What women want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe because as women we are not allowed to have views on tech stuff?

kidding...kidding

Thanks for asking this question. Why?

Mania

TheRedHead:
Why? :huh:

I can't speak for TG, she is probably out driving her rig by now, one would hope.

The way I intrepret it, interchange the word "views" with "observations or comments". This thread is full of them. The other threads, the more technical ones or ones related to diving medicine, etc - should be filled with 'facts'. Now I'll be the first to admit there aren't a lot of facts anywhere on this board. There are lots of opinions presented as facts, all over the place. But we won't go there.

That's my interpretation of that post.

I, for one, have been battling the strength issue with doubles in technical diving. It is not a problem most men have. It is very germane to women.

OK, Red Head
I can share some of my battles with doubles.

But one thing - European tanks are lighter than American. So at the beginning it was not that bad. Later I had an accident, broke a leg and had almost half a year break in diving. Finally when I went diving the bloody thing was really, really heavy.
After the dive i was going out of the lake, fins already in hand. Almost at the shore I slipped on one of the stones. Ended up "the turtle style" - on my back.

And I could not neither turn nor stand up. I had to ask for help. And I knew that 2 months later Iwas going to Florida for cave diving course with heavier tanks.

So I went to the gym. And concentrated on back and stomach muscules. Twice or three times a week. It helped.

but few tips I have learned. To carry doubles - ask for help or get a troley (H2Andy has a perfect one). To put them on - if from the ground you have to first bend one leg. Then with help of your hand placed on the ground try to sit. Bend forward and stand up using your tights muscules.

I tried to draw 4 stages of standing up. But I'm completly lost when drawing is concerned - please forgive me.
doubles_standingup.jpg

another thing - in many places you have benches or tables - this then makes putting on doubles really easy. But when walking with doubles always bend a bit forward - it's easier to walk with them.

If there is no bench and you don't want to start from the gound then you have to change a car (as I did). My station wagon is perfect and the back of the car works as a bench.

If you have more question - would love to help.

Mania

TheRedHead:
I, for one, have been battling the strength issue with doubles in technical diving. It is not a problem most men have. It is very germane to women.

TRH-

Speaking as someone with over 10 years technical diving experience, and as someone who dives primarily with men, I think you are wrong. Men may not have ~as much~ trouble moving the heavy doubles, scooters, etc. around as most women do, but they do have them. The difference is that they simply don't talk about it the way women do. They don't overanalyze the issue, if the gear is heavy, they just gut through it ir go to the gym rather than asking how to make it easier. I know this because having dived with almost exclusively male buddies for the last 12 years or so, I have been privy to the comments on how "this s*** is *********** heavy" and "d*** these do a number on my back." I've had male friends who required back surgery due to damage from years of heavy doubles and pounding on the boats.

Just a different point of view.

chickD
when one day I asked my male buddy (and instructor) 'why this stuff have to be so heavy" he simply answered - 'because it's made of metal"
:D

And yes - I know quite a lot of guys who use trolleys to carry the gear becasue it's too heavy for them as well.
Mania

ok, I thought this was interesting thread....from a male standpoint, it was very interesting to hear the different outlooks that women have toward themselves and each other. I have a few interjections on what I have read.
I kept hearing that Postpartum was a depression.....IT IS NOT! Postpartum depression is a depression, postpartum, is the period directly follwing pregnancy, not all women in postpartum are depressed in this time....but all are postpartum...

I will agree though that anyone who is in "clinical" depression of ANY type should be questionable as either a diver or a dive buddy. So if your just depressed, it doesnt mean that you shouldnt dive, but if a Doctor has diagnosed you with depression and possibly prescribed medication is where I am talking about. I have bad days, and when I dive they become good days (unless I lose something on the dive).

Also as far as sizing for equipment, wetsuits etc....It is truly not just a woman problem, however, I do agree that there needs to be more sizing than S,M,L, and XL. Some manufacturers try.......but I can see where they are coming from, from a manufacturing standpoint.......how many 7' and over divers are there? compared to 5' to 6' divers. So if i were a business, I wouldnt be making a lot of "outside the average" equipment, BUT, would be open to Custom made equipment at a slightly higher cost to cover the "custom". I do wish there was more "custom" wetsuit/BC/drysuit makers, and the cost wasnt so inflated. I do know that some body configurations make custom sizing very difficult, especially in the petite sizes, just not enough room in girth or length to do everything they may need to do. Bigger sizes are easier to an extent, just add material, but you can only take away so much...and im thinking of BC's as the prime problem when it comes to petite women or woman with smaller waists and larger bust....a BC's general cut needs to be more adjustable in the waist, and the bust, so that it doesnt have to be either tight in the bust, or loose in the waist. I know there are a few makers that have catered to some womens needs, but it would be nice to see someone make a bc that is more capable of adjusting to most womens needs. There are some that truly need to be custom, and no getting around it.

I do like the idea of a conference, not a woman only or man only conference, but lectures that might cover some issues/concerns that men or women have come up with gender specific. I know as an instructor it would be beneficial to know some of the questions women may have (and answers to them if not known), but might not feel comfortable asking a male instructor.

Good job Mania!

TheRedHead:
Why? :huh:

Mainly because I've had posts moved for less...

A female dive medicine question imo would be better suited to the dive medicine forum than the women's views forum. Same as a female dive tech question would be better suited to the dive tech forum. Certainly not in all cases. And it's not something I really care about. But that would explain why there wouldn't be very many posts in THIS forum by women regarding things like DCS and cave diving.

Certainly women asking other women about their experiences with bent boobs or, for that matter, bent tubes (hahahahha) should be in the Views forum.

Thanks- scratchy- for explaining my own post better than I could have!

Incidentally, there is no Men's Views forum. I wonder what kind of posts would be in there. Sports? Shaving questions? I guess men are relegated to the basic scuba or non-diving related forums when it comes to their manlie tendencies.

No, that's not a typo :D

***edited for clarification***
And it's not something I really care about.
this refers the placement and/or moving of posts. I don't mean to say that I don't care about dive medicine or tech issues (although I doubt I'll ever a cave for diving- I am far too enamored of my snorkel!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom