Wanna stay down longgerrr

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Definitely times changed.
I and my wife worked as professional DMs and instructors for 5 years with a top-level tour operator, named Club Vacanze, running a dozen of resorts here in Italy, at Crete, at Maldives, at Seychelles, in Kenya and at Tobago.
In all these resorts sport activity was "all included". Diving was included too (so it was free for customers).
And in most cases diving was always planned with deco, providing all the required safety tools.
It is a pity that the industry standards have been lowered so much, to the point that now I find many divers who think that deco dives are "technical" and should not be done in a recreational way.

It is a pity that the industry standards have been lowered so much, to the point that now I find many divers who think that deco dives are "technical" and should not be done in a recreational way.
Standards haven't been lowered; teaching how to dive with mandatory deco stops has become a income stream separate from basic skills.

Definitely times changed.
I and my wife worked as professional DMs and instructors for 5 years with a top-level tour operator, named Club Vacanze, running a dozen of resorts here in Italy, at Crete, at Maldives, at Seychelles, in Kenya and at Tobago.
In all these resorts sport activity was "all included". Diving was included too (so it was free for customers).
And in most cases diving was always planned with deco, providing all the required safety tools.
Yep. We've gotten a lot smarter and a lot safer since those unfettered golden days.

Yep. We've gotten a lot smarter and a lot safer since those unfettered golden days.
Definitely we have got smarter. Mostly thanks to computers.
I am not really sure we have gotten safer: most divers nowadays are not trained well enough in comparison with the standard training of the seventies (for example, they were not using a CC rebreathers for their training, nor were trained to deco dives in deep air).
I think that everyone assumes that a better-trained diver is safer. And now we allow to dive to people which has got just a very minimal training, which are unable to free-dive, and perhaps even to swim without fins...
For getting the first diving certification, at the time one had to swim underwater horizontally for 25 meters without fins (underwater frog swimming), and to reach 15 meters free diving (with just fins and mask).
There was also a diver-rescue-and-bring-to-shore exercise, again to be done freediving, rescuing a scuba diver down at 10 meters and carrying him to shore for at least 100 meters.
I think that divers trained at that level were safer than nowadays' OW divers.

Wow other people claimed a SAC of 9l/min so i said i MIGHT get a 6l/min if i sit down and concentrate, damn. My question was still never answered so you can stop grueling me, as most of the info i presented was and estimate or recall of previous dives as i said......

Wow other people claimed a SAC of 9l/min so i said i MIGHT get a 6l/min if i sit down and concentrate, damn. My question was still never answered so you can stop grueling me, as most of the info i presented was and estimate or recall of previous dives as i said......

Not specifically to you, but why would anyone want to calculate their SAC for anything else than an entire dive?
Alternatively a hard working portion of a dive?

Not specifically to you, but why would anyone want to calculate their SAC for anything else than an entire dive?
Alternatively a hard working portion of a dive?

Deco or safety stop time artificially lowers your SAC rate.

Hey Tyler, I'm not really interested in speculating what your personal SAC rate is, so I won't, but I will say that 6l/min is not a realistic goal for most people.

Much more useful to you would be to figure out your own SAC rate is. If you have any dive logs laying around with the following data points, you'll have what you need to do the math: tank size, starting pressure, ending pressure, average depth, and dive duration. This will give you a base line which you can use to plan dives with enough gas, and to plan what a safe return pressure should be, aka "rock bottom" gas.

Doing the math on a few different dives under different conditions can help to get a sense of how much this varies -- spoiler, it's a lot! The fact of the high variance is really important for planning a safe dive, because in a bad situation you should expect to burn through at least double your worst-case SAC (double because you're gas sharing with a buddy, and "at least" since you'll probably both be pretty stressed out).

At this point the only thing that will help this discussion is a picture of one of your profiles along with the gas you used. (in which you claim to reach a really high cns%) Alternatively a similar profile from a buddy will do if you can't access yours.

Deco or safety stop time artificially lowers your SAC rate.

Can't see how as I am not hanging on a rope doing deco obligations and the first stops really are just part of the dive and are cleared as so short in time. The last stop can be done on a reef wall or over a reef that is deep enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom