What women want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scratchmyback:
I think OPI has a new line of Diving-Related colours for fall. You know how they have those catchy little names?

No, seriously, this is terrible...

Sienna You Under the Water
Gills Just Wanna Have Fun
Giboa is Grape for Deep Dives
Nitrogen is in My Blood
Dawn over the Dive Site
Sea a Tank Explode
I'll Flipper Ya for it!
Is That a Snorkel in Your Pocket?
Buddy Breathing is for Lovers
Beautiful in my BC
Oriskany Orange
Shark Attack Black
Spiegel Grove Sienna
and, my favorite,
"You're Gonna Die"

But, I must say, I would have expected something a bit more open-minded from a mod.

Just a reminder that we moderators are allowed to participate in threads with our own opinions -- which are NOT the position of ScubaBoard as an entity. On some subjects, mods can be very opinionated!

Anyway, mania, the reason nobody's addressing your question about susceptibility to DCS in women versus men is because THERE ISN'T ANY INFORMATION OUT THERE ON THE SUBJECT! Gene gave you some links to some papers, and that's just about what there is. Honestly, there isn't that much diving research, period, and what there is tends to be initiated by paid for by the military, which isn't terribly interested in gender-related differences in diving, since there aren't a lot of female SEALs :)

We may be VERY interested in the topic, but since there's almost no information about it, it makes for a short discussion. "Gee, do you think there are differences based on body fat percentages?" "Shoot, I dunno." End of discussion . . .

In reality, most things about diving ARE gender-neutral. Diving technique, equipment (except for fit), protocols, locations, etc. are universal. When Liz brought up the idea of a women's diving conference, we had to thrash around a bit to figure out what good topics would be, but we did find them. And they might not be absolutely women-specific -- Fitting exposure protection, for example, could be a problem as much for small men as for small women, although I think most manufacturers have a bigger selection of men's sizes than of women's, at least from my experience with dry suits -- but they are interesting to women.

And some of those topics are going to have to do with grooming, because grooming is very different between the sexes, for the most part. I don't know many men who wear mascara and worry about whether it will dissolve and run into their eyes when they're diving . . . But that was a question I asked the videographer for our Fundies class, was what she was wearing!

A concern for looking good doesn't imply that the woman in question doesn't have a brain or use it, mania. I've seen pictures of you in girly clothes, and I'll bet you didn't shut off your intelligence when you wore them! During my residency, it was my conceit to go in on non-call days wearing heels and dresses (usually paid for it by having to do some long, involved procedure which required standing in one place) simply because I enjoyed indulging my feminine side when I could.

Nowadays, I live in sweats, scrubs, riding breeches and diving undergarments, and no, I don't get my nails done -- They don't last that long. But give me an opportunity to head out for a social event, and I dig into the closet for the few remaining feminine things in there!

mania:
I made here a new sticky.
Quite a bunch of the most importnat questions and answers for those women who were not able to trace this article by themselves.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=195491

Mania

I like the thread. Of course, it may lead to fewer threads about those topics since they are already covered. But it's a good source for information!

Even if it doesn't discuss cuticle care... :blinking:

The same goes for pregnancy and diving, information-wise. There isn't really much information out there and certainly no one is going to knowingly risk the health of their unborn child to find out. And no researcher would touch the issue.

It all comes down to one answer: Don't!

While the nail tips and cosmetic options might be only of concern to women, there are a few men I've known who would be equally desirous of of the hair tips as any woman, including my certifying instructor! The man wore more hair spray than any girl I know!

In addition, when it comes to women's issues relating to health, why should any of it be relegated to a women's only conference? Many have wives, girlfriends, daughters, etc. diving with them. While not all, I'm sure many men would like to know the info as well.

While the questions we have might not be those which you discuss around the water cooler, I really don't see what the embarrassement is during a forum on women's health and diving. If they really are all that personal, just call DAN.

Now back to the cuticle care tips!:D And OPI dive colors!:rofl3:

In all fun, I know diving is not a sexy sport. Fetishist maybe, but not sexy. So while I don't wear make-up while diving or worry about anything other than making sure I don't rip my hair out on the silicone strap while taking off a mask, I always am looking for a more lady-like way to remove the boogies. :)

Show me that on ANY conference schedule! Or any of the other topics below....

Techniques 101: How to strip off a 2pc wetsuit in a 3'X3' head while on a pitching boat.
-- Yes it does include putting your head against the bulkhead and one foot on the hull...

Fashion 201: Matching shades of black. Can Oxycheq Black be worn with PInnacle Karbon?

Technical 330: Does a pink stage bottle mean you aren't NTEC compliant?

Bobbin-along:
...while taking off a mask, I always am looking for a more lady-like way to remove the boogies.

Me too. The mask is the last thing I take off. I wait till I'm near my towel and then give my face a good wipe.
Bobbin-along:
...Techniques 101: How to strip off a 2pc wetsuit in a 3'X3' head while on a pitching boat.
-- Yes it does include putting your head against the bulkhead and one foot on the hull...
Another very good point. Some of the women in my dive club have created their own mobile change rooms. It's two big beach towels sewn together with holes for the arms and head. They change under that, on the boat.

Then they do their nails.

Of course, you wouldn't do you nails first because you could ruin them!

And generally on a shore dive I do the wipe-n-fling method taught by the guys I dive with. I do avoid trying to clear my sinus cavities by blowing with one finger against a nostril into the water however. My boogies don't need to be shared with others or analyzed by my buddy.

scratchmyback:
Me too. The mask is the last thing I take off. I wait till I'm near my towel and then give my face a good wipe.

Another very good point. Some of the women in my dive club have created their own mobile change rooms. It's two big beach towels sewn together with holes for the arms and head. They change under that, on the boat.

Then they do their nails.
That's very creative. I have perfected the art of holding a very large beach towel wrapped around me with my teeth whilst removing various clothing articles under it. For the record, though... I got over being shy a long time ago. I have no problem stripping to underwear on the boat- it covers at least as much as the average bikini, right?

I'm not shy, but I know some people aren't that comfortable with changing in public. Which is how one guy split the head door when he fell through it trying to get out of his farmer john. You grow up around some regions or sports and all modesty is thrown to the winds. You change clothes, there is minimal peeking, and you get on with life.

Here are some things I would like to see in a female-oriented dive training program (or in ANY dive program, but that's not likely to happen):

1) As previously mentioned, gender-specific physiology issues.

2) Gear discussions and available rentals taking into account ALL body types. I am 5 feet, 135 lbs, and a 36D: I had to buy my gear much earlier than I would have liked just to get something that came even remotely close to fitting. Even now I mount my tank backwards to keep the reg from restricting my ability to put my head back. I also was not offered anything smaller than an aluminum 80 during training - I didn't even know smaller tanks existed.

3) Instructors who are not freaked out by the sight of a few tears. I, like many women (notice I did not say ALL), cry when I am frustrated, and it doesn't mean anything except that I'm frustrated. So many guys get all wigged out.

4) A "no spouses or boyfriends during training" rule. My ex was on the boat when I did my OW dives, and he kept popping in to correct, judge, or say hi at the worst possible times.

5) And yes, info on how to keep my hair and nails from falling out. I like to "girl up" after a dive, and have improvised ways to deal, but the toll diving takes on my hair and manicure is annoying. Not so much that I'd quit diving over it, but enough so I'd kiss anyone who could tell me how to correct it.

I can't speak for ALL women, but I can say that I am different than most men - I have different strengths, a different learning style, I think differently, I'm a different size - hell, I even SMELL different! Viva la difference - it's what makes flirting so much fun!

Back
Top Bottom