TekDiveGirl / Kimber Hawkens Thurman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

123945340_4151849771497891_1543739861967863646_n.jpg

(photo is from the San Diego bay dinner cruise that she arranged)

I was reading some of my posts to ScubaBoard about my twice weekly visits to her while she was in Scripps Rehab ..in them you can see I was absolutely devoted to her .. even before we became a couple.
She was my focus .. Not that She needed me to help her, I am certain She would have found a way to get things done without me, I just felt that any thing I could do to make her life easier, better, more fun, was not a task or burden but I felt it was kind of a duty and such a small thing to do for her.
She was my Purpose , my Partner, and my Joy ... You filled my life Sweetie and I'll remember our unique adventures for the rest of my life ... Thank you letting me be your wings to let express your adventurous self
... I miss you Honey
2764.png
:jump:

you can see I was absolutely devoted to her
I've always been impressed by that. Inspired, even. You stepped up when others would have stepped away.

Reactions: D_B
Truth .. it did also make me feel good and also I felt a bit special in being able to do so, and give you all reports on her progress ... even when I could not say anything I used to post dancing snoopy to indicate something good ... pleased to see that it became a smiley
:snoopydance:

Oh boy did I ever catch hell from Kimber once when I posted about going out for ice cream ... that's when I started using Snoopy ... later it was all ok, and I remember years later after Kimber had been going back through SB posts and her accident thread that she remarked to me ... I was really a ***** to you that time .. no Sweetie, it was ok, I understood (after the shock wore off lol)

55641800_10218759107267200_8394528685431980032_n.jpg

That photo was from the last thing you accomplished in a life filled with accomplishments ... March 30th 2019

You took the GRE for SDSU because your instructors at UCSSM were adamant that you take it, that you would pass it , probably on your first try (something not common ) I am not surprised to learn that you had passed it and would have been attending graduate school there :jump:
2764.png

:heart:

One of my sustaining principles over many years is that 'Death is always hardest on those left behind.'

Every year, we learn that we have been 'left behind' by (another) a member / user / colleague / friend / companion / fellow diver.

It is never 'easy', but it is also the essence of life. We really should not mourn whatever time we didn't spend with them, or the chances for interaction with them, of which we didn't take advantage.
Rather we shloulkd cherish the times that we DID!

Like many on SB, I did not know her personally. But, I KNEW her, through SB. I am a better person for that.

Every year, on this day June 3rd on the anniversary of her accident in 2006 Kimber would post about surviving it, and not only surviving, but thriving is the word she used.

Her daughter said some words today about that day her and her families lives changed forever ....

15 years flew by. Every year on this day my mom would post about her accident and how it changed her life and since she couldn't this year, I am. Here is an excerpt from the Eulogy I wrote for her about how even though our lives changed, they changed for the better:
"As you all know June 3rd, 2006 my mom had her scuba diving accident. This accident was one of the scariest times in life. As a result, she was left with physical disabilities. However, it never once inhibited her zest for life and her motivation and drive to complete her goals.
In 2012 she started to attend the Acquired Brain Injury program at Mesa College. A place where she met a lot of the wonderful people in attendance today. This was a place where she felt comfortable, welcomed, and as more than just a wheel chair. It was this program that introduced her to adaptive surfing, skiing, wake boarding, and so many more activities that she was unsure shed ever be able to do again. It was at Abi that she also took classes that would eventually help her move forward into college.
Fast forward 2 years later she started attending Mira Costa to obtain her Associates degree in psychology. For two years she worked hard and pushed her self and actually “walked” at graduation in 2016 to obtain her AA. It was the most amazing moment to hear my mothers name being called and watching her go across that stage. I was so proud of her. And funny enough 3 days later my mom actually got to watch me walk across a stage to receive my high school diploma. We always had to try and outshine each other, she always let me win but we all know who the true star was.
For the last three years, She attended CSUSM to earn her Bachelors Degree in psychology with a minor in anthropology. She worked insanely hard, got A’s in classes that were known for being failed the first try, and had even got the amazing opportunity to be a research assistant in one on the on campus lab studies. I would like to personally thank Daniel Berry for being her faculty mentor through it all and being an amazing friend and light to her at that school. As well as John Segoria, the head of the Disabled Student Association, for making it possible for her to have access to things like notes, textbooks, and other things that made her time at CSUSM a little easier. She worked harder than I’ve ever seem anyone working she was awarded that bachelors degree May 17th. And even though she wasn’t able to be the one to walk and accept it she was the one that earned it.
This amazing woman led a full life. When it came to getting what she wanted, she never left a stone unturned. She has been an inspiration to me and just the most wonderful mother I could have ever asked for.
There is a lot of things my mom was bad at; turning off lights for one, not turning the heater on when its 75 in the house, and not zooming down the halls with her power chair just to name a few, but a bad mom was definitely not one. My whole life she taught me some of the most valuable things I’ll always hold on to.
Here is not even one quarter of the things that she taught me: If you’re going to do something, do it with your whole heart. I can accomplish anything I set my mind too. Always look for the good in people. Give people 3rd, 4th, 5th, even 70th chances even when you don’t think they deserve it. Love people fiercely and faithfully. Its okay to cry when you fall but always get back up. Be generous with everything you have because things can always come back. It's not whats on the outside that defines you but what's on the inside. And most importantly, Never try to put out a grease fire with water, it’ll just get worse and you’ll burn the cutting board and have to hide it from don."
I have never once said this but I am thankful for the accident because even though it took away a lot of thing, it gave me more good than I could ever know. Without it I would have never known what true strength, determination, and stubbornness was. I would not know how to put out a grease fire. I would not have gotten to spend every single day with my mom. I would not have become who I am."

Kylia .. you ARE your moms daughter :heart:

Every year, on this day June 3rd on the anniversary of her accident in 2006 Kimber would post about surviving it, and not only surviving, but thriving is the word she used.

Her daughter said some words today about that day her and her families lives changed forever ....

15 years flew by. Every year on this day my mom would post about her accident and how it changed her life and since she couldn't this year, I am. Here is an excerpt from the Eulogy I wrote for her about how even though our lives changed, they changed for the better:
"As you all know June 3rd, 2006 my mom had her scuba diving accident. This accident was one of the scariest times in life. As a result, she was left with physical disabilities. However, it never once inhibited her zest for life and her motivation and drive to complete her goals.
In 2012 she started to attend the Acquired Brain Injury program at Mesa College. A place where she met a lot of the wonderful people in attendance today. This was a place where she felt comfortable, welcomed, and as more than just a wheel chair. It was this program that introduced her to adaptive surfing, skiing, wake boarding, and so many more activities that she was unsure shed ever be able to do again. It was at Abi that she also took classes that would eventually help her move forward into college.
Fast forward 2 years later she started attending Mira Costa to obtain her Associates degree in psychology. For two years she worked hard and pushed her self and actually “walked” at graduation in 2016 to obtain her AA. It was the most amazing moment to hear my mothers name being called and watching her go across that stage. I was so proud of her. And funny enough 3 days later my mom actually got to watch me walk across a stage to receive my high school diploma. We always had to try and outshine each other, she always let me win but we all know who the true star was.
For the last three years, She attended CSUSM to earn her Bachelors Degree in psychology with a minor in anthropology. She worked insanely hard, got A’s in classes that were known for being failed the first try, and had even got the amazing opportunity to be a research assistant in one on the on campus lab studies. I would like to personally thank Daniel Berry for being her faculty mentor through it all and being an amazing friend and light to her at that school. As well as John Segoria, the head of the Disabled Student Association, for making it possible for her to have access to things like notes, textbooks, and other things that made her time at CSUSM a little easier. She worked harder than I’ve ever seem anyone working she was awarded that bachelors degree May 17th. And even though she wasn’t able to be the one to walk and accept it she was the one that earned it.
This amazing woman led a full life. When it came to getting what she wanted, she never left a stone unturned. She has been an inspiration to me and just the most wonderful mother I could have ever asked for.
There is a lot of things my mom was bad at; turning off lights for one, not turning the heater on when its 75 in the house, and not zooming down the halls with her power chair just to name a few, but a bad mom was definitely not one. My whole life she taught me some of the most valuable things I’ll always hold on to.
Here is not even one quarter of the things that she taught me: If you’re going to do something, do it with your whole heart. I can accomplish anything I set my mind too. Always look for the good in people. Give people 3rd, 4th, 5th, even 70th chances even when you don’t think they deserve it. Love people fiercely and faithfully. Its okay to cry when you fall but always get back up. Be generous with everything you have because things can always come back. It's not whats on the outside that defines you but what's on the inside. And most importantly, Never try to put out a grease fire with water, it’ll just get worse and you’ll burn the cutting board and have to hide it from don."
I have never once said this but I am thankful for the accident because even though it took away a lot of thing, it gave me more good than I could ever know. Without it I would have never known what true strength, determination, and stubbornness was. I would not know how to put out a grease fire. I would not have gotten to spend every single day with my mom. I would not have become who I am."

Kylia .. you ARE your moms daughter :heart:

It took a lit of courage to speak those words.

OK. I'm crying and want to hug my mom. Such a beautiful thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom