What women want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mania:
You are all very welcome. I can even get some nail polish for you (my favourite one lately "Irresistable" by Chanel).
:rofl3:

As for clarification.
I have asked already few times the defenders of nail polish, hair and make up to show me threads when women issues are discussed other than that.
If there are - and we all agreed there are differences in physiology, medicine and so on then women would not find answer to their question in the general medicine forum. This is why this forum was created - women issues DIVING RELATED. Why do I always find diving related women issues concentrate more on the looks than diving per se?

So all of you that keep repeated that women are interested in more than girlie stuff - please show me this.

And one more thing - I ahve absolutly nothing against girlie stuff. But once in a while, not always.
I'm a woman too. OK, I barely have any problems with hair (they are naturally curly so I don't have to do anything with them). Salty water is - as a matter of fact - the best medicine for my hair and skin. As for make - up, well....I use it but not on everyday basis. And not while diving. Not sure whether it has anything to do with bra burning attitude though. In my upbringing I was taught that in different places you dress differently and make up differently. And in some places you don't use make up because it's overdoing things. And overdoing is not what a Lady should do.

Mania

I think women are more interested in things that they are more directly impacted by. Unless, you've had DCS or other physiological issues related to your sex, you may not feel so concerned by them.

Personally, I don't have a chest so the subject of BCD's made for the female anatomy never much concerned me much. Trying to buy a wetsuit whose size chart conforms to Barbie standards is more of a concern! Or masks made for a tiny face!

I have lost plenty of sculptured nails to the sport so it is of some concern. As for makeup, I've been blessed with really good skin so not wearing it is not much of a concern! On the other hand, I've known a number of friends who haven't been quite so blessed so I can see their end of things. If they made it so that it would stay on and not get into my eyes, I'd be game!

And hey, what gal doesn't want to look their best diving so they put themselves out there before the non-diving swedish bikini team bimbo sweeps the DM/instructor off his feet with her makeup clad beauty while I'm too busy trying to hang tough and seem like I know what I'm talking about when it comes to Physics!

While I think women can be as good as men in science or physics, IF THEY DESIRE TO BE, I don't think one should go against their nature to prove a point. Not saying that it's necessarily in a women's nature, but that it should be up to each to choose their path. Personally, I was raised by a man who pushed education in general. Only much later, did I find that I have a more artistic nature that has been entirely disregarded. Now, in my forties, I'm trying to follow my true nature!

I don't know much about Poland to compare it to how things are in America, but here we've come a long way and found that we really haven't achieved equality. Yes, we can be scientists and capable business women, but most have achieved that by learning to do it all. Most of my peers in my career and job (information technology) are the major bread winners of their famiy AND the primary caretakers. Yeah, they can do it all! But most of them have husbands who seem like their not even capable of changing a light bulb! Let alone pulling their weight around the home! Personally, I think we really won't have acheived equality until we can get men to participate in all facets of the family without feeling like they'd been castrated in doing so.

When we figure out how to bridge that gap, then we'll really have something going for ourselves and will not be just the women minding the kids on the beach while the men dive!:D

I thought the women's views forum was for womens views. I wonder if any women have ever posted in the Basic Scuba diving forum, the Technical Diving Specialties forum, or the Dive Medicine forum, etc. I've had threads moved to more appropriate forums. Personally, I would think tech or physiological questions as they relate to women SHOULD be in these other forums... since this is a forum for women's VIEWS. Women's views should go in this forum. I can't imagine assuming women only care about nails because they don't post medical or dive questions in THIS forum.

Personally, while I might consider posting a thread on SB about a female medical concern I have... if it really concerned me, I'd make a call to DAN. You get waaaaay to many varied answers on a message board.

I wonder if TS&M ever gets her nails done.

Hypothermia and Hot Showers (Catherine posted in this one... she must not be a bubble head after all! :rofl3: said in total sarcasm, Catherine! I have never, would never, and don't think you are a bubble head- I always find your posts interesting and very often enlightening)
Pregnancy a topic already mentioned but obviously a topic of great concern to women (and I couldn't find any mention of nail polish or conditioner anywhere!)
Lasik not focused on women and diving, but posted by chickdiver (does the use of the term "chick" in her username indicate a latent tendency to demoralize herself by having fun with the fact that she was born female? (also sarcasm :D )
Knees Several women replied... or are women only interested in serious subjects when they actually post the thread?
Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue posted by (gasp) a woman!

Some of these are old, but I specifically did a search for the term "women" which cut out a lot of newer threads I'm sure. Does asking non-female-related questions about dive medicine and scuba mean that women don't care about anything but nails, too? I'm done searching. This is stupid.

TheRedHead:
What in the hell is bunco?

Bunco is a card game. I've never heard of it being done with dice. It's a very COMPETETIVE card game and played at a fast pace. I've played with my mother-in-law and she's goooood. I actually let the "b" word slip once when we were playing and we both about died laughing!

We don't drink margaritas when we do it (but that's a good idea...). I also play hand and foot with her (another card game). She is a lot of fun and we have a great time- I went on a week-long trip to Florida with my mom-and-dad-in-law when my husband gave me (another one of those) long breaks from being on the road. I don't know anyone else who would go on vacation alone with her in-laws!

TheRedHead:
Bent boobs would be.......very bad.

I almost fell over when I read this- laughing hysterically (the :rofl3: smilie doesn't do it justice!)

I lied about being done. But this is stupid:

Deaf Divers posted by a man (I think) but replied to by several women
Trimix for Girls they must be referring to the new tri-mix nail polish by Loreal.

and from accidents and incidents (but maybe these are all just "I broke a nail" stories... I mostly just skimmed the threads so I could have missed this!)
DAN accident statistics posted by a women and... OMG... CATHERINE responds!
USCG Lessons are you ready for this... actually POSTED by Catherine! I the 96821 girl, has earned the right to ask if anyone knows a better way to get rid of tangles after a dive...

***edited for spelling error***

This whole thing reminds me of the movie Legally Blonde. One of the female law students is at a party talking with one of the male law students about how even our very language is male-oriented. She points out the used of the word "semester." She says that's why she has petitioned the school to call the fall session the fall OVESTER instead!

That is a beautiful movie!

trucker girl:
Trimix for Girls[/URL] they must be referring to the new tri-mix nail polish by Loreal.

I think OPI has a new line of Diving-Related colours for fall. You know how they have those catchy little names?

"I'm-Not-Really-A-Diver"

"Your-Dive-Boat-Or-Mine"

"A-Rose-At-Dawn-Narc'd-By-Noon"

"Belize-It-Or-Not-I-Like-Nails"

"Chick-Diver-Cherry"

"Diver-Diver-Boat's-On-Fire"

"Did-Someone-Say-Nitrox?"

"Not-So-Bora-Bora-ing-In-My-Pink-Wetsuit"

"Skinny-Dip'n-Lake-Mich'gn-With-My-Pink-Snorkel"

"Suzi-Sells-Trimix-By-The-Seashore"

"That's-An-Eel-Of-A-Color"

"The-Grape-Lakes-In-My-Purple-Fins"

"Yucatan-If-You-Want-Just-Remember-Your-Sunscreen"

OK I give up
I will try to remember for the future.

Women Views Diving Related - this forum is to discuss girlie diving topics. Only.

Other forums - this is a place to discuss diving and women do post there. I'm really shocked

(ok, i'm kidding)

I thought this forum is for discussing women views that are diving related and/or concerns women. In broader aspects.

I promise I will remember that this is not what this forum is for.

Mania

trucker girl:
I would think tech or physiological questions as they relate to women SHOULD be in these other forums... since this is a forum for women's VIEWS.

Why? :huh:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom