A couple doubles questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lol. I'm aware that ankle weights are hated pretty much universally. I don't get it.

Lots of divers use jet fins to make their feet heavier. Ankle weights accomplish the same thing, and with less mass on your feet since lead is more dense than jet fin rubber.
That may be true, but it's not best practice. Your trim should be good without fins too, which is also a very nice way to train your back kick.
I use Jetfins because they're big, stiff and robust, not because of their weight.

250g merino wool baselayer tops and bottoms, and Waterproof Meshtec thermal layer tops and bottoms, trilam suit.
You must be hanging around in warm-ish shallow water this time of year? I can't imagine this being enough insulation for a 100ft dive in Lake Michigan or even colder Lake Superior. Alternatively, you are pumping your suit full of air trying to stay warm and its all going to your feet

Lol. I'm aware that ankle weights are hated pretty much universally. I don't get it.

Lots of divers use jet fins to make their feet heavier. Ankle weights accomplish the same thing, and with less mass on your feet since lead is more dense than jet fin rubber.

Because you’re using two additional items to accomplish the same thing that heavier fins do.

The total mass you need doesn’t change because you’re using a denser material. If you need a pound on your legs then it can be a pound of fin or a pound of lead. It’s still a pound.

You must be hanging around in warm-ish shallow water this time of year? I can't imagine this being enough insulation for a 100ft dive in Lake Michigan or even colder Lake Superior. Alternatively, you are pumping your suit full of air trying to stay warm and its all going to your feet
Surprisingly no on both counts. I figured I'd be switching to thicker 4E undergarments a month or two ago, but I'm not feeling at all chilled even at 44 degrees at 110 feet in Lake Michigan or 38 degrees at 80 feet in a quarry. The Lake Michigan dives make more sense, since bottom times are relatively short with mindeco wreck diving, but I've done some hour long dives in local quarries between 38 and 43 degrees and not feeling like I need to add more thermals, so I just haven't, figured why bring the bulk if I don't need the insulation? Really the only thing I change is between thin glove liners or thick, based on temp. Fingers can get a little cold if I'm just using xerotherm liners and the water gets close to 40F, 2mm neo liners under showas are fine in even the coldest water as long as they stay dry. This last weekend was the only time I even felt close to cold, and that was just because the wind was really whipping and it wasn't quite 50 topside during a surface interval diving up in the UP, but once I got back in the water and out of the wind for a second dive, I was comfortable.

You suppose that might be the difference here? If I was rocking thicker undergarments, I'd be far more buoyant, and I'd have to add the lead somewhere, so wouldn't be so focused on trying to eliminate the extra lead?

Should I get wierd, like cut the arms off of a thick fleece sweatshirt and slip those on over my thermals to add some positive buoyancy fore instead of increasing negative buoyancy with lead aft?

You suppose that might be the difference here? If I was rocking thicker undergarments, I'd be far more buoyant, and I'd have to add the lead somewhere, so wouldn't be so focused on trying to eliminate the extra lead?

Should I get wierd, like cut the arms off of a thick fleece sweatshirt and slip those on over my thermals to add some positive buoyancy fore instead of increasing negative buoyancy with lead aft?

If I've followed you so far, you seem to be diving an unbalanced rig already. Adding more lead will only make things worse.

Have you thought about working with an instructor?

If I've followed you so far, you seem to be diving an unbalanced rig already. Adding more lead will only make things worse.

Have you thought about working with an instructor?
This ^^^

Your perceptions of what you need to change to relax in static trim are probably inaccurate. A good instructor with video feedback is what you need more than changing any equipment, lead, or undergarments

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom