TekDiveGirl / Kimber Hawkens Thurman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this came up in my memories from the last year
... I had shared this poem with Kimber and she liked it :heart:
Kimber had a real drive to help others, it may have been one of her most pressing drives towards her getting her Bachelor's degree I think

Life has changed.
In a split second of time.
Now a stranger lives within.
The stranger isn’t leaving.
The familiar can not return.
Life has changed.
Sure I miss the old familiar.
The dreams, the goals, the old me.
But emotion can not change things.
Life has changed.
There are now new goals.
There is now a new me.
I am learning to love the stranger
Life has changed.
She is different from the old me.
She feels the pain of others,
She understands the pain of life.
She is concerned about the heartache of others.
Life has changed.
The stranger has a mission.
To guide others through the maze.
The familiar wouldn’t have taken the time.
Life has changed.
The familiar would have liked the stranger.
Now I must learn to accept me.
I am now that stranger.
So I would have liked me.
Life has changed.

by: Debbie Wilson
2-20-96

As Mickey once said to her, “My ride’s here”.

We all enjoyed the journey, Kimber.

Reactions: D_B
I only got to meet her a few times, but I certainly miss her. We are less brave without her around.

I came across these on my phone, it really shows how much Kimber enjoyed going to adaptive surfing every year that was put on by Life Rolls On, it was one of her favorite things ... look at her smile :heart: :jump:

Kimber surfing smile.jpg

and this is what she was doing whenever she wasn't in the water , loved feeling the sand between her toes

Kimber surfing toes.jpg

I so miss you Sweetie, I miss going on our adventures, I miss making new Kimber Stories for me to tell .. I share them all the time, and will continue to share them with everyone so they know more about what an incredible woman you were, and how lucky I feel to have shared in your life :heart:

I love that beachchair! But yes, her smile says it all. Healing thoughts coming your way, mi amigo!

I came across these on my phone, it really shows how much Kimber enjoyed going to adaptive surfing every year that was put on by Life Rolls On, it was one of her favorite things ... look at her smile :heart: :jump:

View attachment 528645

and this is what she was doing whenever she wasn't in the water , loved feeling the sand between her toes

View attachment 528646

I so miss you Sweetie, I miss going on our adventures, I miss making new Kimber Stories for me to tell .. I share them all the time, and will continue to share them with everyone so they know more about what an incredible woman you were, and how lucky I feel to have shared in your life :heart:

I love all the wonderful memories that you share and look at the beautiful smile! (((HUGS)))

Kimber Think Pink wings.jpg

Kimbers Birthday ... as Neetskie said back when she was still recovering from her accident .. Our little pink winged angel :heart: :jump: :(

I work today, but tomorrow I'm meeting a friend and we are going to have chocolate martinis at Kimber's favorite place to get them, The Prado in Balboa park :heart:

kimber atocha coin.jpg

Kimber Atocha.jpg

This came up in my newsfeed today, a post by Kimber expressing her delight 4 years ago when I gave her this reproduction 4 Reales coin, it's made from some of the silver recovered from the Spanish treasure ship the Atocha
she NEVER took it off, as you can see it in all the pictures of her since ... I did good :)
... but the fact the she always wore it had to be pointed out to me by her daughter so .. back to just a guy status for me again :wink:

This was at Balboa Park October 29, 2017

Kimber: "Definition of painful - Asking random strangers if you can take their picture for a school project! "

She had some difficulty with her photography class , but in the end she overcame the challenge , and by doing so also opened the eyes of her instructor (who said as much) to be more inclusive of people that on first thought were not suited to taking their class
... Kimber helping others just by being Kimber :heart: :jump:

This was at Balboa Park October 29, 2017

Kimber: "Definition of painful - Asking random strangers if you can take their picture for a school project! "

She had some difficulty with her photography class , but in the end she overcame the challenge , and by doing so also opened the eyes of her instructor (who said as much) to be more inclusive of people that on first thought were not suited to taking their class
... Kimber helping others just by being Kimber :heart: :jump:

I can relate, I think.
I took my only F in college, in Cinematography, which I really loved, because I refused to direct a movie.
I excelled at editing my friend's videotape, but wanted nothing to do with trying to deal with strangers.
Sometimes the idea reaching out to strangers is just too damned nerve wracking.

Reactions: D_B

Back
Top Bottom