, but I think you're approaching it the right way, whatever you ultimately decide. It's all about considering the problem thoughtfully, maybe trying out the long hose setup (I'm more than happy to show you how it works in person if you haven't seen it first-hand yet), and making a decision as to whether it works for you.

I agree that there are two issues:

1. Donating your primary. As DA Aquamaster points out, this is not under your control.
It could happen in spite of your wishes. So be prepared for it.

2. Long hose. I've donated three times. Once on the typical octo, twice on the
long hose. It's a LOT easier on the long hose. (BTW, all the recipients were instructors,
do you understand why I'm not impressed with cert cards????)

Long hose works. DO IT!

There is one more benefit I did not see mentioned with a long hose. Streamlining! The long hose wraps behind your head and stays very close to your body. Therefore it does not get bumped or grabbed by the kelp monster.

At first I was uncertain about the long hose/bungee set up and even had a bit of a meltdown when I realized the long hose was going around my neck :). But after diving the setup for a little while I learned to love the accessibility and predictability of the primary reg being clipped on my shoulder D ring.

I also realized that my ideas on ownership of regs had to shift. The primary was available for the team - My back-up was all mine. Instead of my backup being this yellow appendage crammed into a clip, my mindset changed and the backup became an important piece of personal safety equipment. I shared my air from 60ft one time on an octo which worked, but think it would have been much easier on a long hose where we both had more freedom of motion to do things like vent our BC's or BP/W.

Now I love having my backup on a bungee. If for some strange reason I ever find myself without a reg in my mouth- it's reassuring to always know exactly where I'll find my backup! After lots of practice - the switch is second nature.

There is one more benefit I did not see mentioned with a long hose. Streamlining! The long hose wraps behind your head and stays very close to your body. Therefore it does not get bumped or grabbed by the kelp monster.

I'll add one more. If you're diving for lobsters, you can ditch your gear outside the glory hole and get further into the hole. :eyebrow:

Ben, I have a couple of extra long hoses that you're welcome to try. One 7' and one 5'. Let me know if you're interested in trying one.

One more thing regarding OOA and ascending. DM's/Instructors are taught to manage BOTH BCD's, and I know personally that I was taught that and have no problem taking command of the situation. I can't speak for other instructors or their training (as Chuck experienced), but I assume they were taught the same.

If I donated a second stage to someone having an OOG emergency in open water, long or short hose, I'd also hold onto them so I could control bouyancy for the both of us.

If you held onto me then we would get into a fight. I'm quite capable of managing my own buoyancy thanks.

Never said I want to fight did I ? Would just appreciate a working reg at which time the emergency is over and we can do a nice slow ascent together.

Why do you feel the need to control people?

Never said I want to fight did I ? Would just appreciate a working reg at which time the emergency is over and we can do a nice slow ascent together.

Why do you feel the need to control people?

Because in the vast majority of OOG emergencies, the receiver needs to be controlled. If you are out of gas, you lost control of the situation.

I've donated four times. None of the divers had control of themselves, let alone their buoyancy.

If you insist on attempting to control an ascent while breathing my gas, my report at the inquest will reflect that. I have no trouble leaving you to die if you place me at risk in such a way.

Donor is in charge of the ascent.

Nomad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom