What women want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dennisg

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
This is a survey out to all the women divers on the forum:

I am currently running a survey to assess how the particular needs of women are addressed in the scuba industry so I would appreciate any comments and thoughts you might be able to provide in light of your personal scuba training experiences.

In an ideal world, if you were to attend a 'scuba program' developed exclusively for women, what would you particularly want it to include for on your wish list, and also what would you specifically want it to avoid?

With thanks and kind regards...

Good looking DMs...:wink:

Becaue as a result of SB breaking down one thread is lost - about a conference omly for woman - I wanted you to read it - would give you a lot of answers...
mania

dive sherpas (like the boys at the Phoenician resort, that wear those cool pants)

mirrors in the pool

dive boats with nice heads, no urinal action on the floor

I honestly cannot think of anything dive -related, although most could use a little extra help with the physics and the math, to be honest.--but that might not go over well.

Market the aesthetic side of diving, the incredible visual, sensual side.

attend a 'scuba program' developed exclusively for women,

honestly, I see a problem with these programs. Once you cater to the differences, it makes it harder for us to hang. ...what is possibly different being a woman? (that could be taught in a conference?)

Unless it is for gay women, I don't see the point.

mania's got a good point -- there were a lot of things brought up in the women's conference thread.

From my standpoint, the only specifically female thing I would have wanted in my class would have been some tips or exercises for developing the strength to carry the gear. Having a spectrum of BCs that fit tiny women and larger, buxom women would be good, too.

The actual subject matter and skills of diving are gender-neutral.

dennisg:
This is a survey out to all the women divers on the forum:

I am currently running a survey to assess how the particular needs of women are addressed in the scuba industry so I would appreciate any comments and thoughts you might be able to provide in light of your personal scuba training experiences.

In an ideal world, if you were to attend a 'scuba program' developed exclusively for women, what would you particularly want it to include for on your wish list, and also what would you specifically want it to avoid?

With thanks and kind regards...
If you're talking about a conference or workshop format, I would like to see included:

- Diving medicine/physiology lectures specific to women.

- Discussion sessions for women who are unsure about their interest in Scuba but who may wish to pursue it with a partner (very low pressure "no question is silly" environment).

- Gear seminar where womens specific needs are discussed (NOT a conversation about pretty colors but about the gear itself).

- Meeting with industry representatives (not flunkys) to review their products and discuss ways to make them more functional/useful for a female diver.

- Meeting with dive travel representatives to discuss ways to make travel options more available and attractive to solo female divers.

wow

good post

the travel solo, very good point

Wetsuit sizing that doesn't assume you have a "Barbie" figure!

And more eye candy DM's and instructors, would be nice!

Thanks so far, those are ALL good points. Hot looking DM's in tight shorts, valid point certainly for many! Things like clean heads on dive boats are certainly valid and important to a lot of women I'd agree! Specific equipment needs for women, certainly valid too! Queen's list is excellent, all good stuff there! Thank you.

I do however certainly feel that there are specific academic things that women miss out on in conventional courses - ‘Women-specific physiology’ is certainly something I feel is a weak point generally, so I'm expecting that might be of interest i.e. women specific issues related to: risks on decompression illness, menstruation, adolescence, pregnancy, postpartum diving, shark attack, fitness, menopause, etc (right down to nail polish and shampoo queries that get raised frequently here on the SB). Perhaps all of the ‘women-specific’ issues could be covered within a 3-hour lecture and that’s all it needs? (I’m not convinced that men WANT or need to listen to any of this)

I’d agree that on typical courses we all muck in and comfortably get through a program developed to suit a ‘middle-of-the-road-audience’, and there’s certainly no specific problem with that. I’m not necessarily after developing a WHOLE course specifically on ‘women issues’ but rather after what you feel the little extras would be that might make a course more aligned to your specific needs and wants.

Would you like your dives to be done at a Spa resort which incorporated a good mix of scuba diving as well as pamper sessions?

Would you even want to go on women-only dive courses or do you prefer the typical mixed class scenario? – I guess this depends on the phase of life anyone is in at any given time…

I know this is a topic raised elsewhere in different formats, but I do really appreciate your honest thoughts and contributions.

Kind regards

When I was in OW, I had an issue with the weight belt digging into my hips and the male instructor was unsympathetic.

I would attend a women only dive course. The male/female differences become more pronounced in tech diving. I felt like a wimp, frankly.

This may sound trivial, but best cosmetics for the sun such as water proof mascara and how to keep your hair from looking like steel wool after a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom