Unknown Tourist dead, Dive Master ill - Ambergris Caye, Belize

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It seems that most people/operations are not monitoring CO levels.
And with the various ways that CO is produced, with no taste or smell, and how much the harmful effect is increased at depth, then the backlash of ascending - it can be very dangerous yet ignored.
As a goodwill gesture, I donated the CO detector to the DM
That was very generous of you. Which model?
* I dove the 3.6ppm tank with no noticeable side effects. In my mind, I had set a limit of 5ppm.
Different countries have different limits of those that have such rules. I think that 10ppm is relatively safe for recreational diving if one has faith in one's ability to test accurately.

Also did the same in Indo once (so far), brought a little handheld CO meter, it was cheap, but it did read sensible values and alarm near cigarettes and engine rooms with exhaust leaks.

Never got an alarming reading from spot-checking tanks, but the compressor inlet was close enough to the diesel genset exhaust that it's very conceivable contamination could occur under some situations. Left the meter on the boat

Definitely can be helpful to bring useful things to leave behind at your destinations. A tip that doesn't go to the cigarettes budget (j/k 😆) Be the change

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom