Unknown Two dead off Rockport MA

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That’s BIG reason I have stayed away from back inflate BCD and stick with jacket type BCD.

Neither does my Bcd(sold) or my life preserver.

It gives you a chance to survive when you wake up on the surface all messed up. But if you remain unconscious, your odds of surviving are very slim.

That’s BIG reason I have stayed away from back inflate BCD and stick with jacket type BCD.

The best bc that keeps your head up out of the water is the Scubapro Classic jacket. Nothing else comes close.

(Waiting for the BP/W choir to chime in)

I think that's what I did "discover" in.

Yuk.

The best bc that keeps you head up out of the water is the Scubapro Classic jacket. Nothing else comes close.

(Waiting for the BP/W choir to chime in)

Lowering the tank position helps me too in keeping me vertically at the surface with fully inflated Cressi TravelLight BCD. The lower tank position pulls my chess out to the surface.

With that setup, my fully inflated jacket BCD acts like a life jacket. I can sleep motionless on the surface without my face on the water.

To set the lower tank position, I strap the upper cam band at the tank tangent line (where the tank dome meets with the tank cylinder). To keep the tank from sliding down (in the case of the cam bands fail to grip on the tank), I loop the BCD lifting band (as shown in the picture, below) over the tank valve before installing my regulator onto the valve. That BCD lifting band is also stitched up at the right loop size to prevent the tank from sliding down further in case of BCD cam bands became loose.

IMG_3115.jpeg

BCD Lifting band

A jacket BCD will float you face down just as much as a back inflate. You don't have to teach too many rescue diver classes to see that all BCDs float an unresponsive diver face down.

A jacket BCD will float you face down just as much as a back inflate. You don't have to teach too many rescue diver classes to see that all BCDs float an unresponsive diver face down.

Try lowering your tank strapping position, like I posted in post #55 above. It works for me.

Not true at all with the Scubapro Classic.

Try lowering your tank strapping position, like I posted in post #55 above. It works for me.
You are not an unresponsive diver.

I imagine it might be possible to arrange gear so that it will float an unconscious person upright but totally suck for diving, if that's what you want.

The only BCDs I would be certain that would keep you face up on the surface is the horse collar and some of the really early jacket BCDs (they would lift you by the armpits, unless you used a crotch strap, then they would lift you by the balls). An empty AL tank is probably going to around four pounds positive and strapped to your back, that is the equivalent of a half gallon of air behind your head.

It comes down to; do you want something that dives well or something that will keep your head above water if you are unconscious. A BCD is not a life jacket.

You are not an unresponsive diver.

I imagine it might be possible to arrange gear so that it will float an unconscious person upright but totally suck for diving, if that's what you want.

I met Lisa & Gerald (owner of Jupiter Dive Center) in May 2021 in Socorro. I happened to look to my left while diving and she took my picture. Do I look like having problem being in horizontal position while diving in the picture, below?

P5170081.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom