What would your response be if someone asked you to recover something

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been involved in looking for things, just the same dive we could have made for fun, but now with something new and interesting to do while we are down. I wouldn't be involved with lifting anything much heavier than a weight belt though: I have a healthy appreciation of the dangers of getting tangled, pinned down or simply having any part of myself or my equipment flattened. I have trained a little using lift bags to lift dummies as public safety volunteer. Those things are tricky and hard to control gracefully all the way to the surface.
We can't legally get paid but for a really nice find an invite for sauna, food and beer would certainly be appropriate. If we don't find it, invite us anyway and we can plan how to look for it better next time :)

I have no lift bags nor do I have any experience with them.
Lift bags are simple if you used a surfacing marker aka a sausage you can use a lift bag all you do is securely a tach rope from lift bag to said object tying a rope underwater is very difficult and what we have are ropes with dog clips open the bottom of the bag insert your Octo in said bag and press the purge the air forces water out of the bottom fill bag slowly till there is tension once there is tension let it sit and see if rigging holds slowly add more air a bit at a time waiting and watching to see if said item does not slip from the rigging a tip for cold water is use your main regarding add a bit of air then breath off it for a bit to warm it and help prevent it from freezing up and free flowing

I get 150 to show up and 100 an hour. Whether I find it or not. If it's something like a firearm I inform the person I will notify the police that I am doing this. It's up to them to decide if they want to show up. Strangest call I ever got was someone wanting me to recover a "box". When I asked what was in it they said they'd rather not say. I said well I need to know what it weighs in order to have the right gear. They guessed about 40 pounds. Ok, well if it's a safe or trunk or something else with a lock I'm notifying the police I am doing this and where. They hung up.

We have recovered everything from fishing rods (worth from 20 - 1200 dollars), Anchors, Go Pro Camers, knives, watches, all the way to commercial dive gear (clam or scallop dredge)...which are not easy but worth it.

Ranged everywhere from free to several thousand dollars. If its a friend and I can stop by a location or wreck on my way out or back at my convenience - we do it for nothing. If its in the marina - we do it for nothing. If we are asked to do it on a specific timeline (immediately) or the recovery is riskier (Dredge), then its a different story.

When I was in college the local shop kept sending people my way with requests for various lost objects. I charged to show up and I charged for the dive. Occasionally I would take pity and reduce my rate for a special circumstance, like the kid who was not supposed to be using his dads motor and somehow lost it, somewhere about there. It was nearly a hundred feet away from where he said he lost it and that in nearly 30 feet of zero viz.

Nowadays, no freaking way. Nobody could afford me. At a lake we vacation at and occasionally dive another guest lost his rod and reel and seeing my boat equipped with tanks wanted me to go looking for it. So, I figure this must be one of those $500 dollar Shimano reels on an equally high dollars rod. Nope, it was some sort of Bass Pro junk. My answer was not just no but it was XXXX no! Like, dude, go buy another $50 dollars combo, I am on vacation and I am not going to spend several hours looking for a junk piece of equipment.

And then, you know, there is the issue of salvage rights.

N

I recover lots of stuff. I wish I got paid anywhere near $100/hour to do it.

Of course, the people who "Lost" the things I look for aren't usually too pleased that I find them.

I recover lots of stuff. I wish I got paid anywhere near $100/hour to do it.

Of course, the people who "Lost" the things I look for aren't usually too pleased that I find them.

I guess you do work for the police recovering items then

Why is that

I am guessing the people who "lost" them want them to stay "lost" for various reasons - quite possibly criminal ones

Wow. I guess this is the land of the free. If I want to hire out to search and recover I will. I had no idea that other parts of the world were so restrictive.

I do not believe there is any restriction or requirement. Same as I can do carpentry, moving, landscaping, snow removal, tree removal, and a ton of other stuff with no restriction. I can even do electrical and plumbing work but of course I need to get it inspected. Even with new construction I only have to file plans, get the permit, and follow code.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom