Mike's DCS And Some Lessons Learned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike Boswell

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
FYI - Mike and his wife Linda will visit here to read your thoughts and answer any questions you may have. Your kindness will be appreciated.

Mike is 63, six foot one, slim and physically fit, a PADI dive master with four decades of diving experience. On March 3, 2013 he suffered Type II (spinal cord) DCS. Today, nine months later, he is learning how to walk again. We are telling Mike’s story in the hopes that it will help other divers.

On March 2, 2013 my wife Katy and I (Mike Boswell) and Mike (Mike's friend Mike) and his wife Linda departed San Diego at 6:00 a.m. We changed planes in Houston and landed in Cancun at 2:30 p.m., went through immigration and retrieved our bags. Then we boarded a van for the 5-hour trip south to Xcalak. At 5 p.m. we stopped at a restaurant for dinner and each had two beers. Back in the van, the driver handed us bottled water. At 10 p.m., after 15 hours of travel, we arrived at the dive resort, checked into our palapas, and went to bed.

At 8:00 a.m. the next morning we met at the restaurant for breakfast, and then met with our dive master, produced our cert cards, signed releases, and arranged for our first dive.

At 10:00 a.m. Mike, Katy, and I (Linda is not a scuba diver) met at the dock with our gear, piled into the panga and set off. Our DM began the briefing: The dive spot was ten minutes away, was one of his favorites, would start at 50 feet, would go as deep as 95 feet, and would end when we reached our NDLs or ran low on air: He estimated a 45-50 minute dive, saying the boat would pick us up after we completed our safety stop. I recall thinking that 95 feet was deep for a first dive, and that DMs like to take their groups on a shallower first dive to get them “checked out”, but I wasn’t worried about it.

Our dive was just as described: The temperature was 79 degrees, the vis was about 100 feet, with lots of beautiful coral and small fish. We started at 50 feet, swam out along a long coral finger, and then turned left and swam over a number of parallel coral fingers, averaging about 70 feet with a maximum of a bit over 90 feet in one or two spots. Mike, a conservative diver, wore both a Suunto and a Tusa computer. We completed the dive, ascended slowly, completed our safety stops, and were back in the boat with a total dive time of 41 minutes. No one had exceeded their NDLs or generated any computer alarms.

On the windy and choppy 10-minute ride back to the dock, Mike sat uncomfortably on the floor, his tall frame twisted to fit between a bench and the side of the boat. Stepping out onto the dock, he said he felt kind of “funny”, with the skin on the right side of his back and shoulder feeling numb.

At 11:00 Linda joined us at an outdoor table at the restaurant and we ordered lunch. Mike noted that the numbness seemed to be moving down his right leg. We talked about it at some length: Obviously DCS was possible. Mike said the numbness might be the result of sitting on the floor of the boat and bouncing against the side. Another explanation might be a stroke, but I noted that Mike’s facial expressions and speech seemed normal. Katy suggested that Mike ought to go on oxygen just to be safe. Mike said he would rest, keep an eye on his symptoms, and skip the second dive.

After lunch, at about noon, Mike and Linda walked to the dive center and told the dive master that he didn’t feel well enough to go on the next dive. They had Mike pull up his shirt and looked him over for signs of a rash or other symptoms, but found nothing. Mike and Linda went to their palapa to rest. At 1:00 p.m. Katy and I went on our second dive, similar to but shallower than the first one.

When we returned at 2:00 p.m. we met Mike and Linda coming out of their palapa and Mike was favoring his right leg. He said Linda had been massaging his leg but there was no improvement. Mike then returned to the dive center to request oxygen and notify the resort owners that his symptoms of numbness and lack of muscle control were worsening. A domestic-use type oxygen bottle with a nostril inhaler was provided. It was covered with dust and corrosion. The gauge showed less than 20% remaining. After about 20 minutes, it was empty.

Mike returned to his palapa to wait for the resort owners. While waiting, he lost bladder control. The owners arrived and assessed Mike’s situation. They noted that the nearest chamber in Belize was one-and-a-half hours to the south, but doubted if it would be staffed on a Sunday, and because Xcalak’s electric system was down there was no phone service and no way to call Belize or to contact DAN. They arranged for a driver and vehicle to take him four hours north to Playa del Carmen, where the nearest reliable recompression chamber was located. They provided Mike with a second domestic-type oxygen bottle, which lasted for about three more hours.

The ride north in a small pickup truck was later described by Linda as ”horrific”, with Mike rapidly losing all function below the waist. They had to stop for military checkpoints and twice more for gas. Mike described the ride as being “Hell on Earth.” He had never experienced so much pain for such a long period of time.

At about 7 p.m. they arrived at PdC. Unsure of the chamber’s location, the driver went to the public hospital instead. Mike tried to get out of the truck and into a wheelchair but fell to the ground as his legs had become totally paralyzed. He was taken into the hospital and placed on a fluid IV. The doctor on call summoned an ambulance to take him to the SSS Recompression Chamber Clinic. He was at the hospital for about one hour.

Upon arrival at the SSS Clinic, Mike’s blood pressure was 220 over 180. This was caused by a combination of the intense pain and a nitrogen bubble at cervical vertebrae 7. Nerves to the heart and lungs pass through that vertebrae, and the doctor was afraid that Mike was at risk of cardiac arrest from the spinal cord damage. Additionally, he had spinal cord damage at thoracic vertebrae 10. All functions from the rib cage down were paralyzed. The doctor warned Linda that Mike’s condition was extremely grave, and that he might not survive his recompression treatment: If his heart stopped in the chamber, it would be impossible to revive him.

At 9 p.m., ten hours after his dive, Mike was rolled into the chamber on a stretcher for his first treatment, which lasted 9 hours. Linda was not allowed to watch the video monitor of Mike’s chamber treatment. She sat and waited by the chamber door.

Mike had six more recompression treatments at the PdC clinic over the next four days: A second 9-hour treatment, two 7-hours, two 5-hours, and one 3-hours. The doctors then determined that the bubbles were gone, and that Mike needed additional treatments. He was moved to the SSS Clinic in Cozumel where he received another thirty 2-hour hyperbaric enhanced oxygen treatments over the next three weeks, with Linda living in his room, sleeping on a cot. He gradually gained partial recovery of the nerve damage and partial recovery from the paralysis. After four weeks, the nerve recovery reached a plateau, showing no further improvement, and the doctors in Cozumel released Mike to fly home. A paramedic accompanied him on his flight back to San Diego.

Mike’s recovery has been long and arduous for him and his family. Since returning home he has had 20 additional chamber treatments and continuous physical therapy. As we write this nine months later, he has recovered much of his nerve function and he can get around with a cane, but is still without feeling and function in many areas from the waist down. His doctors are optimistic that he will continue to improve. Mike has decided to give up diving and has sold his scuba gear because he can’t risk getting DCS again.

Conclusions:

1 Examine the dive op’s emergency facilities before you dive, and dive accordingly. Ask to see the dive op’s compressor, safety equipment, DAN-approved oxygen tanks and masks. Do they have electricity? Phone service? Cell phone service? An ambulance? A chamber nearby? Is the chamber open and staffed? How would you get there? Can you reach DAN if you need to?

2 Time is critical. If you feel “funny” or have symptoms after a dive, assume DCS until proven otherwise. This will get you thinking about communicating, transportation logistics and treatment options, and finding out what really works and what doesn’t. We don’t know why Mike got DCS, but we think that faster responses on our part could have reduced the severity of the effects Mike suffered.

3 Your dive computer is no guarantee against DCS. Mike had done this dive on previous trips with no problems, and he wore two computers. DCS can strike anyone, and the results can be immediate and devastating. The doctors at the chamber in Cozumel cited a DAN study that said about 30% of DCS cases are “unexplained.”

4 Good insurance is vital. Through an oversight, Mike’s DAN policy had elapsed, but fortunately he does have good medical insurance. For this incident, his insurance has been billed $212,000 and his “out-of-pocket” expenses are $20,000 to date. He will have continued “out-of-pocket” expenses for uncovered medical supplies, incontinence supplies, and physical training/therapy.

---------- Post added December 19th, 2013 at 08:08 AM ----------

Addendum: Mike sold his computers and does not have his profile, but I will try to get the profile of my wife's computer and post it - They would be nearly identical.

Last edited:
Good description, Mike. Thanks for posting. I was struck by the impulse, which seems universal, to seek out an alternate explanation for the onset of DCS symptoms. It's like we simply don't want it to be true, and we look for and cling to a different and less significant cause.

By the way, I went to a presentation on DCS by DAN a few years ago. I don't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall, they said that more than 80% of all DCS cases happen on the first day of a dive vacation, and over 80% of those happen on the first dive of that day. They had no explanation for it.

Mike, thanks for the detailed description. Wow.

WOW thanks for sharing Mike. I have only been diving for 3 yrs now and that is something that is always in my mind even if I do safe conservative profile.

Good description, Mike. Thanks for posting. I was struck by the impulse, which seems universal, to seek out an alternate explanation for the onset of DCS symptoms. It's like we simply don't want it to be true, and we look for and cling to a different and less significant cause.

I can't speak for others, but I ALWAYS want something really bad not to be true. And 99 percent of the time, it isn't. That habit serves us poorly in the case of DCS, however.

By the way, I went to a presentation on DCS by DAN a few years ago. I don't remember the exact numbers, but as I recall, they said that more than 80% of all DCS cases happen on the first day of a dive vacation, and over 80% of those happen on the first dive of that day. They had no explanation for it.

Alert Diver Magazine (Summer 2013, p.50) had an article about this by Neal Pollock called "Acclimatization", saying that a study of sixteen healthy male divers doing one 60-fsw dive per day for four days had shown that ultrasound-measured bubbling in participants' heart chambers was highest after the first dive and decreased markedly over the next four days of diving. From the article:

The main finding of this study is that four consecutive days of identical daily diving can produce a progressive reduction in measured postdive bubble grades consistent with positive acclimatization.

IMHO this is an important finding. It'll be interesting if, and how, this information gets incorporated into dive training. My takeaway is that the first few dives in a series ought to be overly conservative.

Thank you for sharing this. As a new diver, I'm always on the lookout for stories I can learn from and this is one of them. I am the "wait and see" kind of person in most things, and I know logically that after diving that's not a good idea, but sometimes logic doesn't win. I'm sorry this happened, but thank you for using this opportunity to drive home that message and possibly prevent it from happening to someone else.

Best wishes to Mike and his family, I'm glad he's recovering and that the doctors are optimistic for further progress.

Lessons to be learned...short and sweet:

1. Make damn sure your dive destination/operator/boat is prepared for emergencies
2. Don't ignore the symptoms
3. Keep your DAN+ insurance current

Positive thoughts and best wishes to Mike & family.

One message is to go diving every day. :D

But more seriously, many of us who dive at the NC Coast will go to the coast for one day of diving and if there is a long boat ride both are often at the same depth. So it makes it hard to do a warm up dive.

It does seem to suggest also that the practice of doing your deeper dive first if they are of different depths may not be optimal.

Would be interesting to know exactly what the no alarm dive meant. Depending on the algorithm and profile that can mean anything from well within accepted limits to considered safe but less conservative.

The OP did mention that one of the computers was a Suunto. If there was no deco or alarms, that likely means it was a fairly conservative profile. Suunto computers are not known for their liberal algorithms...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom