* * * Vortoberfest III (2007) Mega Dive Plan * * *

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will be there. Calender marked and vacation spoken for at work.

SuPrBuGmAn:
I'm all for doing it wherever, but Gulf Shores/Orange Beach is much more local to me :) So obviously, I wouldn't have any quips with it being moved here.

Last year, some of the group went to PCB(or Destin? can't remember) for boat dives anyway - this would put them much closer to the saltwater option. Alot farther away from freshwater though. Still, lots of free diving available, some of it can be really good, or really rough - its much more weather dependant in the Gulf than at the springs.

Well heck, PCB is only about 30-45 minutes from vortex anyway, right? Since we're making a weekend out of this, a group of us could always head down to PCB and do a boat dive saturday morning, then head back for more diving at vortex and the cookout and party.

DawgDiver:
Well heck, PCB is only about 30-45 minutes from vortex anyway, right? Since we're making a weekend out of this, a group of us could always head down to PCB and do a boat dive saturday morning, then head back for more diving at vortex and the cookout and party.

If we do it in Vortex, I'll be sticking to the springs. If we do in near the Gulf, I'll be sticking to saltwater. If we do it near the Gulf, I'd rather Gulf Shores/Orange beach, because there are a hellovalot more diving options, not only as far as offshore dive sites, but there are a half dozen or so beach sites as well.

paulwall:
Oratober fest? Could be Crab Grab 2007!

When did we do it last year? I think the time period was right, despite our lack of grabbed crabs. Days afterwards, I snagged tons of em!

October get-together should always be called Vortoberfest despite location, for posperity!

mike_s:
Of course we'll need a T-shirt for this also!!!

We had em last year :) Actually, I have a Crab Grab hoody.

The Kraken:
Well, seeing as how I was the one who originally started "Vortoberfest", I just sort of assumed that I might have some input.

Bring on the input, but keep in mind Vortoberfest belongs to everyone :) It was just your idea :wink:

SuPrBuGmAn:
If we do it in Vortex, I'll be sticking to the springs. If we do in near the Gulf, I'll be sticking to saltwater. If we do it near the Gulf, I'd rather Gulf Shores/Orange beach, because there are a hellovalot more diving options, not only as far as offshore dive sites, but there are a half dozen or so beach sites as well.

This is very true. Though PCB is about 45 minutes away, the diving options there aren't as good. Even if you do boat trips, the boat operators there only want to go to the same exact sites over and over (Black Bart & Bridge Span #14). In Gulf Shores we can hook up with Gary's Gulf Diver's and have a kick-butt trip somewhere.

This is still an option we should let everyone consider as a location. :D

Back
Top Bottom