To Tan...or not to Tan...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

girldiverllc

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ladies, just a thought...

I'm of Irish descent...aka...burn only - never tan. Luckily, I reside in the Pacific NW so my dive wear covers me fully and no one is faced with the glare from my legs.

For those of you in warmer climates, what advice would you give to a pale skinned diver. We all know that skin cancer is a very bad thing. Yet...tanned swimsuit models grace the cover of every dive publication.

The tan in the bottle? Spray tans? Go white?

Let's hear what you have to say...

Most tanning shops have Mystic Tan now which is sprayed on. I have seen some decent results from it and it doesn't increase your chance of skin cancer!

I grew up in California, where I was tanned nut-brown every summer for many years.

I used to get worked up about my pasty-white arms and legs from too long in Seattle, and tan before trips and the like. But as I've crossed over that nasty five decade mark, it's become abundantly apparent to me that that protected skin is ageing FAR slower than the parts of me that got to greet the sun on a regular basis.

Use something that colors your skin if you're concerned about appearance, but otherwise, give thanks to our northern climate that you most likely won't be reading those ads promising to "do away with fine lines" when you're my age!

Mystic tan is great although a bit expensive ($35 here and lasts three days). Maybe use it if you are going for a special occasion wearing a dress or something. Otherwise, try Neutrogena SPRAY. Comes in a gold bottle and works great. I try not to get any sun, ever as my grandmother drilled it into me it wasn't good for you. anywho I use the Neutrogena Micro Mist Tanning, sunless spray. You can use on body and face - no need for two different things.

Alternately, I had a friend one day who said to his girlfriend he liked her skin the way it was (she was wanting to tan). He said that it reminded him of a tall, cool glass of milk. :)

Missdirected:
Alternately, I had a friend one day who said to his girlfriend he liked her skin the way it was (she was wanting to tan). He said that it reminded him of a tall, cool glass of milk. :)

Hehe...that's cute!

Hemlon:
Hehe...that's cute!

I thought it was. He also said he just wanted to take and drink her in. Kind of sweet.

Never be ashamed of the glow of healthy skin! It glows white my dear not brown. I pretty much quit tanning when I was 18. I admit to the occasional trip to the tanning bed before trips since then but I decided even that wasn't worth the risk of skin cancer and the accelerated aging of my skin. Get painted and slather on the sunscreen :D
Ber :lilbunny:

TSandM:
... as I've crossed over that nasty five decade mark ...
As soon as I saw this thread I thought "If you want the real truth, don't ask anyone under fifty."
Read & heed what TSandM writes...
Rick

Also, remember "fair" came to mean the same as "beautiful" although it actually refers pale skin. There's no need to paint your skin, you are who you are, be proud of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom