What would your response be if someone asked you to recover something

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I once recovered the same 25 horsepower outboard motor 3 weekends in a row.
Lol...Tell them never to sell it, sounds like you make good money off that motor :)

Not dive related but similar: There was a guy who lives a few miles from my house on a busy Blvd. His big dually truck was constantly getting rear ended by drunks since the truck was wide and hard to park on the street. It had a bunch of custom pinstriping on it and every time it got hit I was the guy who replaced the striping at the body shops, all paid for by insurance ($$$). I met up with the guy later when he had a garage sale and I introduced myself. I asked him where his truck was and he told me he sold it, got tired of it getting hit all the time. I said, "Oh that's too bad, I was making a good living off that thing".

I ask for the time and place, $50 if local, $100 if more than 30 minutes away. That also covers the first dive/tank. After that, an additional 75$/tank or hour depending on the situation. If it is a search and recovery, then between a 5 and 10% finders fee.

Had a guy call me up to cut a rope out of his rudder, and see if the prop key was lost. Came up underneath, no propeller. Cut the rope out.
He was bummed, and asked if I could go find it. Another boat pulled up, need a rope cut, got 50 for that, got a ride to the mooring, swept the area around it, found a 3000 prop in 15 minutes in 5' vis.

450 for an early morning and 1 hours work. I'll take it.

A couple years ago a local boater lost his outboard in the river and went to the lds here to see if we can recover it for him so after a few phone calls and 2 hrs later myself and 2 other volunteers went on a hunt it took us fifteen minutes to find it we did not ask for compensation and when he offered a reward we told him to donate what was fair to the dive boat operator
So my question to all recreational divers how would you have handled the situation

Did same thing in Long Beach Harbor...no charge. Took me 5 minutes.

We had a New Zealand guy tell us he lost his Go Pro in the chain locker on the SS Coolidge. We suggested as we were going there we would look for it for him as he was going home that afternoon. He said he would buy us a beer if we found it. Luckily enough we found it and brought it back to him. His response was, thanks mate and walked off.

Some people are just born a*&^ho^$s.

Today I spent all morning taking my boat out and searching for a private dive boat that capsized and sank yesterday. We did not find the boat but did find a fair bit of gear from the boat, including fins, masks, weights, a twin set, a phone (still working as in drybox) and car keys (also working, even one not in the drybox). Another boat also came with me, eight people giving up their morning to search for the boat and the gear.

The cost to me, a stack of fuel, two nitrox fills.

Why? Because it was a friend of ours who lost the boat and the other divers are also friends. We will be back out there on Saturday doing another search for the boat, this time with five boats looking.

Flotsam vs jetsam. If you throw anything overboard, it's called jetsam: you know longer own it. If it is lost (or sunk) by accident then it is flotsam: you still own it just like you would still your car if it broke down on the road. Anyone finding jetsam can simply keep it. Anyone finding flotsam must try to return it but can claim %10 of the value plus expenses. Obviously, it the item's value is below that threshold, then it is probably yours by default. I'm not a lawyer, but that's how I understand Admiralty Law.

I've recovered items for people, usually at no charge. I was asked to recover a Rolex for a fee of $50 off of a boat ramp in Lake Monroe back around the turn of the century. I splashed in about 12 foot of water and came face to face with the watch right off the bat. Cool. It glowed in the murky water like a beacon. So did the rod right beside it. Then I found a set of keys, a gun, another rod, a wallet, a flare gun, a gold necklace, another rod and more stuff than I can remember. I was down there for at least a half hour and was having problems swimming with all the booty I found. The guy thought that all the stuff I found was certainly worth more than the $50 and wanted me to call it 'even'. I told him to do what he thought was right, but I was disappointed that he was not a man of his word... especially at such a bargain rate. He left without paying me a dime. Later that night I got a call from his wife, who was a lawyer. She asked me to come by her office in the morning and I received two envelopes. One had $50 and the other had a little over $600 in it. She came out to thank me for finding her anniversary gift to him, apologized for his actions and explained the two envelopes in terms of Admiralty Law. I was pretty happy with the final outcome, but I don't think I would ever, ever do something for him again.

I've been involved in a few recoveries over the years ... sometimes as a favor to a friend, and other times simply as an excuse to go diving. Sometimes I have been offered money. I've never accepted it. I have, however, happily accepted beer and pizza for my efforts ... :)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

A couple years ago a local boater lost his outboard in the river and went to the lds here to see if we can recover it for him so after a few phone calls and 2 hrs later myself and 2 other volunteers went on a hunt it took us fifteen minutes to find it we did not ask for compensation and when he offered a reward we told him to donate what was fair to the dive boat operator
So my question to all recreational divers how would you have handled the situation

Considering this is at least 30% of my business, I would have answered it this way. "Let's see if we can help you out. First come by the shop and speak with our recovery and salvage divers and let's put a game plan together. We will also discuss payment while there."

Now as stated, 30% of my business is salvage and recovery related. Something as simple as recovering keys one of my slip customers lost as they were stepping off their boat, or body and evidence recovery for my Fire Department or local Law Enforcement Department. I learned a long time ago, to never give a way your services no matter how small they are. With that being said, there are times we donate our time and energy to causes that we believe in. But for what you are asking, we always charge. Look at it like this, how else is that person going to get the item back. That in of itself is worth payment.

So how do we charge, and what do we charge for. First we discuss with the customer the item that needs to be recovered. We discuss the value of the object including sentimental value. Then we pull a map of the area up on usually Google Earth and pull out a GPS Map from Atlantic Mapping Company, or sometimes use a King Fisher Map, both work great for determining what the bottom composition may be like. We survey the area and plot a search this way. In some incidences, we will run sonar over the area (for an additional fee of course), to help in plotting the search area. Once all said and done, we determine how many divers it will take and what other items we need, such as extra bottles, lift bags, etc. In the end, our rates are determined by location, and man power. A simple example would be, $50.00 for recovery off a dock less than 40 feet of depth, with an item weighing less than 50 lbs. More intense recoveries and salvages the price goes up. Typically speaking we charge $100.00 to $150.00 per man (crew members) per hour. Usually with a minimum number of hours, depending on location and size of the object.

It is very important to note that we explain to the customer and have them sign an agreement to pay, that they are still responsible for payment even if the item can not be recovered. They are paying for the search of the item, the recovery in of it's self is free. This goes hand in hand with the sentimental value of an object, and most understand that sometimes it is easier and more cost effective to just simply replace the item instead of paying us to go look for it. But there are still some that want us to go searching.

Now what causes do we give our services too instead of charging. Well for one, the Public Service. Being a former Deputy of the Sheriff's Department of the County I reside, I still dive for them on a regular basis for evidence and body recoveries. Furthermore, as a Fireman and EMT for my local Fire Department, I volunteer my services for the same. Now with this being said, both said agencies pay my insurance in the event something was to happen to me. So in the end, there is still compensation.

I would try to look at it like this, consider diving as an investment no matter how small or big it is in your life. After all the money spent on training and gear, why wouldn't you want to be compensated for their skills and abilities, even if it took years to earn your money back. Now I know this is probably more than you were wanting to know, but it is something to think about.

I will say this, we donate roughly 20 Discover and Try Scuba's each year to a local benefit (for a fallen Fire Fighter who died in the line of duty), and our Public Safety Team each year, donates its services to the North Carolina Special Olympics Polar Plunge free of charge. So no it's not always about the money. But those are personal connections, we have a Special Olympian in our family and the fallen Fire Fighter was a member of my department.

Hopefully my answer helped you out. Also here are some of our recoveries and salvages from the last few years. Several boats, cars, and a trolling motor. Unfortunately Scuba Board will only allow me to upload 5 Videos or I could have put more here for you to watch. You can go to our YouTube Channel and see more if you so choose. LakeHickoryScuba

Last edited:
Always carry a couple of lift bags in my tote of gear, you never know when someone needs something brought up. Have de-fouled props, gone after car keys and cell phones and sunglasses. The best was going after a large crate of lobsters that inadvertently went overboard into 25' of water. The lobsterman thought it might have spilled open but was willing to pay me anyway to go look for it. Sure enough found it intact and unopened, brought it up and got paid. He also threw in a dozen Maine lobsters. Yessah!

Wow. I guess this is the land of the free. If I want to hire out to search and recover I will. I had no idea that other parts of the world were so restrictive.

I do not believe there is any restriction or requirement. Same as I can do carpentry, moving, landscaping, snow removal, tree removal, and a ton of other stuff with no restriction. I can even do electrical and plumbing work but of course I need to get it inspected. Even with new construction I only have to file plans, get the permit, and follow code.

I have a hard time believing New York doesn't require contractor licenses????

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom