What women want?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deleted, posted twice while editing!

That it was! In her words, Viva la differance!:coffee:

TSandM:
Just a reminder that we moderators are allowed to participate in threads with our own opinions -- which are NOT the position of ScubaBoard as an entity. On some subjects, mods can be very opinionated!
Thanks a lot TSM

TSandM:
But give me an opportunity to head out for a social event, and I dig into the closet for the few remaining feminine things in there!

And the same with me - although I wear high heels 2 - 3 times a year. But social event, work, even everyday life is a different thing.
scratchmyback:
As someone who makes their living providing professional nail services I finally have to ask you to quit dismissing the $4 billion beauty industry so flippantly.
This was posted in the sticky I made and honestly I think this thread was not the place to have such posts. It was suppose to be an informative sticky and many women keep on asking these questions (just do the search in this forum and you will find multiple threads on these topics).

But - I have nothing against nail polish industry although don't like being thretened by the size of it - I really couldn't care less how big is this industry. BTw the industry I work in is much, much bigger than yours. And very often is a subject of jokes. So what?

As long as the freedom of speach exists I can openle say that I don't like particular industry- whatever the size of it. As I may not like weapons industry - which I don't like and nobody can stop me from saying that i think this is industry created for killing other people.

The same with nail polish industry - I have the right to say whatever I think about it. But - please read above - I have nothing against it. I just don't care about it when diving!!!!!! This is not my priority - whether the nail polish would or not would chip. It will, so I don't pain my finger nails when going diving. And it makes me laughing when somebody asks about it. Do I have the right? Yes I do. Do they have to right to keep on asking about nail polish. Yes, they do.

Mania

Maybe we should consider a touch of diplomacy when we are trying to identify what people do and don't consider important to make diving a part of their lives. Antagonizing each other does nothing constructive, instead I ask a truce should be struck.

Like it or not there are a considerable amount of women out there who like to or feel the need to wear make-up often. That said, the issues around water and nails or makeup are important to them. Considering how easy it is to have an acrylic nail lift from the bed and then trapped water and whatnot starts a fungal infection, it's one of several valid concerns. Mascara and mica based eyeshadows are eye irritants and can be of concern as well, so picking an appropriate water resistant makeup is of value as well. Snatching yourself bald on a mask strap isn't pleasant, fine long hair can be so tangled after a dive you have to take extreme measures to NOT have to cut the snarles out, and loads of other issues abound.

I spend enough time in the water on some of these dives my skin prunes and peels off my hands. So what to do with the cracks and peeling lizard skin? If it weren't for some of the women on this board helping I wouln't have found a solution.

There is a reason there are jokes about men trips where they eat pop-tarts and beer all weekend, wear one pair of underwear for 4 days by wearing it forward/backward/inside/outside, and take pride in stinky farts. It's because men do those things out of the presence of women, and sometimes in the presence of women.

I'm glad I'm a woman. I like to pretty up occasionally, I always like to smell good, and you won't find me wearing underwear for 4 days. :) You will find me schlepping equipment, hay bales, sails and whatnot. I can rebuild a reg, rifle, or 3X SU carb set too. We as women are lucky to be able to be whatever it is we want to be, and that's the cool part of being female. Men don't always have that luxury unless they want to suffer ridicule of their peers.

I decided to step out of this thread because of the tone of your posts Mania but I just have to say...with you there seems to be no room for discussion, just you repeating yourself and saying how simple all of your "solutions" are. It is arrogant in the extreme to think you know all the answers for everyone else. I'm glad you're a young strong woman with strong opinions, but they are just that...your opinions, and they carry no more weight than any other womans opinion.

I'll walk away again now because I have no stomach for this type of interaction.

Quite frankly, Mania, I've read what you posted on your other sticky thread and I don't see a whole lot of discussion points there! Only information that any of us interested could have gotten ourselves from DAN or a Google search. What are we supposed to talk about, why pregnancy should or shouldn't be a contraindication to diving?:confused: And quite frankly, if I am recovering from a Masectomy or Hysterectomy, when can I dive is going to be the least of my worries and I'll take my advice from my M.D.

Now, back the the topic of "what women in diving want", I want to know how to carry doubles into a dive shop on 3.5" stilettos! That's a feat, I'd like to master! I can't even carry my body weight on those things! :wink:

MeiLing
the sticky is not for discussion but as an informative thread. And I agree most of it could be googled but these questions keep up coming - look through threads here.
So I though doing such sticky will help those women who want to ask all these question and first went to SB instead of google.
If the majority of you will tell me such sticky is not needed I will delete it

mania

It certainly doesn't hurt to have it, but the point of this thread by the OP was addressing "What women want" with regards to diving.

What everyone's posts overwhelmingly keep saying is that women still want to be women, and recognized as such, even when they're spending their time pursuing a predominently male-dominated sport! Somehow that seems as though it offends you.:confused:

What everyone's posts overwhelmingly keep saying is that women still want to be women, and recognized as such, even when they're spending their time pursuing a predominently male-dominated sport!

Spot on, MeiLing!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom