Diving Accident in Kaatiala, Finland on 26/6/2015

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never heard of that but that's not to say it couldn't occur. A spinal hit could cause loss of vasomotor control that could lead to an inability to warm up in some circumstances. The symptoms you're describing could also be attributed to plain old hypothermia.

Best regards,
DDM

I have seen some mentions of possible immune system reaction to the aggressions caused by bubbles (is there evidence?), so I think I was trying to understand if these divers feeling cold after the dive could be due to fever caused by a response of the immune system.

I've never heard of that but that's not to say it couldn't occur. A spinal hit could cause loss of vasomotor control that could lead to an inability to warm up in some circumstances. The symptoms you're describing could also be attributed to plain old hypothermia.

Best regards,
DDM

I have seen some mentions of possible immune system reaction to the aggressions caused by bubbles (is there evidence?), so I think I was trying to understand if these divers feeling cold after the dive could be due to fever caused by a response of the immune system.

I guess this is another case of "horses, not zebras" :wink:

I guess this is another case of "horses, not zebras" :wink:

It may very well be. I just got curious because people who dive in cold water kind of know how they are supposed to feel and in this report, the diver put in evidence that he couldn't warm up. The other one I saw had done a normal dive, had no suit leaks and was also feeling cold after, while having other symptoms as well.

I have also heard other people saying they felt a bit fluish and such after some dives. So wondering if DCS symptoms could be a bit broader than usually thought and because these are common to other more usual illnesses, they are dismissed. Zebras also exist :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom