* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s:
This is very true. Though PCB is about 45 minutes away, the diving options there aren't as good. Even if you do boat trips, the boat operators there only want to go to the same exact sites over and over (Black Bart & Bridge Span #14). In Gulf Shores we can hook up with Gary's Gulf Diver's and have a kick-butt trip somewhere.

This is still an option we should let everyone consider as a location. :D

I am sure there is a six pack or two that could be persuaded to go where the masses willed.....

Still more offshore dive sites in the Gulf Shores/Orange Beach area than offshore PCB as far as I know. Way more beach diving possibilities.

I'll be diving regardless of fests. :p

I'll be diving Vortoberfest regardless of location.

I'm just OK with a change of venue, if that be the case. Especially if it ends up closer to home. :p

The Kraken came up with Vortoberfest(honestly, I thought it was Rick that brought the idea about - but that was awhile back and I can't be sure - LOL). Nobody owns it :p

photohikedive:
there's always room for more dive fests

mmmm Crab Grab....

The reason Vortoberfest is where it is, is because it allows for a good logistical center point.

Those who want to do some boat dives can zip down to PC. Those who want to do some caves, can. Those who are satisfied with Vortex, well . . . all is well and good.

There is plenty of room to camp. There are acommodations. The management is not going to call the cops on us if we're a wee bit rowdy in the wee hours of the morning.

For me, it's not as far away as Orange Beach. The main reason Vortex was selected is because it's somewhat centralized.

And just one or two other things that seem to be going by the wayside nowadays . . .

. . . tradition and respect.

That's all I got to say bout that . . .

the K

I don't think there was any disrespect involved with discussing a possible change in location for the event. Infact, this isn't even a new discussion, it was discussed quite a bit last year as well. I don't remember anyone's feelings getting hurt then...?

I think the tradition lies more in part of a great get-together of souls with similar interests, diving, dining, and drinking together. This, to me, is the important thing... maybe others are getting more out of it... I dive all these places regularly, so its the company that keeps me coming - I can dive em anytime.

Vortex has been a logical place for the past few years, but their pricing is getting ridiculous - an air fill price is increased if you aren't paying their bloated dive fees, for instance. This will not effect me, as I will just bring a half dozen tanks with me regardless - but others who are wanting to do quite a bit of diving, will have to pay a premium for it.

Like I said, I'll be there, wherever it may be :p You can't blame a person for being OK with a move closer to home, you just stated that the location of Vortex is better for you - so you obviously see my point :)

Actually, Gulf Shores is a longer drive for me, but I wasn't thinking of just myself when I agreed with the others on the venue change.

Like Bugman says, nobody "owns" Vortoberfest.

This thread shouldn't turn into an argument or childish bickering. Starting this out with a negative thread sure won't make new Scubaboard members want to come....

Back
Top Bottom