Unknown Two dead off Rockport MA

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't make any sense so far. Front Beach is a VERY easy dive site to dive. Two buddies die together on an easy shallow dive like this one? Medical conditions considering their age but both on the same dive? New gear? I hope that we can get more information on this one, this is very puzzling.

Very sad

Juts to be clear. I have no specific information on this. But a couple of general thoughts to keep in mind as this unfolds . . .
It doesn't make any sense so far. Front Beach is a VERY easy dive site to dive. Two buddies die together on an easy shallow dive like this one?
1. There is no such thing as an "easy" dive. ANY dive can kill you, especially if it involved an out-of-air situation. When you start the dive thinking it's "easy," you may be setting yourself up for trouble because you're not anticipating problems and aren't ready to respond if/when they occur.

2. Pure conjecture here: You could have situation where buddy #1 has a medical problem and ascends on his own with buddy #2 unaware of where #1 went because he didn't have #1 in his field of vision at the time. #1 surfaces in distress and doesn't make it. Fatality #1.

3. #2 realizes #1 is gone and tries to find him. He can't. But he's also been trained in his basic class to feel that diving alone is very dangerous and starts to feel uncomfortable being by himself to the point that he eventually panics, can't get to the surface, and dies. (I've read numerous accident reports where this seems to be the case.) Fatality #2.

4. Bear in mind the story says, probably accurately, that diver #2 was found 4 hours after #1. So fatality #1 may not have directly caused fatality #2, although they're related.

Again, speculation on my part just just to give some perspective on how two divers could die at a spot where you expect no one to die.

Juts to be clear. I have no specific information on this. But a couple of general thoughts to keep in mind as this unfolds . . .

1. There is no such thing as an "easy" dive. ANY dive can kill you, especially if it involved an out-of-air situation. When you start the dive thinking it's "easy," you may be setting yourself up for trouble because you're not anticipating problems and aren't ready to respond if/when they occur.

2. Pure conjecture here: You could have situation where buddy #1 has a medical problem and ascends on his own with buddy #2 unaware of where #1 went because he didn't have #1 in his field of vision at the time. #1 surfaces in distress and doesn't make it. Fatality #1.

3. #2 realizes #1 is gone and tries to find him. He can't. But he's also been trained in his basic class to feel that diving alone is very dangerous and starts to feel uncomfortable being by himself to the point that he eventually panics, can't get to the surface, and dies. (I've read numerous accident reports where this seems to be the case.) Fatality #2.

4. Bear in mind the story says, probably accurately, that diver #2 was found 4 hours after #1. So fatality #1 may not have directly caused fatality #2, although they're related.

Again, speculation on my part just just to give some perspective on how two divers could die at a spot where you expect no one to die.

There are easy dives and difficult dives and everything in between. In Cape Ann, there is Cathedral Rocks, and there is Front and Back Beach with good weather as reported. You are right that you can die in any of them but the probability is probably higher in more difficult dives. I dove in all of these locations in Cape Ann for over 2 decades. The accidents I vaguely remember took place at Back Beach way back were due to medical conditions and poor weather but never two buddies.

Everything is speculation so far based on the information available. It may turn out like you said and it may turn out something different we don't expect or anticipate.

Merged duplicate threads.

Paywall FYI.
Paywall broken for your convenience:

Two divers found dead in Rockport were brothers-in-law and seasoned divers, families say​

By Emily Sweeney Globe Staff,Updated October 6, 2023, 6:51 p.m.​
Richard Brady, 78, of Hampton, N.H., (left) and Alan O. Leao, 75, of Pepperell, went out for a dive at Front Beach in Rockport on Wednesday morning. Their bodies were found later that day.
Richard Brady, 78, of Hampton, N.H., (left) and Alan O. Leao, 75, of Pepperell, went out for a dive at Front Beach in Rockport on Wednesday morning. Their bodies were found later that day.Alan O. Leao Jr.​
The two men whose bodies were recovered from Front Beach in Rockport on Wednesday were brothers-in-law, who were each experienced scuba divers, according to their families.​
Alan O. Leao, 75, of Pepperell and Richard Brady, 78, of Hampton, N.H., shared a passion for the ocean and were getting ready to go on a diving trip to Bonaire, an island off the coast of Venezuela.​
Brady had been an electrical engineer at MITRE Corp. before he retired and had been diving for decades, according to his wife, Barbara Brady.​
“He’s had over 800 dives,” she said.​
Richard Brady and his wife, Barbara Brady, and their two grandchildren, Kaitlyn Miller and Jake Miller, at Sugarbush Resort in Warren, Vt., on Dec. 31, 2021.
Richard Brady and his wife, Barbara Brady, and their two grandchildren, Kaitlyn Miller and Jake Miller, at Sugarbush Resort in Warren, Vt., on Dec. 31, 2021. Mary-Alice Miller​
Leao’s late wife, Patty Brady, was a sister to Richard Brady. Investigators say the two men drowned, and foul play is not suspected, authorities said Thursday.​
Their deaths remain under investigation by Rockport police and State Police assigned to the Essex district attorney’s office.​
Richard Brady grew up in Quincy and Somerville. Before he and his wife moved to New Hampshire, they lived in Tewksbury for many years.​
Brady was very familiar with diving spots along the North Shore, according to his daughter, Mary-Alice Miller.​
“He’s absolutely been diving all along the North Shore, and he knows the area very, very well,” Miller said. “I mean, he would tell me about some of the wrecks that we have along the North Shore.”​
Miller said her father prepared very carefully for every dive he went on, no matter what.​
“He always put safety first,” she said. “Everything he did was all about being methodical and safe. He would check, double check, and triple check. He had a routine. He would tell me stories about, you know, when you are preparing for a dive, it doesn’t matter if it’s a simple dive or deep dive — be quiet, put all your stuff together.“​
Miller said her father had received his master scuba diver and enriched air diver certifications from PADI (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) and he enjoyed visiting underwater wrecks.​
“It was definitely a passion of his,” said Miller. “He had a lot of certifications.”​
Miller said her father was also an avid skier who led a very active lifestyle.​
“It’s all very shocking. They were very careful,” said Miller. “This was supposed to be just a simple dive to make sure they got all their equipment together for their trip. I mean, it was a very beautiful, calm day. And they were not that far off the shore. ... They walked down the beach into the water.”​
“My dad and him did a lot of dive trips together,” she said. “We don’t really know what happened.”​
Leao was a retired Teamster and an avid soccer player who had been diving with Brady for more than a decade, according to his son, Alan O. Leao Jr.​
“My father is in impeccable shape ... up until last week he was still playing soccer,” he said. “He was going to be 76 next week.”​
Leao was originally from Brazil and came to the United States to play soccer professionally in 1968, he said.​
Although he came from a well-to-do Brazilian family, he worked as a truck driver and didn’t mind doing blue-collar work to raise his family. In his spare time, he would DJ for teen dances in town, and would always turn down the pay.​
“He was a man’s man,” he said. “He was respected. He was a good man.”​
Leao and Brady were great friends, he said.​
“Each one of them would die for the other,” he said.​
Alan O. Leao was pictured in the bottom left hand corner of this team photo, next to his brother Wagner.
Alan O. Leao was pictured in the bottom left hand corner of this team photo, next to his brother Wagner. Alan O. Leao​

Back
Top Bottom