Helmet, but which one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Razor and Light Monkey will not work. They both have an adjustable suspending
Cuts and pastes quote directly from light monkey product description:

"In fact, some people remove the suspension altogether and use a thick hood for spacing."

3. Attaching to the mask strap is no option. I want to be able to change the mask in a few seconds.
A helmet will pretty much eliminate that option!

I also used a kids skateboarding helmet with the padding removed. But even that doesn't work great for back mounted doubles.

Razor and Light Monkey will not work. They both have an adjustable suspending which brings the helmet far away from my neck.
Take it out like a lot of people do.

Check this:

I suggest-

shopping

Razor and Light Monkey will not work. They both have an adjustable suspending which brings the helmet far away from my neck. Same problem I already have.
I don't know anyone using a LM helmet who actually left the suspension in there. With a 7mm hood there is definitely no room for that suspension, the hood, and an adult head. The helmet adds about 5-8mm to the thickness of your hood. Men with big heads or especially thick hoods won't fit into the helmet with a hood even without the suspension - they run small.

Why do you need a helmet - it seems all your problems stem from that decision. As you state it is to mount a light all you need is a band to attach the light(s) to. This will not interfere with the isolator valve and can be removed (complete with lights) to take a mask on and off.

There are good small lights that attach to the mask strap and are probably enough for most tasks.

I just bought one of these: Razor Side Mount Helmet - Black - Razor Go Side Mount

Haven’t had a chance to dive it yet but seems good.

If that's really similar to the Light Monkey helmet, I hope you have a small head... my LM helmet only fits my head with a dive skin underneath it (no actual wetsuit material hood will fit below it) but I do have a huge noggin :)

If that's really similar to the Light Monkey helmet, I hope you have a small head... my LM helmet only fits my head with a dive skin underneath it (no actual wetsuit material hood will fit below it) but I do have a huge noggin :)
I did notice it feels pretty tight. But I only wear a thermocline thin hood, and the helmet fits (barely) with the hood on.

If it becomes a problem I can always cut away (or modify) the suspension stuff inside it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom