http://www.diveheart.org/

Updates on Kimber/TekDiveGirl

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recieved this from TJ today and thought some of you might like to read:

I have heard so much about you I can't wait to meet you. I did see her post and it nearly made me cry! I was up there on Thursday night ( i go up at about 9:30 after I get out of work at night) We signed on the computer at the hospital and I read her posts to her... and my spaces and i typed another update as she dictated...the connection got lost tho so we lost it...we did a second shorter one and it looks like that one got lost too...

I haven't had to stay all night at rehab as she rests pretty well and I leave around 1or 2am once i feel like she's down for the count and resting. I didn't go up today but we chatted on the phone tho and she is doing great...I like to leave the update for her as she enjoys it...so look for something Sunday or Monday night if you aren't in touch with her before then.

I can tell you, the first thing she wants to do is check scuba post so tell folks to keep her updated as her face lights up to hear from everyone.

tj

Hey guys. I just hung up the phone with Kimber :bounce: OMG, she sounds so good. Can I say, almost cheery? They have a kinda sorta release date (we know how that goes). It is mid-July they are shooting for.

She has resigned herself to being content in the rehab center for now. As she said, she misses the creature comforts of home but she knows the longer she stays at the rehab center the better for her recovery.

She is currently crashing into walls and other patients as she tries to get around, hehehehhe :) They have had a couple of therapy dogs come up. One of the dogs is named doc Breezy. Kimber is also standing three times longer than just the other day :D

I am not the greatest of writers but I want you guys to know when I said she sounded good I meant it. As she said, she is happy, very happy she is alive. She said she remembers thinking she couldn't leave the children motherless. The strength of a parent can be astounding, eh?

Our friend D_B Visited last night

D_B:

Kimber Kicks Rehab Butt!​

TekDiveGirl continues her rehab dominating, butt kicking progress!

She is now ranked number one in the hallway wheelchair races, able, (and more than willing), to nerf the competition into the guardrails, or throw them under the wheels, to maintain her lead.

Kimber is also continuing to have beautiful form on the parallel bars, and is expected take the home the gold medal.

We can only see good things in the future for the darling of the hospital ward

OK, a little tongue in cheek but you get the idea
She is doing fantastically well ... was up and taking steps between the parallel bars with assistance, propelling herself around the halls in a wheelchair with only an occasional pedestrian "incident" :wink: and spent some time in the garden, enjoying the sun on her face.

I wish you could talk to her, she smiles and laughs easilly .. you would never know that there is anything wrong with her, such is her good attitude and undomitable spirit.

You continue to kick rehab butt girl! :jump:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_B

I have had a visit with that wonder woman, Kimber

She continues to get stronger, better each day, sometimes a lot, sometimes just barely noticeable, all progress just the same. She can now feed herself with some assistance .. it was great fun helping her chase that last grape around the empty bowl with her fork, oh such laughter.

She also knows that progress does not come all at once, and is working as hard as she can to get better. I think my favorite saying right now is a quote from Almity ... "Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will." ... and I have had the good grace to be in the presence of such a will.

You Continue Kicking Rehab Butt! Kimber

DB

Originally Posted by D_B:

Kimber update ...
I went for a visit last night. She looks good and is getting stronger. She can now sit herself up in bed, answer the phone, stand pretty well, can walk backward between the parallel bars, and can even step up and down a stair! I think most of us already know these are major accomplishments. She continues to work very hard and strives to regain her life back everyday. Oh btw, did I already say she is looking good? :D

riguerin:
Brandon and I stopped for brief visit with Kimber yesterday after a long day of diving Los Coronados on the Lois Ann. She didn't know that we were coming, so I think we caught her off guard. She was just finishing up dinner as we walked in. Her close friend, Susan, was there by her side. I was pleasantly surprised to see her picking at her French fries and feeding herself as we walked in.

Once she released who these two ocean encrusted grungy looking dudes were, her face lit up with a huge smile. She was very upbeat and pleasant throughout the visit. We chit-chatted for a few minutes. The conversation ranged from one topic to another. We talked about her progress ... which is nothing short of incredible. She mentioned that she had taken her first unassisted steps the other day. She gave us a brief demo in which she lifted and stretched both arms well above her head ... and also said that she can now answer the phone on her own. She also mentioned that her physical therapist feels that she might be ready to tackle the ladder apparatus soon. The impression that I got was that she was very committed to the physical therapy and that her personal goal is set on a full recovery.

Of course we talked a little about diving. We told her about our day of diving the Coronados ... getting face-to-face with sea lions ... Brandon's great progress in his new dry suit ... his reaching a major dive milestone today, 50 logged dives. She listened intently, and gave him a big congratulations. She expressed a little sorrow to have learned that her own dry suit layed in shreds in the back of her truck (she was cut out of it). But she then exclaimed, "but I think that DAN might cover the cost of a new one !" She definitely holds hope at the possibility of diving again some day.

Before leaving, I relayed a message from MissyP about the status of her horsie and next shipment of Twinkies. She smiled, then said, "Oh, I'm good on Twinkies !" She motioned to a Costco sized Twinkies box on a bedside table. We left her with a pretty little baby abalone shell that we picked up off the bottom off the Coronados. Brandon and I each got a big old hug from her before leaving.

I spoke with her myself yesterday. We spoke for 13 minutes before her arm got tired and we had to say our goodbye's. Very impressive stuff.

Thank you for the update Riguerin and Brandon.

We really weren't sure if here was the best place to post the following. Perhaps a kudos thread would have been more fitting. However, we wanted to be sure each of you who has cared so much, sees it. To date this diving community has raised… are you ready? Maybe I shold wait until tomorrow? :wink: Just teasing :D Okay drum roll...

:drummer:

Ten Thousand Dollars

:monkeydan :wave-smil :monkeydan :wave-smil :monkeydan

This will cover the previous months household bills and an additional four months! Everything, absolutely everything, added up in a big way. We know Kimber was stunned, amazed, appreciative, shocked, and just really touched at what has been done for her. You guys are an amazing group. You have really come through in a big, big, way. Thank you so very much. You guys are awesome!!!!!

We plan on keeping all of you updated as much as we possibly can. I know many have asked what the insurance and DAN is going to cover. I am still a bit sketchy on that so I don’t want to say too much on that just yet. We do know the insurance will run out on the much needed rehabilitation therapy. As we know she is working on developing new neuron pathways. Esentially remapping her nervous system. We believe her insurance only covers twelve weeks. Not nearly enough. When we know more we will let you guys know.

I just wanted to add a special thank you to Howard, Puffer Fish, and D_B, you guys are the best!

Hi again, this is Kimber and I have Sue getting this update out for you. Thank you all for the great support you have been giving me. The THINK PINK stuff that GetBentScuba.com put together just brought a huge smile to my face. Sue and TJ have been reading me some of the posts and I can’t thank you enough. D_B comes by about every other day and keeps me amused, well more I keep him amused trying to do things. Anyway, an update for you.

I’ve been in rehab for about three weeks now. I am in a great facility that has all of the latest equipment and procedures. My days are filled from early morning with personal care, physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, and today I started on recreational therapy. Essentially I came in here a only able to talk, and now I can do some things. Each day I do a little bit more. Most days I even have changes and progress in the same day.

My children are staying with my Aunt and they come by almost every day. My daugther gives me great big hugs and my son tries to boss around the staff when they are not being attentive enough to me. I am so proud of how well they have handled all of this. They are real troopers. I can only imagine what was going through their tender minds during the critical days. My mom has been just great. She is taking care of my house and sees me most every day as well. The power of family just seems to be never ending.

As for me, I can walk with a little support, and can stand on my own for short periods of time. I can move my left hand and arm and I'm getting back my fine motor skills. My right arm is still not working well. The swelling in my brain has affected my vision. Things are blurry, I can’t see clearly and there are blind spots. They say that may improve with time. My biggest frustration is the delay. I tell my mind I want to do something and it takes concentration for me to do it. Also when I want to speak I have to take a moment to think about what I want to say and then it comes out. Imagine that, me, having to slow down! When things get hectic, it's really hard to concentrate. I have some pain and I take a load of medicines for all kinds of things and they seem to be helping a bit. This has just not been all that much fun. But I do get to laugh at jokes and the things that people read to me.

A friend of mine asked me the other day “What can’t you do?” I thought about it for a moment and said. “I can do everything, it’s just going to take me a while till I can.” I am working hard, my therapists are working hard, and my dear friends and family are working hard, to help me get better.

I found my I-pod the other day so now I can listen to some music. Sue and TJ have just been the best girlfriends one can ever have. They give to me without hesitation and are there for me every step of the way. Sue went shopping for me the other day as I was getting just a bit tired of hospital clothing. A girl needs her stuff right?

So that’s it for now. Everyday a little more. Thanks again to all of you who have contributed to the recovery fund, www.tekdivegirl.org every bit helps.

Thank you all again and again for your concern and
good wishes.

Love to you all.

Kimber

We asked D_B if on his next visit he would take a pic of her for us, and he came through. We wanted everyone to see our girl, who was almost no longer with us a few short weeks ago, now smiling and recovering. I know personally, every time I have looked at this picture today I am inspired by her. The people here who came together for Kimber and have done so much to help her also inspire me.

D_B:
I'm back from my visit with Kimber. I am happy to report that ...

My mission to amuse her was short, sweet, and extremely successful! She was to have therapy soon so I didn't stay long.

She was sitting in her wheel chair with her laptop on her lap when I walked in. It may be a while longer until she can post and read them, but not much longer, I would bet.

OK, so I suck at concentrating on the picture taking part, but if I were better at this you would see that she was absolutely having a great day looking radiant. Big smiles and much laughter and was wearing a very cute pink (what else) outfit.

KimberPic15.jpg

PM's IM's and the Like
I thought this was may explain some things for people.

Kimber is making great strides in PT but with all of that work comes a lot of pain. Especially, by the end of the day.

Kimbers vision is improving, she has browsed these forums reading threads but we have to give her time to heal. She is overwhelmed with PM's, Yahoo, MSN messages. She would like to respond to each message, but as I am sure one can gather, it is a bit overwhelming at the moment.

Coming back to SB is also going to take some time/work. She is doing extensive speech therapy, as we all know. She is coming along well but still gets confused and overwhelmed easily. So if we could show yet a little more patience we would be helping her immensly.

Thanks everyone I know you will come through. Just keep chewing on that bottom lip :winky: And know you are not the only one :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom