Probe iDry semi-dry suit - Blanketing diver in dreamy comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey sorry I missed your comment. I'm still absolutely in love with it. It's one of those suits you'd actually appreciate and enjoy more over time, as it gets used to you and you it. It gets easier to don and doff. It doesn't feel super thick, I'd say it feels just as thick as standard 3mm, maybe even more flexible. My only tiny complain is the wrist isn't tightly sealed, but maybe it's just me because my wrists and lower arms are comically tiny for my size, and the lack of a concrete wrist seal makes donning a whole lot easier. Folx with proportionally sized wrists might do just fine.
What kind of water temperature do you dive? I'd say anything warranting an iDry 7mm is cold enough for a drysuit. This suit is very warm! I find 22-23*C water to be comfortable enough, while I aim for the 25-26*C range for max toastiness. I'd say even 20*C should still be tolerable for me in this suit. And I used to refuse anything under 28*C in 3mm!
Oh wow. I'm also slow on the reply. Oops. I'm back since I'm looking for recommendations on 3mm suits for a trip to Palau in September. Mine is over 10+ years.

I ended up purchasing the 7mm Probe iDry suit for what was supposed to be a liveaboard trip to the Red Sea for March 2020. I think we all know what happened there. But I did finally get to use my suit there in October 2021!

For folks looking for new suits, info is below.

I broke in the suit in Southern California as soon as we were able to get back on boats for dives. Summer and Fall boat diving trips to the Channel Islands - Catalina and Anacapa. Water temp in the summer/fall was in the 16-21*C, plus the air temp is usually around 25-26*C.

I do have to say as far as 7mm suits go, it's the best that I've worn. I think we can all agree that 7mm suits are a pain in the butt, but we put up with them because we love diving.

The fit compressed my entire body and I didn't have any lose areas, but it wasn't over restrictive. I used lycra socks and a full body skin suit. Highly recommend both to help with getting any 7mm wetsuits on and off more easily. This suit keeps me comfortable enough for 45-50 minute dives in So Cal. Prior to the Probe wetsuit, I was done at the 30 minute mark. I've been able to lose a 7mm hood because of this suit!

It does take extra time or weight to get under water, so depending on your dive needs, weight accordingly. In California I can take my time going down since it's not guided dives. In Egypt, I had to overweigh myself to get down with the group.

It was perfect for me in the Red Sea. People dove in a mix of everything from skin suits - 7mm suits. I only had 1 dive where I felt a chill.

It drys faster than other wetsuits but areas around the wrist and ankles do still take time to dry and it depends on the air temp. During our liveaboard trip, it was comfortable to get on for my morning dive, but by the last dive of the day it took longer to get on. The usual.

To answer the dry suit recommendation. It's on my list to consider winter dives or if I dove regularly in Northern California. But diving during winter in California is not something I like. For now, this suit allows me comfort in the summer and any winter dives happen on vacation in a place where I only need a 3mm. :D

I bought the iDry 5mm a few months ago. The torso fit well, but the legs were too long and too big in the thigh. Rather than pay to return it, I found someone experienced at repairing wetsuits to alter it - and add ankle zippers while she was at it. The wrists are very tight on me.:)
She did a great job, and I used it on my recent dive trip to Cozumel. It was indeed pretty buoyant! Especially along with my new Probe hood and boots! The surface water temp there was 80 degrees, and except for a bit of chill on the last day, the warmth was just right. I tried wearing a skin under it one day, but I was colder than with the lining next to my skin, so I sacrificed ease for warmth.
I'd buy another in 7mm for SoCal diving, but the seamstress doesn't work on 7mm. Darn!

I'm glad you said it goes on easier over time because I just got my 5mm iDry and I couldn't even get 1 let on the first try. I managed to get the whole suit on on try 2 but OMG. Hoping Try 3 goes a whole lot better! Thanks for the great review. I think once it is slightly broken in it will be great for my Galapagos trip next mongh

I'm glad you said it goes on easier over time because I just got my 5mm iDry and I couldn't even get 1 let on the first try. I managed to get the whole suit on on try 2 but OMG. Hoping Try 3 goes a whole lot better! Thanks for the great review. I think once it is slightly broken in it will be great for my Galapagos trip next mongh
rash guard helps tremendously. now I don't really need it anymore but at the begining it was a huge struggle to don without and very easy with rashguard on

rash guard helps tremendously. now I don't really need it anymore but at the begining it was a huge struggle to don without and very easy with rashguard on

I’m getting better at it but I question how small the openings at the wrist and ankle are. Mine are 16cm and 20cm respectively for a size 8. Are yours that small?

Back
Top Bottom