URGENT Update from ScubaMau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is exactly the place for such questions. Unless a formal inquest is held, there will be no purpose in Opal's death. The accidents and incidents forum for this has been closed because of hijackers who made it all about THEIR issues and not about this incident. Gabi's "report" on the incident was typed in second hand as he was/is in no condition to do this himself. And besides, SB is not the proper venue to obtain the answers we need.

There is only one body that is capable of doing a real investigation and that is DAN. They are the experts. They will need the outputs from each dive computer involved in the incident and the truthful, in person testimony of all who were present that day. That's what DAN does.

One thing is clear. This dive was ill conceived, poorly planned, and horribly executed. I have been wondering where is the outrage? Why is everyone on SB so eager to say "well this dive profile would have been manageable if only..." I refuse...asolutly refuse to call this an "accident." Accidents are unforseen circumstances like someone running a red light and hitting your car as you cross the intersection. This incident was entirely foreseeable and therefore entirely preventable.

There are solid reasons, based on physics, why the limits of "recreational" or "sport" diving are what they are. We need to understand how and why these dive "professionals" decided with such ease to ingnore them so completely. We need to understand exactly what happened once the dive began and that's why we need the computers. As far as I am concerned, the local authorities should have impounded them already.

I said at the beginning of my earlier post that I had met Opal and that she was a lovely woman with a warm smile and a great personality. Honestly, most of the dive pros I've met while diving have been wonderful, eager to please and very safe. Which is why we need to find out how someone with whom most of us would have trusted our lives diving could have made...could have possibly made dive decisions that ended her own.

Sorry if you feel this is not the right place to post this. But I need closure here too. To me, that requires a full investigation of the facts in this case so we can make sure this doesn't happen again.
What makes you think any "investigation" will answer any of your questions? How would a computer printout give you insight as to why someone would want to make a deep bounce dive?

You don't need closure. It's not about you. If you want closure, don't make deep bounce dives. There.

How do you possibly propose "so we can make sure this doesn't happen again"? Are you going to install nets at 200' to make sure no exceeds that depth, sort of like gating cave entrances in Florida?

Start with yourself. Why are you trusting your life diving with someone else. Make your own decisions. Start with deciding not to do deep bounce dives. See how easy that is?

Please post the NEW information for the CHECKING ACCOUNT set up for Gabi and his family. Be aware that the most recently posted info on the"Ayuda a Gabiloco y Familia" has added the routing number for Gabi's bank in Mexico (0726920) (his checking account number was posted earlier as 08031415730). BUT --- What is STILL missing, however, is the bank account number at the Bank of New York (which will be used to transfer money to the bank in Mexico). I know others have also run into this problem; lives are busy; we don't want to lose donations because people gave up trying to do so.

As I understand it, anyone wanting to donate for the bills incurred by Opal's family on her behalf can send a donation to her mother, April Smith, 6690 NW 138th Place, Chiefland, FL 32626.

Hello to everyone.
This is joseph matthews Opals brother. I want to say thank you again I really cant say it enough!
You all have shown tremendous support and unconditional love towards my sister Gabi myself her family and the Scuba Mau family! Muchos Gracias!!!
I am making a formal post on here to to inform everyone here in the diving community that my sisters shop is open and is going to remain open! It is going to continue to be the best dive shop on the island where we cater to the diver and not to the masses! Where we always take the extra step to ensure you the best and most safest dive experience possible! No matter your level of expertise in diving!
You have my word!
Thank you again words cannot trully express how grateful I am to you all!

Sincerely Joseph Patrick Matthews, SCUBA MAU.

Hi Jen,

I was great of you to get this going and other things you have done. Is the FB Rally page your doing too? I've been subscribed to it was wasn't sure if that was you or not.

I was wondering how this was setting at this time? Excerpting from post #1...
We have set up a Pay Pal accounts for Opal and Gabi and ALL donations raised will go directly to all their medical expenses including the hyperbaric chamber expenses, hospital bills, doctor bills, and transportation costs. Additionally, the cost to move Opal to a U.S. hospital is approximately $20,000 USD.
PLEASE…time is of the essence. Please donate any amount to help toward these staggering medical costs. Right now, it is URGENT that Opal be moved to a U.S. facility as soon as possible. She is becoming increasingly unstable and time is of the essence.

We have set up two Pay Pal accounts for the benefit of Opal and Gabi.
For OPAL please donate to: MedicalCare4Opal@gmail.com
For Gabi please donate to: MedicalCare4Gabi@gmail.com.
I know that there have also been direct bank deposit accounts set up, some funds simply mailed, an additional account for Gabi's family expenses, and maybe I missed something? I have not seen any reports on how much has been collected by various means tho, or how it was being spent, and of course - I am sorry if that has been published and I missed it. I know that getting the funds to pay for the air transport to Miami took initial priority and I guess that had to be paid in advance, so getting that much money together in short order alone was amazing.

Periodic reports would seem in order tho, and would help encourage more help I think. Could you update us on this please...?

1: Maybe a summary of what all accounts are set up and who is handling each?

2: Where those funds are going, perhaps to combined accounts, and who is handling that?

3: How funds have been spent so far, what is due, and what funds are available?

I want to keep this request as simple as possible, but I guess that much info is indeed needed for the contributors as well as to encourage additional contributions.

thanks...!

We here at the Scuba Mau family would like to take a moment of your time to say thank you. During this time all I have seen is unconditional love and support towards our sister and her family! The donations and the true showing of the human spirit,compassion has been able to bring a smile to everyones face here and at home!
I want everyone to know that our sister is smiling down from above to all that has helped and supported Gabi her family and her dream here on this island!:)
Opal always believed that a dive shop wasnt about a name...It just wasnt about business...It was about being a family and taking care of those who come to visit you just like family....Opals family here on the island is going to stay right here and continue on Opals dream of bringing the family feeling into everyones vacation experience... Besides anyone that knows Opal would know that she would probably haunt us if anything was to happen to her dream!:)
The dive family that Opal has here cannot express in words our grattitude that we have towards all that have supported Opals dream and continue to support it to this day. Let us always remember that Gabi still needs our support while he reocvers from his injuries we can never forget the man that put his life on the line to give our sister a fighting chance!
From the bottom of all our hearts...MUCHAS GRACIAS See you when you get down here!!!
Sincerely, The Scuba Mau Cozumel family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom