Which duct tape do you use for labeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have email contact to the MagTape producer. They have a shorter version (25m instead of 50m), I hope the diameter is smaller. I really prefere a smaller product out-of-the-box instead of wrapping around the sharpie.

In the Army, we used to cut the cardboard out of the middle and collapse the roll to make it easier to tuck into pockets, bags, etc.
Sounds good as well but still I prefere a smaller diameter right from the beginning.
I got answer from the manufacturer, I will test some other products.

Until now I used a Tesa tape but they do not produce this type anymore. I tried other tapes but they do not work very well. What I would like to have:
- easy to tear, no scissors or theath needed
- it must stick to the cylinder but
- it must be more or less easy to remove it
- permanent marker must work fine on it

The old Tesa was perfect. It had some kind of webbing inthere, this made it easy to tear. But webbing was not very solid, I could tear it by using 2 fingers of each hand only.

What do you use? Thanks.
Can I ask why duct tape? I use blue painter tape and it stays on from Ice dives to diving in 120 temp to 2H long fresh/salt dives. It rips off easy and cleans off without issue.

Anyone know the difference between duct tape and gaffer tape?
I always thought duct tape was a PVC tape typically grey and gaffer was the cloth based tape, but they seem to be used interchangeably when I was recently looking.
I have been using the cloth backed tape for years for tank marking, but got sick of the mess it leaves behind when peeling it off (see image below).
Now for analysis tape I use the outdoor (yellow) painters tape and white PVC Nitto 48mm tape (like the grey tape) for MOD marking.

TapeMess.jpg

Anyone know the difference between duct tape and gaffer tape?
I always thought duct tape was a PVC tape typically grey and gaffer was the cloth based tape, but they seem to be used interchangeably when I was recently looking.

Gaffers tape is specifically designed with less aggressive adhesive that can be removed without residue. It is meant to be used to tape down cables that power the lights on shoots.

It is available in both cloth and pvc. Cloth is non-reflective, and is used anytime that the cord might be in the frame/shot.

I just use Frog brand painter's tape. The same 1.41 inch tape I use when I get suckered into painting someone's house over a weekend and nearly kill myself doing it in the process because I was ten years younger when I did it full-time and I still think I can work at that pace in my mid-30's after years of being soft working at a desk... lol

I'd suggest labelling tape used in chemical labs. It is made of vinylized paper and looks pretty much like masking tape but is of better quality. Such tape is available in varieties of width and colors from suppliers like VWR, but these days everything is coming from Amazon, like this one for example.

I just use Frog brand painter's tape. The same 1.41 inch tape I use when I get suckered into painting someone's house over a weekend and nearly kill myself doing it in the process because I was ten years younger when I did it full-time and I still think I can work at that pace in my mid-30's after years of being soft working at a desk... lol

I use the same green frog tape. I think it's pretty wide but not certain on the exact width.

Works fine for me. I cut with scissors to keep edges square and clean on bailouts.

On daily tank label I just tear.

I use the same green frog tape. I think it's pretty wide but not certain on the exact width.

Works fine for me. I cut with scissors to keep edges square and clean on bailouts.

On daily tank label I just tear.
Same. If I'm prepping cylinders at home, I'll usually cut it and mark the percentage, MOD, pressure in the tank, and date.

If I do it at the fill station on the way to the dive site... it's just getting percentage and maybe MOD. Chances are all four of my steels are going to have the same or very similar gas mixes in them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom