http://www.diveheart.org/

Updates on Kimber/TekDiveGirl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D_B:
A small update on Kimbers progress and a thank you.

Kimbers balance is still not good. She needs a spotter when she stands up and while walking. While her left leg and foot are slowly getting better she does not have very good control them and it will still take much more therapy before they are significantly better. However, she can now shake hands using her right and give you a good squeeze too :)

Good news: They will now keep her in rehab till the 25th of July from there they will see about extending her stay even longer! .. this is great news because they see her progress, her determination, and want to work more with her :)
Kimber very much wants to stay and work on her recovery too :jump:

The best news we have here is that they have chosen to keep her until the 25th (a week from today). As most can guess, the longer they keep her the better as it is more intensive therapy.

We have to hope at the end of this week they will make a decision to keep her even longer. Sounds kind of strange in a way to say you want someone to stay in rehab but this is what we have to hope for - her NOT being sent home.

Missdirected:
We really weren't sure if here was the best place to post the following. Perhaps a kudos thread would have been more fitting. However, we wanted to be sure each of you who has cared so much, sees it. To date this diving community has raised… are you ready? Maybe I shold wait until tomorrow? :wink: Just teasing :D Okay drum roll...

:drummer:

Ten Thousand Dollars

:monkeydan :wave-smil :monkeydan :wave-smil :monkeydan

This will cover the previous months household bills and an additional four months! Everything, absolutely everything, added up in a big way. We know Kimber was stunned, amazed, appreciative, shocked, and just really touched at what has been done for her. You guys are an amazing group. You have really come through in a big, big, way. Thank you so very much. You guys are awesome!!!!!

We plan on keeping all of you updated as much as we possibly can. I know many have asked what the insurance and DAN is going to cover. I am still a bit sketchy on that so I don’t want to say too much on that just yet. We do know the insurance will run out on the much needed rehabilitation therapy. As we know she is working on developing new neuron pathways. Esentially remapping her nervous system. We believe her insurance only covers twelve weeks. Not nearly enough. When we know more we will let you guys know.

I just wanted to add a special thank you to Howard, Puffer Fish, and D_B, you guys are the best!

I am very sad to report the number I recieved of 10k was incorrect. The funds are at or about 7k. This is still very good but far from the ten we had been told.

Okay here goes, I'm trying on my new voice recognition software got this weekend and posting without Sue behind the keyboard. I've made my great strides my recovery so far. I'm still not ready to go home but they are in no hurry to kick me out.

Hi Guys and Girls,

It’s been a few weeks since I last gave you an update directly from me. As always my wonderful friend Sue is putting all this together for me since I still can’t use both my hands for typing or moving the mouse around. Although I am beginning to use the voice recognition software for short things. Anyway, I am so grateful for everything Sue does for me every day you should never have to be in a position to have a friend like her but if you do Sue would be the model you would want.

My condition improves every day. I have been for six weeks now and I am making progress every day. That progress some days is big and other days it is small. For example up until this morning I had not been able to roll over by myself. Today I can roll over when I am in bed. Two weeks ago I was wheelchair bound, now I can, with assistance walk to the bathroom, and even to the dining room. Today I was able to put on my own shirt whereas last week I was not able to lift my right arm at all.

Each day is filled with a routine that has been designed to help me get back to living a productive life. Physical therapy works with me on how to walk, and move, and maintain balance. Occupational therapy works with me on how to care for my self, wash my face, put on clothes, brush my teeth. I even was able to bake some cookies the other day in the small “mock” apartment they have here where people learn how to care for themselves.

Sue and TJ have turned my room here into a little “Pink Condo” all my things are in different pink containers and bins with big index cards taped to them so I know where to find things and where the staff here can find things. I was getting a bit to confused before that and now it’s easier. I still have difficulty focusing on things and I have to concentrate. When I have too many visitors at one time I have to ask some to leave because I can’t keep track of all of it. This got a bit out of hand and now I have asked visitors to call first before coming in. I love visitors as it keeps me connected to my friends and the outside life but it needed to be organized as well. We have a big calendar on the wall and people schedule when they will be coming in and it helps me have something to look forward too. It also helps me plan time with my three wonderful children, my Aunt and my Mom.

You may have read in some posts from Don ( D_B) that they have let me “out of here” on occasion. There is a program here that allows certain trained people to take me across the street to the little mall there to pick up videos’ or to get my hair cut, to get pizza and ice cream. I was even able to get my nails done! (PINK) I treasure those simple things that we all take for granted, even if only for an hour or so. Last weekend the hospital arranged for a group of us here to go to the movies and we saw Pirates of the Caribbean II and my children came with me. It was just like we used to do as a family.
My challenges each day continue to test me. Sometimes I feel like the Tin Man all rusted and creaky. I can’t use my right hand for much more than gripping. The fingers don’t want to work yet so I am quickly becoming a lefty. I get afraid that when I am walking that I will lose balance and fall. I have a children’s writing book and I trace the letters with a pink marker. I get my laptop out from time to time but that just gets frustrating – I want to type but it just becomes hunt and peck. I get to read the posts and some PM’s that come in but it’s very hard for me to respond quickly.. The voice recognition software is helping me with cognitive work and is allowing me to send some notes and to get back and communicate with my friends. I still get headaches and some things are still painful but the medications help. Finally my sleep pattern has gotten better to where I can sleep for 4-5 hours at a time some nights.

Cards and flowers and gifts and things show up here every day and I can’t tell you enough how it touches me that you have all put out this tremendous effort for me. Sometimes I just cry. My head is in a good place though every once in a while I get a little blue. Most of the time I am smiling and laughing when friends and family are around and I get excited when I accomplish something new. I have learned to be patient.

Some milestones here have been climbing the stairs, being able to crawl on all fours without falling down. And most of all being able to hug my children with both arms.

The plan here is to keep working me so that when it’s time to leave I can walk out of here. A lot has to do with my progress and how much they can push my insurance company. I have weekly visits with my complete medical team and everything that is done I am included in. As you can expect I am not quiet about what I want. But these people in the stroke center here have been just fantabulous for me. I want to stay here as long as I can so that when I leave I can take care of myself and then my children who are with my Aunt now.

My case worker tells me that my benefit package from work also had long term disability coverage in it but that wont kick in until about October and we really don’t know how much is going to be there. But I am starting to take some more control of my finances and am paying some bills on line again. The fund that you all set up for me at http://www.tekdivegirl.org is already coming in very handy. I can’t thank you all enough for what a wonderful thing you have done for me. I understand that there are continuing efforts to keep filling that up. I am just so very grateful for the friends I have out there. I have to thank Tracy and Howard and Garrett for leading the efforts there it is greatly appreciated. To not have to worry about some of the things that will not be covered by insurance eases my mind to no end. Thank you.

So, that’s it for now from me. I’m tired and needs some rest. Thank you again for all your good wishes and Pink Positive thoughts for my recovery. I will get another update to you when I can.

Love Kimber

August 15, 2006

Hi Guys and Girls, I’m still around. The past few weeks have been just incredible for me. My rehab progress has taken off and the treatment of my residual medical issues is pretty much under control. This will be my last update from the hospital as they are letting me go home this week.

It’s been a little more than eleven weeks since I got hurt. I’ve gone from “dead on the deck” to interacting with the living and breathing again. It is a wonder what drive, determination, and medical magic can do. My daily routine for the past nine weeks has been to get up, get dressed, eat and “go to work” physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, recreational therapy, and medical maintenance. I went from not being able to move to now I can get out of bed put my brace on and walk to the bathroom and care for myself in a general way. I don’t use the wheel chair as much anymore. I prefer to walk when I can. But it’s not like you walk or how I used to. Besides, they were getting a little annoyed at me as I was scooting all over the place here! Anyway, I have built up enough strength and coordination in my ability to move around that it’s time for me to go home.

I still can’t use my right hand well at all but it has strength and is beginning to work. I still have trouble coordinating things when there are a lot of people around. Some cognitive things just don’t work yet but they are getting better. I still have trouble focusing and I get tired after a few hours of activity. My headaches are less and less but they still come back. I would love to tell you that I am up and running around like I was before but I am not. I still have a lot of work in front of me but I am going to WALK out of here this week like I had always wanted.

Last week I went to my house with Sue, my Mom, and one of the case workers here and we inspected my place to see what I would need to make it work for me. It did not take much mostly because I am on one level and it’s a small place. Sue and “the boys” (Tyler, and Chad) are moving things around for me, putting some of my big stuff in my mom’s garage and organizing the house so I can live there again. TJ will be moving in with me to take care of me when Sue is not around. It’s a challenge but I am up to it.

Next week after I get settled in my house I will begin out-patient therapy right in the same place I have been for the past nine weeks. Essentially I keep my same schedule but I no longer live there. My day will run from 9-330. What I call “going to work.”

I’m excited about leaving here and I am a little apprehensive. I still get scared of things and I get frustrated when I can’t do things that I think I should be able to. But I am working at it.

I should have my computer up and running when I am home but I don’t spend a lot of time on it because its difficult to use with only one hand. Though I am getting better at it.

I’m still trying to figure out money. I have some long term disability benefits from my job that cover about 60% of my small salary. My mom took care of my regular bills for a few months, and friends have been covering a lot of my day to day expenses. I have been holding off going into the recovery fund you all put together for me at http://www.tekdivegirl.org till I got home. I expect I can stretch that about three months if I am careful. I can’t thank you all enough for all you have contributed and continue to contribute for me. It really helps keep my mind at ease. Sue has a small business plan she is working on for me that can help generate some income as well once I am out of rehab if I can’t go back to regular work, but that’s all for later.

Thank you again for all of your good wishes while I have been recovering. The new work begins now. Next time you hear from me it will be from home.

Love Kimber

August 25th 2006

Hi Guys and Girls,

I’m Home! It has been an interesting week. I was released from the Rehab Center last Wednesday. It was both an exhilarating and sad day rolled into one. All the people who had been caring for me the past 10 weeks were all there to send me off. I got wheeled to the door and I walked out on my own. That was my goal and I was able to achieve it. From “dead on the deck” back to the living and breathing.

Now the real work began. I no longer had a full staff of people to take care of me. I have had to do a lot of things on my own and unfortunately I don’t think I was really prepared for it. I no longer have the “push button” on my bedside. Now I had to go back to thinking for myself and get a lot of things done with help of friends and family. The first thing was to get all the prescriptions filled. Thirteen bottles later at a gross cost of something like $1300 was a bit shocking to me. The good thing is that my co-pay was just about $150. Then to get food ordered for the house to make sure I had some balanced meals. Simple things that in the past were easy for me are now a huge effort. I’m slow and have to rely on others for help.

My friends got my apartment cleaned up and straightened out so I could maneuver around with both the wheelchair and when I walk. It’s still not easy. A real home is a lot different than the mock apartment they had at the rehab center. There was stuff all over that needed to be moved around or removed.

My fiend TJ moved in on Thursday and she stays with me now. She gets home about 9:30 pm and then gets me ready in the morning. But like the rest of you she has a life too and we found pretty quickly that we were going to need some more help. Friends and family pitched in over the first few days and weekend I was home. The “boys” came in over the weekend and got my computers set up and put in rails in the bathrooms so I can move around a bit safer. My son Jeremy was a huge help to me. He spent the entire weekend with me doing whatever I needed. I’m proud of him.

In the meantime my dear Sue had broken her leg and was out of commission and will be for another few weeks. I had come to rely on her so much I am a little lost without her.

Monday I started in the Day Program at the same facility I was in before. This is a bit more work than I expected. Now I have to start getting up at 6:30 just to get ready to be there by 9 am! Plus TJ has to get ready for work too! Some mornings this week it was both funny and stressful. My rehab program is pretty intense we start at 9am and go all the way though till 3 pm when my mom comes and picks me up and takes me home. The first day I was exhausted and discouraged. Everything was a tiresome effort but I kept at it. Rehab combined with living back at home is just a huge undertaking. I thought as though maybe I had gotten released too soon. As much as I did not want to bring in outside help I just had to.

So with some help from a friend we got in touch with a home health care company and I now have Monika who comes in every afternoon at 4:30 and stays till 8:30 with me. She helps keep the house clean, does laundry, we make dinner together and then she gets me ready for bed and my next day. Showering is a very big chore and I cant do it myself. But someday I will be able too. She helps me get my clothes for the morning and makes sure I have my medicines before she leaves. She has been a wonder to have and now my stress is much less.

There was a reason I was holding out on using the recovery fund and this is why. My insurance now does not cover the home attendant. It’s costing about $500 or so a week. I am so grateful for the recovery fund and all you have put into it at www.tekdivegirl.org it is now coming in as a lifesaver. Thank you.

My first week in outpatient rehab has been good. It started out a little rough but now it’s getting a bit easier. Today I started to use my right hand to draw circles and lines. I am accomplishing some new things and I know each day will be better. That’s my goal to keep getting better.

Tomorrow the cable guy is showing up to put in a cable and computer line so I can be connected to the world again on a more regular basis. My kids will be here this weekend as well and Sue will come by too. When Monday arrives it’s back to work at the rehab center.

That’s it for now.

Love Kimber

I know many of Kimber's friends here have been more than patient in waiting to speak to Kimber, :angel2: I have to say the peeps of ScubaBoard, and some of the other forums, have been nothing short of incredible, IMHO. Anyway, I was speaking with her today for a little while and she said to let everyone know she is ready to start chatting with peeps through pm's :jump: So when you have a sec, feel free to drop her a line, or two, or three, you get the idea :winky: Maybe catch her up on what has been going on with yourself since she has been under the microscope for so long, just a thought, go with whatever you'd like to say.

Just note, pm's are best for now this way she can reply at her pace.

I don’t know but I see this as another positive step for her...interacting with her friends here.

:wave-smil

This update is going to be quik and dirty because of how late it is. First off thank you all for all your great pms it may take me a bit to get bsck to you but I will. Secondly Installed a program om my palm based cell phone that will allow me to chat with yahoo nessenger, msn, aim and icq. I welcome anybody to send me a message you just may want to mention where you found me so im not left wondering. Right now that type of chatting is easier than pms.

yahoo --- skydncyr
msn ---- skydncyr@yahoo.com
aim ------ skydncyr
icq ------- 6979187

Soon I will give an update on my progress which has been great.

Love,

Kimber

Ok, this is a long overdo update. I am going to rehab Monday thru Friiday 9:00-3:30. We work on my cognative skils, physical theray, and occupational therapy. Physical therapy focuses on my lower body, walking, balance, leg strength, stretching etc. OT focuses more on my activies of daily living such as putting my shoes on, putting my jacket on as well as focusing on the upper body. We are working on my right hand which is weak. We are also working on my right shoulder, scapula and peck because they are alll really tight. It is a full time job right now.

I am wallking everywhere now and use the wheelchair minimally. I use it to take the public transportation to therapy but once I'm there I park it in the corner until it is time to go home.

The kids are great and have been home a few months now.

Thats about all. Thank you all for your continued support.

Love,

Kimber

Ok, as I have a program on my treo to handle my email and right now it is somewhat of a challenge to get here to SB to read pm's and easier to reply on my treo I am asking you all to email me. Righht now it is empty fill it up with emails!!! It will be a great emdurance task for my brain. You all can particapate in an area of my therapy. my speech therapist will love this! So come on you guys, you all have been asking what you can do to help. Here is what you can do. Think you are up for the challenge??? {I hope I am}

kimberly at divegirldesigns dot com

Let those fingers fly and wish me luck. Now fill up my inbox and thanks.

Love,

Kimber

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom