Unknown Two dead off Rockport MA

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot now read the latest newspaper article about this without paying. If what the family is saying is correct, from memory, the police did not even look at the dive computers. Surely you would do this. I can assure you that in Australia, the police would attempt an investigation and at least do some work on it, even though they might not involve experts.

I cannot now read the latest newspaper article about this without paying.
Sorry. This is why I usually quote articles in full, but it wasn't behind a paywall before. It is now, but 12 foot ladder works,,,
ROCKPORT — While offering praise for the Rockport Police Department and its investigation into their father’s drowning off Front Beach in October, the family of one of the two divers who died is critical of the Massachusetts State Police, Essex District Attorney’s Office and the Massachusetts Medical Examiner’s Office.

Brothers-in-law Alan De Oliveira Leao, 75, of Pepperell, and Richard Brady, 78, of Hampton, New Hampshire, were experienced divers testing equipment for a diving trip to Venezuela, several family members told various news outlets.

Leao, who was identified later, was found in medical distress on Front Beach on Oct. 4 shortly after 11 a.m. Emergency aid was provided by bystanders, police and EMTs before he was taken by ambulance to Addison Gilbert Hospital where he was pronounced deceased.

At 3 p.m. that day, through investigation, authorities determined Brady, the second diver, was missing. He was subsequently recovered from the ocean off Front Beach and pronounced deceased.

“This is a tragedy for the two families who have lost their loved ones,” police Chief John Horvath said at the time.

Two weeks later, Horvath said the follow-up investigation into the men’s deaths was being conducted by the Massachusetts State Police Detective Unit assigned to the Office of Essex District Attorney Paul Tucker.

For the Leao family, the frustration has grown during the investigation.

Alan Leao Jr. said Wednesday the deaths of his father, Alan, and his uncle Richard were accidental. The family is seeking answers from investigators on what lead to the deaths of the two experienced divers.

“We have a strong family and we are going through the grieving process,” Leao said. “We are supported by the outpouring of love for Richard and Alan. We are sad they are gone and frustrated by some of the state agencies that we don’t feel have risen to the occasion.”

Leao, who said he was speaking for his family, singled out Essex County District Attorney Paul Tucker’s Office in particular.

“(They) have not done anything measurable since they were assigned this case,” Leao said. “Some critical elements have either not been followed up or simply ignored.”

He cited data that he said still has not been downloaded from his father’s and his uncle’s dive computers that would provide information on the Rockport dive.

“There have been promises to obtain more extensive/detailed testing and that has not come to fruition,” Leao said.

On Friday, Sharyn Lubas, the DA’s chief of staff, said, “I am in the process of following up on this with our victim witness staff and investigator as they have been in contact with the families.”

She would not elaborate.

Leao said the State Police reacted quickly and brought in testing equipment from Hampshire County the evening the bodies were found.

“After that, there have been scant developments that could help point to an explanation as to why two experienced divers died in 9 feet of water,” Leao said. “All family members come from the private sector which moves at a quicker pace and usually has a better customer service element than what we have experienced with the (Massachusetts State Police).

“E-mails and calls have gone unanswered and not one family member has been demanding in any way, shape or form.”

Reaction from Massachusetts State Police was scant.

“After looking into this, it appears Rockport Police and the Essex County District Attorney’s Office were/are handling the investigation,” Trooper Brandon Doherty said.

Leao also criticized the findings made by the Massachusetts Medical Examiner’s Office.

“The Medical Examiner’s Office came to what I believe is a lazy conclusion that both men ‘drowned’,” Leao said. “The (Medical Examiner’s) Office did not point to any ancillary or antecedent cause listed on the death certificate.”

Timothy McGuirk, a spokesperson for the Massachusetts Medical Examiner’s Office, said Thursday death investigations often take months before findings are determined.

“As discussed, the cause of death in these cases was drowning and the manner was accidental,” he said. “We express our condolences to the families of Mr. Leao and Mr. Brady during this difficult time.”

The tragedy and reaction​

After the accident, Leao said Pepperell Police officers came to his house to deliver the bad news.

“They first asked to come inside and (I) was asked to sit down,” he said. “I figured someone stole my car and did harm, but had no idea what I was about to be told.”

Leao said Rockport Police had informed Pepperell Police that his father was found at Rockport’s Front Beach unresponsive in his diving gear, adding he was taken to Addison Gilbert Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

“Of course I asked them if they were sure and they said yes,” Leao said. “I then responded that my father would not be alone diving and my Uncle Richard (Brady) would have been with him as well. They stood firm in saying that my father was the only person that was identified and that there was no mention of my uncle.”

After that, Leao called Rockport Police and told them that his uncle was also in the water and that they needed to find him.

“I gave them information on Uncle Richard and then left to identify my father’s body in Gloucester,” Leao said. “By that point, efforts were underway to find Uncle Richard.”

But Leao had praise for Rockport Police Lt. Michael Marino who he said was exemplary with the way he soothed the family.

“Lt. Marino was apologetic at the beach and stated he had no idea. We understood that this wasn’t his fault at all and he would have not known Uncle Richard was in the water if he didn’t surface like my father.”

“He was nothing short of spectacular and is a model police officer,” Leao said. “He has genuine compassion and a great soul, but is also a professional.”

“(They) have not done anything measurable since they were assigned this case,” Leao said. “Some critical elements have either not been followed up or simply ignored.”

He cited data that he said still has not been downloaded from his father’s and his uncle’s dive computers that would provide information on the Rockport dive.

“There have been promises to obtain more extensive/detailed testing and that has not come to fruition,” Leao said.

Quotes from the article. You would think that even the most basic of investigations into two deaths would be expected.

Not sure what you mean by “police in a coastal town that was frequented by divers never thought to launch a boat to see if he was alone is pretty disturbing.” From the article posted by @Bubblesong in post #1 “After locating this man, officials say it was discovered that he was one of two men who had been diving in the area earlier in the morning. A search immediately began for the second diver.” The “officials” search “immediately” for the second diver.
"At 3 p.m. that day, through investigation, authorities determined Brady, the second diver, was missing. He was subsequently recovered from the ocean off Front Beach and pronounced deceased."

First Diver was found at 11 AM. According to the article, They did not start looking for the second diver until 3 PM, which means the second diver was in the water more than 4 hours with no one looking for him. Rockport is a very popular area for diving. It is north of Boston and well protected so it has plenty of good visibility much of the time. Divers are seldom going solo there and I would assume (possibly incorrectly) that if you have one diver in the water, it very likely that there is another one near by.

Finding a diver unconscious on the beach should have reflexively caused them to ask "where is the other diver?" From my reading, they did not. During the Summer I have experienced water temps in the upper fifties at depths less than 30 feet. In October the water may have been in the 40s. If they were dressed for a 30 minute gear check, the second diver, may have died because it was four hours after the first diver was found that police started looking for him.

According to the article, the second diver was found and cause of death was drowning, not heart attack. He may have been exhausted and unable to reach shore and drowned after the first diver was found. Front Beach doesn't have much in the way of tricky currents and the body was probably was with a couple of hundred yards of the first body FOUR HOURS LATER. He should not have been floating around that long before he was located.

"At 3 p.m. that day, through investigation, authorities determined Brady, the second diver, was missing. He was subsequently recovered from the ocean off Front Beach and pronounced deceased."

First Diver was found at 11 AM. According to the article, They did not start looking for the second diver until 3 PM, which means the second diver was in the water more than 4 hours with no one looking for him. Rockport is a very popular area for diving. It is north of Boston and well protected so it has plenty of good visibility much of the time. Divers are seldom going solo there and I would assume (possibly incorrectly) that if you have one diver in the water, it very likely that there is another one near by.

Finding a diver unconscious on the beach should have reflexively caused them to ask "where is the other diver?" From my reading, they did not. During the Summer I have experienced water temps in the upper fifties at depths less than 30 feet. In October the water may have been in the 40s. If they were dressed for a 30 minute gear check, the second diver, may have died because it was four hours after the first diver was found that police started looking for him.

According to the article, the second diver was found and cause of death was drowning, not heart attack. He may have been exhausted and unable to reach shore and drowned after the first diver was found. Front Beach doesn't have much in the way of tricky currents and the body was probably was with a couple of hundred yards of the first body FOUR HOURS LATER. He should not have been floating around that long before he was located.

I agree with your analysis in this post and the previous ones. I dove for over 25 years in the Cape Ann area especially Rockport and Gloucester. In fact, I used to live Gloucester during the summer for a number of years when I was in college. The area where these divers were diving is probably one of the easiest and least challenging of dives sites in Rockport and Gloucester.

Something is seriously wrong with the whole story and the official narrative of what had happened. "Drowning" is just a BS lazy reason to write as a cause of death for a diver in this story. There must have been other REAL factors to why the divers died. Why on earth would the diver "drown"? If he had an issue on surface or bottom there, he could have just surfaced, inflated their BC and swam back to exit on surface. Taking into consideration the fact that they are seasoned divers and not beginners also says that things don't add up here. Their age isn't a big deal here, their apparent cause of death has nothing to do with age. New England divers who dive in and around New England are a tough bunch. Two of them die on the same dive is very suspicious to me. Suspicious enough that I'd involved outside experts to find out the real story in this most unfortunate incident.

Reactions: Dan
I agree with your analysis in this post and the previous ones. I dove for over 25 years in the Cape Ann area especially Rockport and Gloucester. In fact, I used to live Gloucester during the summer for a number of years when I was in college. The area where these divers were diving is probably one of the easiest and least challenging of dives sites in the Rockport and Gloucester.

Something is seriously wrong with the whole story and the official narrative of what had happened. "Drowning" is just a BS lazy reason to write as a cause of death for a diver in this story. There must have been other REAL factors to why the divers died. Why on earth would the diver "drown"? If he had an issue on surface or bottom there, he could have just surfaced, inflated their BC and swam back to exit on surface. Taking into consideration the fact that they are seasons divers and not beginners also says that things don't add up here. Their age isn't a big deal here, their apparent cause of death has nothing to do with age. New England divers who dive in and around New England are a tough bunch. Two of them die on the same dive is very suspicious to me. Suspicious enough that I'd involved outside experts to find out the real story here.
I think (my personal guess), one diver had a cardiac event and his buddy was trying to get him to shore. The second diver was tired and exhausted, possibly hypothermic (a flooded drysuit may have contributed to the situation). One made it to shore the other did not. The second diver was probably on the surface, because he was found so quickly once they started to look for him. A back inflate BCD will not keep an unconscious diver face up on the surface.

My only issue on what happened with this dive was the four hour delay in looking for the second diver. Everything else was just an unfortunate accident.

Reactions: Dan
@CT-Rich it’s now clear what you meant after reading the paywall news posted by @DandyDon in post #12. Thanks for elaborating your statement about Rockport police lack of urgency to find 2nd diver. This accident would be a good lesson for the local police to search 2nd diver immediately, as stated in the earlier news, which should mean within minutes, not 4 hours later.

A back inflate BCD will not keep an unconscious diver face up on the surface.

That’s BIG reason I have stayed away from back inflate BCD and stick with jacket type BCD.

If I remember correctly, they were testing equipment. Incorrectly serviced gear or a some third party defect that lead to the deaths would be a valid issue and worth investigating. But it would be a civil matter, not a criminal one. "Unsupervised dives" are what most people in that area do. As I recall, both of these men were experienced in divers and were believed to be competent to make this dive. One or both of them had an issue and it got out of hand.

As a family member, I would be concerned that they found one diver on the beach and never thought to send a boat out to look for the second diver right away. He may have been just off shore alive, but hypothermic. That he could have been at the surface and sequentially drowned because the police in a coastal town that was frequented by divers never thought to launch a boat to see if he was alone is pretty disturbing.
Whether it is all civil, as opposed to criminal, depends. If a dive shop sold the divers a bad fill, and did so recklessly, that would be involuntary manslaughter under Massachusetts law. One example of recklessness might be a knowing failure to adequately maintain the compressor. I was a DA for along time (not in Massachusetts) and if this happened in my jurisdiction I would be pressing for a full and complete investigation, including analysis of the air. Most places now have decimated dive search/rescue teams, run either by a law enforcement agency or fire department. Not that I know much about the operation of these teams, but it would hard to imagine that they could not at the very least get access to a CO monitor, if they don't have one on hand already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom