Permanent solution to fogging on the Scuba Masks involving Nanotechnology

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You guys are brutal! I would love a mask that really had a permanent no-fog built in. I tried a few 10-15 years ago, and they all failed miserably. I doubt I would pay much more for a mask that claimed to possess such an ability. As one person noted, fit and comfort are far more important. I also want a very low volume.

The No.1 solution to a permanent fog free mask? Practice mindfulness with your gear and spend 2 mins cleaning your mask with baby shampoo (whatever's on the boat) before each and every dive. Cost? EUR0.00!

I find it strange that when the average dive mask in the market costs about EUR80 the OP is thinking about solutions that begin at EUR200?… hopefully the business plans will go back to the drawing board.

Perhaps any new/revolutionary permanent solution for mask fogging is best marketed to dive mask/lens manufacturers for industrial application at scale during manufacturing rather than actual users as an aftermarket solution?

FWIW, Lens coatings can be expensive - I was just looking at polarised sunglasses with number for my eyesight yesterday and while plain indoor lenses by Essilor are being marketed at approx $40, the ones with polarising, UVA/UVB, smudge, scratch and mist resistance (Crizal Xperia with Rock coating) are being quoted at $140 and above in my city.

I find it strange that when the average dive mask in the market costs about EUR80 the OP is thinking about solutions that begin at EUR200?
It's not strange: they're trying to figure all this out. Some things are just expensive and the effort to deal with foggy masks go back quite a ways. I bought my first mask from Hal Watts back in 1969. It was a tri-panel, huge-volume Scubapro mask which paired well with the Jets I bought from him at the same time. Being quite new to diving, I was quite frustrated with fogging, so Hal sold me the best in a de-fogging solution. I went back to freedive the springs (I lived in Central Florida) and generously coated the three plates with the solution. Wow! No fog! Unfortunately, I didn't rinse the mask. The directions on the bottle were smeared, so I had no idea what I was doing. On the second or third ascent I happened to look up, and some of that ooze got into my right eye. Ye-ouch!!! The pain was excruciating, and I pulled my mask off, desperately trying to rinse the pain out. It didn't work, and I realized I was actually blind in that eye. My mom took me to the ER, with no relief. The next day, I saw my optometrist, who sent me down the road to an ophthalmologist. It took about a week for my vision to be restored, but I've never ever trusted that stuff. I lick my mask now, usually not availing myself of the spit contaminated mask buckets they have on most boats.

So, while I would love a permanent coating of some sort to solve this issue, 200 smackers is a steep barrier for me to even try it. I have a lot of free spit that I have ready access to. I find that getting the right fit is the most important aspect to choosing a mask. For me, the Mako Ultra-low Volume Freediving Mask is the best fit. I love it and have two spares, just in case.

1716728919408.png
-​

So, while I would love a permanent coating of some sort to solve this issue, 200 smackers is a steep barrier for me to even try it. I have a lot of free spit that I have ready access to. I find that getting the right fit is the most important aspect to choosing a mask. For me, the Mako Ultra-low Volume Freediving Mask is the best fit. I love it and have two spares, just in case.

Pete:

I appreciate the shout out about MAKO. However I think you might have provided an incorrect link, since this is for a dedicated freedive training mask that has a plastic lense.

Possibly you meant to provide this link of the MAKO Minimus mask?

Thanks
dano

Pete:

I appreciate the shout out about MAKO. However I think you might have provided an incorrect link, since this is for a dedicated freedive training mask that has a plastic lense.

Possibly you meant to provide this link of the MAKO Minimus mask?

Thanks
dano
What??? You think you know more about your masks than I do? Well, OK, you've got a point! Thanks for the correction. I luv your mask. Here is my first Mako mask, I now use your blue mask, as I like to be colorful underwater. Sharks and other predators are often black, and fish feel threatened. I'm guiding a special needs (adaptive) diver for Diveheart here. Your mask just doesn't leak, and it allows me to have great situational awareness since I don't have keep dealing with clearing my mask. It's awesome on my rebreather too! Low volume and no leaks are my idea of the ideal mask.

1716731885410.jpeg

Looked at the survey but the cost question was a killer. To not use up CAD$40 of premium antifog spray a year (yeah I like the good stuff and I share a lot) I would have to keep a mask for years to have an expensive permanent solution make sense. Not to mention I have to change prescription lenses every two years as my eyes shift.

If this was a CAD$50 (EUR$35) add on to my CAD$300 prescription lenses (preferably offered by the MFG as an add-on) I would go for it... but that's about as much as I would consider spending.

This is an interesting idea but instead of trying to sell to end users at a high cost and low frequency repeat why not sell to MFG's in bulk to not only drop the end user price but minimize in house promotion costs and boost unit sales?

I've been working from a materials-on-hand version of lowviz's strategy: dishwasher then additional surface etching with ammonia. Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

I think we owe a lot to his insight and experimentation!

Instead of working up a paste, I've used liquid houshold ammonia with vegetable oil as an evaporation barrier after several trips through the diswasher and then a couple after to clean up the oil. Anti-Fogging Treatments for New Masks. (a comparison of techniques)

Seemed to work pretty well for my frameless masks, but would likely destroy any plastic which would be exposed to the ammonia directly or in vapor. The oil does do a good job of containing the ammonia with no significant odor when opening the sealed container after almost a week.

Likely nowhere near as good as a nanotech coating, but so far a good preformance to cost ratio.

Dear Users,

Thank you for your understanding and patience regarding the fogging issues with scuba masks. We greatly appreciate your valuable feedback and the time you took to share your insights.

We are excited to share that our team is actively working on a revolutionary solution utilising cutting-edge nanotechnology. This advanced approach holds the promise of providing a permanent solution to mask fogging, ensuring clear vision during every dive. Your input is invaluable as we strive to enhance the diving experience for everyone in the community.

We understand that there have been various temporary solutions to mask fogging, such as using toothpaste, baby shampoo, or specialized sprays. However, we believe that nanotechnology can offer a superior, long-lasting solution. As soon as we have a beta version ready for testing, we would be more than happy to share a couple of masks with you. This will allow you to experience firsthand how effective this technology can be, and we are confident it will prove to be a game-changer.

Thank you once again for your understanding and support. We look forward to providing you with a fog-free diving experience soon.

Best regards,

Dario A Viana
CEO
VMI Consulting

I think it would be advantageous if MAKO included in their low volume range a flash looking mask
of this twin lens style that accepted the wide range of Tusa/Scubapro plus and minus vision lenses

DPMA-AL-GD.jpg

That's what I think anyway

81c4da7304b0e553c11b38e21ccf4dea.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom