URGENT Update from ScubaMau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am so gonna miss that girl. I want to thank everyone on this board for the efforts to keep us informed. That tribute was soooooo perfect on U-tube. That smile--oh, that smile. I am going to concentrate on Gabi now, that little bundle of joy---oh, he tried to save her----and I know that he is devastated to find out she didn't make it. They had such a special bond that will never be replaced---it was so easy to spot. Gosh, so much to say--but, without the words. Opal, my friend, I know you are still smiling on us--Jen, thanks so much for all that you have done, and I know, will continue doing. You are an angel yourself-----hope to see you again.

My sincerest condolences to all of Opals family and friends, you will be in my thoughts and prayers as you celebrate a life that seemed to have touched so many and was cut too short.

Sad, but not terribly unexpected news about Opal.

Had I faced what would have been her fate had she survived I am pretty certain I would wish to leave this world soon.

She has paid her price in full. May she rest in peace and her grieving family and friends find comfort in her not having to suffer further.

Condolences. If only we can all be so lucky to leave this world doing what we love to do. RIP.

Last edited:
Why is everyone on SB so eager to say "well this dive profile would have been manageable if only..." I refuse...asolutly refuse to call this an "accident." Accidents are unforseen circumstances like someone running a red light and hitting your car as you cross the intersection.

If someone said anything about this dive being anything but a bad plan, I missed it. In my world your example of the accident isn't even an accident. It is a crash. Crashes by in large are created by someone's negligence. If the bridge you are driving on fell in the river then that is an accident. We just use accident to describe bad, unintended results regardless of how something happened, so the word "accident" doesn't really matter. That is just how people use it to greater or lesser degrees. Heck even my bridge example might not be an accident if there was a flaw in the bridge that wasn't found on a bridge inspection....

I have come away with the death of a nice girl and the injury to others is a reminder to dive within established limits and that in water re-compression isn't a great idea. Beyond that, what more can you hope to glean from it? Sure let DAN investigate and all, but when it comes down to it, I think think they have paid the very, very high price to teach a small group of extreme divers a lesson. Doesn't seem to have much to do with Joe Bagodonuts coming for his week of diving in Cozumel. To use your analogy of the crash, it is like looking a crash with a car going 120mph through some S turns. How much will the investigation of that crash add to the idea of: don't do 120 through an s-turn.

It seems all that is left is to feel bad for the victims and their loved ones. I know I do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom