* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, as I said, the reason Vortex was chosen is that it provides a good central location for various types of diving for the attendees . . . be it shore, boat or cave.

the K

SuPrBuGmAn:
There may or may not be Tshirts for the event. Kentley?

If we keep the same basic design, and change the date, they should be alot cheaper than they were last year. They should only have to make one screen. I can make a call next week and get a price if everyone is Okay with that.

The Kraken:
Well, as I said, the reason Vortex was chosen is that it provides a good central location for various types of diving for the attendees . . . be it shore, boat or cave.

the K

It is in a good location, although not for shore diving. You have PCB and Destin jetties, both about an hour away, that are tide driven - which would mean getting back to the campsites after midnight. There really isn't anything else shore accessible in those areas.

I'm just playing the devils advocate here, because its hella fun, but if saltwater is the majority preffered dive - why camp an hour away? You spent half a day in PCB yourself last year, and far less time in the springs itself.

I'll dive freshwater, saltwater, off a boat(if its mine - LOL), or off the beach. It doesn't make a difference to me. That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be out of the question changing certain things up to keep the majority happy. No reason to over-react.

kentley:
If we keep the same basic design, and change the date, they should be alot cheaper than they were last year. They should only have to make one screen. I can make a call next week and get a price if everyone is Okay with that.

Still pretty early, dates are still like 6 months away.

Just throwing this out there, but I know there is quite a bit of room at Vortex to accommodate all of us (I wasn't there last year but it's my understanding a lot of people turned out, and it should only be more this time around) I don't know that there is anywhere near Orange beach that all of us could camp out, throw down and party.

Also as far as location, yeah Vortex would be more expensive, but being I'm in the K's neck of the woods, it's a heckuva lot closer than Orange beach for me. I can be at Vortex in like 6 hours, whereas Orange beach would take me at least another 2 hours of driving.

Besides, isn't the 2nd annual crab grab going to be at Orange Beach?

Just my thoughts...

photohikedive:
There's the campground at the state park, but now that you mention it, they might not be all too happy about the beer part of the 'toberfest

That was my concern.

well, looking at the rules and this one pretty much ruins it.....

7. Conduct (220-5-.07)
(1) It shall be unlawful to incite or participate in riots, indulge in boisterous, abusive,
threatening, indecent or disorderly conduct in any State Park area. Anyone in violation of
this regulation may be forcibly ejected from the park or arrested and shall not be entitled
to a refund of any fee or rental.

I don't think beer would be an issue, I've gotten toasted in state parks before without any problems - with the rangers knowing. Gulf State Park actually has more room and more options for staying, as in camping, as well as cabins(not just one multi-room lodge another a pair of buildings with common sleeping areas; ie Vortex).

Aside from that, we'll probably have less idiots running around in a State Park. During the first Vortoberfest, some drunk kid taco'd his Cherokee on Vortex Grounds driving around drunk(donuts, speeding, ect). On another occassion, some redneck got stabbed in the campsite behind me at Vortex. Despite the size of our party and our shinanigans, we aren't looking to get anyone hurt, and we don't compare to the chaos of the local rednecks that house themselves at Vortex in the warmer months.

this one doesn't say we couldn't have beer in the campsites....

14. Possession or Consumption of Alcoholic Beverages at Certain State Park Areas
(220-5-.16)

(4) The following areas at Gulf State Park: All beach areas, including, but not limited
to, the public beach areas at Alabama Point, Romar Beach, and Cotton Bayou; and
adjacent parking areas at all beach areas; and also including the beach pavilion, the
state fishing pier, all picnic areas and the camp pavilion.

photohikedive:
well, looking at the rules and this one pretty much ruins it.....

7. Conduct (220-5-.07)
(1) It shall be unlawful to incite or participate in riots, indulge in boisterous, abusive,
threatening, indecent or disorderly conduct in any State Park area. Anyone in violation of
this regulation may be forcibly ejected from the park or arrested and shall not be entitled
to a refund of any fee or rental.

We're really not that wild.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom