What would turn you off from a dive operator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok I'll say it... Having passengers that whine about what they don't like about the Captain the crew or the vessel. Solution is easy of course....

Yeah customers aren't allowed to complain about poor service, canceled dives or illegal fishing off of a charter boat. They should just keep their mouths shut and let the captain and crew do whatever they want.

Have I told you about customers and other operators describing activities that occurred on trips I've been on
that didn't occur at all

Sedan chair?

Generally I agree with your sentiment, however let me offer a point of thought: I infrequently DM on boats when they’re missing the normal crew or someone is sick, etc. I know boat operations, USCG rules and am a pretty damn good diver (if I may say). I also lobster on occasion on my own time and greatly care for the environment. That said, I don’t fish or hunt. I try and stay apprised of the regulations, but I don’t feel it my responsibility to police an individual when I’m not always sure what the size or season is.

Generally I agree with your sentiment, however let me offer a point of thought: I infrequently DM on boats when they’re missing the normal crew or someone is sick, etc. I know boat operations, USCG rules and am a pretty damn good diver (if I may say). I also lobster on occasion on my own time and greatly care for the environment. That said, I don’t fish or hunt. I try and stay apprised of the regulations, but I don’t feel it my responsibility to police an individual when I’m not always sure what the size or season is.

My comment was directed more towards Captains than mates/guides. If a captain runs a boat that allows hunting, then they should know and enforce the rules.

Divers are good at hiding small lobsters or slightly undersized fish, but I’ve seen at least two operators in my area allow obvious undersized and out of season fish on their boats. That’s inexcusable in my opinion.

Divers are good at hiding small lobsters or slightly undersized fish, but I’ve seen at least two operators in my area allow obvious undersized and out of season fish on their boats. That’s inexcusable in my opinion.
I don't risk it, I throw 'em back or leave them in the water.

My comment was directed more towards Captains than mates/guides. If a captain runs a boat that allows hunting, then they should know and enforce the rules.

Agreed. I'd assume the captain has some legal liability too, right?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom