What would your response be if someone asked you to recover something

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would have asked for, and taken, the money, whether the job itself was fun or not. You were taking a risk for his benefit.

In any case, I don't understand why you directed the money to the dive boat operator. Were they not already getting paid?

I do a lot of this. I get $100/hour whether I find it or not. The only thing I haven't found in 20 years was a diamond ring.

I once recovered the same 25 horsepower outboard motor 3 weekends in a row.

I would have asked for, and taken, the money, whether the job itself was fun or not. You were taking a risk for his benefit.

In any case, I don't understand why you directed the money to the dive boat operator. Were they not already getting paid?
No the dive boat operator is also my lds as well as my instructor we all went out voluntarily for the fun of diving our air was supplied by the dive shop so we had our expenses paid the dive boat has a crane on it so it was kust a matter of sending a marker up and then the crewman sent down the cables and all we had to do was rig the motor to the hoist line

As I only have a recreational cert and not a professional diver cert, I'm not allowed to receive any muneration for a job like that (because, legally, it's a job). But I'd expect to be compensated for the air fill and to receive a bottle of nice wine as a sign of appreciation.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

I was in this exact scenario a few months ago. My wife and I were up at a cottage near Georgian Bay and we were asked to help find/retrieve a lost outboard motor. We ended up having to leave early anyway, but I had considered it partly because the conditions seemed good. The area where it fell in was 15' to 20' deep according to a map, and the vis/temp (based on diving a nearby section of the lake earlier) were similar to what we're used to at home.
The thing is though, I had absolutely no intention of trying to lift the motor out of the water. I'm ok with lending a hand and would have certainly taken a look for it, but the most I'd do is tie a rope to it and bring the rope to the surface. I have no lift bags nor do I have any experience with them. I'm not about to use my BCD to try to swim a motor anywhere...

RUBBERMAID..Rubbermaid plastic garbage cans and some rope. Tie 2-3 off, then add some air and get out of the way. Should work fine in a lake. I helped recover a whole golf cart (with very heavy batteries) using the lady's garbage cans.

As I only have a recreational cert and not a professional diver cert, I'm not allowed to receive any muneration for a job like that (because, legally, it's a job). But I'd expect to be compensated for the air fill and to receive a bottle of nice wine as a sign of appreciation.

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug
Why would you not legally be able to get paid (as long as you report the income on tax return)? Is it a liability question?

Why would you not legally be able to get paid (as long as you report the income on tax return)? Is it a liability question?

Workman's safety if I understand correctly.

There are quite strict rules WRT HES in our place of the world. Initially, it seems ridiculous that simple jobs should require a professional diver's cert, but due to the large grey area, the rules are simple: If you're hired to do a job underwater (I believe, but am not sure, that DMs and instructors fall into a different category and that their DM/instructor certs are sufficient) you have to be a professional diver with the required qualifications. Seems unnecessarily strict, but protects the life and health of those who dive for a living. I can live with that.

Same as you-------all I need is a reason to dive............:)

Workman's safety if I understand correctly.

There are quite strict rules WRT HES in our place of the world. Initially, it seems ridiculous that simple jobs should require a professional diver's cert, but due to the large grey area, the rules are simple: If you're hired to do a job underwater (I believe, but am not sure, that DMs and instructors fall into a different category and that their DM/instructor certs are sufficient) you have to be a professional diver with the required qualifications. Seems unnecessarily strict, but protects the life and health of those who dive for a living. I can live with that.

This is an old can of worms that opens up whenever you take on a job for remuneration.

Do you have the necessary training to do the job?

Do you have the necessary professional insurance to do the job?

Does the person hiring you have the necessary insurance to cover you if things should go south on the job?

Do you, or the person hiring you have the necessary insurance to cover the item you are recovering if it is damaged during that operation?

As you can see, you can get into a sticky wicket very quickly depending on several factors – including whether or not you are allowed to take on the type of work contracted for in that jurisdiction. Whie you may disagree with me, ours is a very litigious society, and you would be surprised how many people sue at the least provocation.

Where I am to recover or do any work in recovering or any job that involves pay you need a Comercial dive certificate this being said there is not a big enough job market to support a commercial diver where I reside that being said recovering a potentially toxic item from the water is in everybody's best interest and lastly most people are extatic when we find something they thought was lost forever even if it gets slightly damaged in the recovery process we try not to damage it and we let them know the risks involved when recovering and we have never had a problem

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom