Probe iDry semi-dry suit - Blanketing diver in dreamy comfort

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dumpsterpurrs

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Background: I'm a cold-prone tropical diver and a bit of a "pea princess" ala Andersen's Princess and the Pea, as in I get bothered by the smallest bit of discomfort. I hate diving in a wetsuit and try to wear as little as possible. My first wetsuit is a Billabong springsuit for surfing because it has a lot more flexibility.
Unfortunately, I got very sick during the last two years and can't handle the cold anymore. I'd been searching high and low for super warm but also super stretchy and comfy wetsuit. It should also be quite durable to last me many dives in 23-30*C water.

My requirements are:
  • Full suit, 5mm, max 1 zip, no hood, semi-dry/semi-dry-style seals
  • Fully lined with some sort of quick dry merino wool or something similar
  • Doesn't look ugly on me, so I wouldn't dread putting it on
Probe Wetsuits Australia : Surfing Wetsuits : Diving Wetsuits : Mens & Womens Wetsuits This suit meets all my needs and more! It's SO WARM I didn't mind a long dive in 21-22*C water and strong currents.

What I LOVE about this suit:
  • Super soft and stretchy! It's as soft and stretchy as my 2mm suit!
  • The lining is HEAVENLY!!!! It's like a thick, plush blanket hugging your body. Even when the water was really cold, I took comfort in imagining I'm going camping and curling up in my blankie and sleeping bag
  • The best part: my legs would stay perfectly DRY for few minutes into the dive. If I don't move my neck too much, my torso would also stay 'semi-dry" for a good bit. While diving, it only leaks once in a while and the water layer trapped inside really does warm up. It's (one of?) the only suit that gets warmer during the dive even with stable water temp!
  • The other best part: Yes the lining does dry almost instantaneously! I never have to put on anything wet.
  • The back flap keeps things nice and warm even with back zip leakages
  • Easy to move around in, no Michelin tireman effect.
  • Don/doff: I dry run a few times while on land. First time was a huge struggle and I felt like giving up. Then i used the plastic bag trick, which makes everything slide super easily (I imagine a lycra sock wouldwork too). It gets easier after each time, especially after diving in it a few times. I have zero problem donning it now after 10 dives. It's also a semi-dry that I can don and doff completely by myself, unlike many other semi-dries
  • Folds up very well, no tough spot making it difficult to pack
  • Size chart is consistent with my other suit, fits even slightly better. It's the only full suit that has ever rolled up my thick thighs and wide hips easily. The women's cut was perfect for all the, err, puffy bits
  • Dotted seams! not only help with durability and leakage, but also comfort. I hate threads scratching my skin.
  • seems very durable. I happened to see another diver with an older iDry, and it hasn't lost any of its thickness and plush lining.
Yes, yes, most of those things you can find in other suits (perhaps with the exception of the drying speed? I haven't found another wetsuit drying as fast). But would you be able to find another one that makes you feel like a swaddled baby? The iDry fits so well it feels like an all-body compression onesie. The first time I put it on I almost passed out from the "high" of being gently but firmly compressed all over my body. It feels so good on your body you wouldn't want to take it off if you don't have to.

Oh and you rarely have to because you don't really get overheated in this suit as long as you stay out of strong, direct indo pacific sunlight. I find the materials to be very breathable, and never had issues waiting around for other divers to roll. getting overheated while on land used to be a big problem for me.

So is there any issues? Well, there's no real ankle or wrist or neck seals. my guess is Probe decided to go with fully lined literally everywhere in order to maximize comfort and easy of don/doff. I'm not too upset about it, and in my diving conditions, it's not a real requirement. It's also just black, and I tend to prefer colors for better underwater safety and ID, but the cut is flattering and classic enough. I wish the tiny pockets were real pockets, but I realized I'm overly nitpicky at this point, and none of the suits I've worn ever had pockets.

Note that breaking the surface to descent might take a bit of time and some finning because of the air trapped. Take the extra two seconds and you'll be fine after the first 1m or 2. I'm usually a bit overweighted with 1.5kg lead in a 3mm suit. This 5mm takes 4kg. I'll try to see if I can kick it down to 3.5kg.

All in all, I think it's an excellent suit for creatures of comfort seeking a high-end product at very reasonable price point. i have yet to find another suit at a similar or slightly higher price points offering the same quality and feature of the iDry. All the comparable ones are somehow imperfect in many major requirements (notably Bare's many zips) and even after sale, are still way more expensive.

I also have the 5mm soft boots and the frogskin hood. both are great. the boots are Ugg-comfy and toasty withoutgetting hot. They don't dry as fast as the suit though. The Frogskin hood is not at all restrictive and works well for someone hating having anything around their neck like me. You can read more about the frogskin from @guyharrisonphoto's and @outofofficebrb's reviews here Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

But if anyone tells you the iDry's lining is as comfortable as the Frogskin, well, they are flat out wrong, the iDry is WAY BETTER. While the Frogskin's lining feels "fine," the iDry truly feels heavenly amazing. It's no wonder I've become so evangelical about this brand. Their products are just THAT GOOD. If, say, Deep 6 go for a tech diver-maximalist approach with their wetsuit, i'd say Probe goes for comfort-maximalism with exceptional warmth.

Can I just be in this suit all the time, please?

Background: I'm a cold-prone tropical diver and a bit of a "pea princess" ala Andersen's Princess and the Pea, as in I get bothered by the smallest bit of discomfort. I hate diving in a wetsuit and try to wear as little as possible. My first wetsuit is a Billabong springsuit for surfing because it has a lot more flexibility.
Unfortunately, I got very sick during the last two years and can't handle the cold anymore. I'd been searching high and low for super warm but also super stretchy and comfy wetsuit. It should also be quite durable to last me many dives in 23-30*C water.

My requirements are:
  • Full suit, 5mm, max 1 zip, no hood, semi-dry/semi-dry-style seals
  • Fully lined with some sort of quick dry merino wool or something similar
  • Doesn't look ugly on me, so I wouldn't dread putting it on
Probe Wetsuits Australia : Surfing Wetsuits : Diving Wetsuits : Mens & Womens Wetsuits This suit meets all my needs and more! It's SO WARM I didn't mind a long dive in 21-22*C water and strong currents.

What I LOVE about this suit:
  • Super soft and stretchy! It's as soft and stretchy as my 2mm suit!
  • The lining is HEAVENLY!!!! It's like a thick, plush blanket hugging your body. Even when the water was really cold, I took comfort in imagining I'm going camping and curling up in my blankie and sleeping bag
  • The best part: my legs would stay perfectly DRY for few minutes into the dive. If I don't move my neck too much, my torso would also stay 'semi-dry" for a good bit. While diving, it only leaks once in a while and the water layer trapped inside really does warm up. It's (one of?) the only suit that gets warmer during the dive even with stable water temp!
  • The other best part: Yes the lining does dry almost instantaneously! I never have to put on anything wet.
  • The back flap keeps things nice and warm even with back zip leakages
  • Easy to move around in, no Michelin tireman effect.
  • Don/doff: I dry run a few times while on land. First time was a huge struggle and I felt like giving up. Then i used the plastic bag trick, which makes everything slide super easily (I imagine a lycra sock wouldwork too). It gets easier after each time, especially after diving in it a few times. I have zero problem donning it now after 10 dives. It's also a semi-dry that I can don and doff completely by myself, unlike many other semi-dries
  • Folds up very well, no tough spot making it difficult to pack
  • Size chart is consistent with my other suit, fits even slightly better. It's the only full suit that has ever rolled up my thick thighs and wide hips easily. The women's cut was perfect for all the, err, puffy bits
  • Dotted seams! not only help with durability and leakage, but also comfort. I hate threads scratching my skin.
  • seems very durable. I happened to see another diver with an older iDry, and it hasn't lost any of its thickness and plush lining.
Yes, yes, most of those things you can find in other suits (perhaps with the exception of the drying speed? I haven't found another wetsuit drying as fast). But would you be able to find another one that makes you feel like a swaddled baby? The iDry fits so well it feels like an all-body compression onesie. The first time I put it on I almost passed out from the "high" of being gently but firmly compressed all over my body. It feels so good on your body you wouldn't want to take it off if you don't have to.

Oh and you rarely have to because you don't really get overheated in this suit as long as you stay out of strong, direct indo pacific sunlight. I find the materials to be very breathable, and never had issues waiting around for other divers to roll. getting overheated while on land used to be a big problem for me.

So is there any issues? Well, there's no real ankle or wrist or neck seals. my guess is Probe decided to go with fully lined literally everywhere in order to maximize comfort and easy of don/doff. I'm not too upset about it, and in my diving conditions, it's not a real requirement. It's also just black, and I tend to prefer colors for better underwater safety and ID, but the cut is flattering and classic enough. I wish the tiny pockets were real pockets, but I realized I'm overly nitpicky at this point, and none of the suits I've worn ever had pockets.

Note that breaking the surface to descent might take a bit of time and some finning because of the air trapped. Take the extra two seconds and you'll be fine after the first 1m or 2. I'm usually a bit overweighted with 1.5kg lead in a 3mm suit. This 5mm takes 4kg. I'll try to see if I can kick it down to 3.5kg.

All in all, I think it's an excellent suit for creatures of comfort seeking a high-end product at very reasonable price point. i have yet to find another suit at a similar or slightly higher price points offering the same quality and feature of the iDry. All the comparable ones are somehow imperfect in many major requirements (notably Bare's many zips) and even after sale, are still way more expensive.

I also have the 5mm soft boots and the frogskin hood. both are great. the boots are Ugg-comfy and toasty withoutgetting hot. They don't dry as fast as the suit though. The Frogskin hood is not at all restrictive and works well for someone hating having anything around their neck like me. You can read more about the frogskin from @guyharrisonphoto's and @outofofficebrb's reviews here Probe Frogskins--Best Dive Skins Yet?

But if anyone tells you the iDry's lining is as comfortable as the Frogskin, well, they are flat out wrong, the iDry is WAY BETTER. While the Frogskin's lining feels "fine," the iDry truly feels heavenly amazing. It's no wonder I've become so evangelical about this brand. Their products are just THAT GOOD. If, say, Deep 6 go for a tech diver-maximalist approach with their wetsuit, i'd say Probe goes for comfort-maximalism with exceptional warmth.

Can I just be in this suit all the time, please?

Hi! Curious as to how this suit is working out for you a year later. I'm considering this in 7mm, and this is the first review I've read on this board!

Plus you sound exactly like me as a diver. I hate wearing a wetsuit, but am easily cold, so no choice in the matter. Lol

Hi! Curious as to how this suit is working out for you a year later. I'm considering this in 7mm, and this is the first review I've read on this board!

Plus you sound exactly like me as a diver. I hate wearing a wetsuit, but am easily cold, so no choice in the matter. Lol
Hey sorry I missed your comment. I'm still absolutely in love with it. It's one of those suits you'd actually appreciate and enjoy more over time, as it gets used to you and you it. It gets easier to don and doff. It doesn't feel super thick, I'd say it feels just as thick as standard 3mm, maybe even more flexible. My only tiny complain is the wrist isn't tightly sealed, but maybe it's just me because my wrists and lower arms are comically tiny for my size, and the lack of a concrete wrist seal makes donning a whole lot easier. Folx with proportionally sized wrists might do just fine.
What kind of water temperature do you dive? I'd say anything warranting an iDry 7mm is cold enough for a drysuit. This suit is very warm! I find 22-23*C water to be comfortable enough, while I aim for the 25-26*C range for max toastiness. I'd say even 20*C should still be tolerable for me in this suit. And I used to refuse anything under 28*C in 3mm!

Hey sorry I missed your comment. I'm still absolutely in love with it. It's one of those suits you'd actually appreciate and enjoy more over time, as it gets used to you and you it. It gets easier to don and doff. It doesn't feel super thick, I'd say it feels just as thick as standard 3mm, maybe even more flexible. My only tiny complain is the wrist isn't tightly sealed, but maybe it's just me because my wrists and lower arms are comically tiny for my size, and the lack of a concrete wrist seal makes donning a whole lot easier. Folx with proportionally sized wrists might do just fine.
What kind of water temperature do you dive? I'd say anything warranting an iDry 7mm is cold enough for a drysuit. This suit is very warm! I find 22-23*C water to be comfortable enough, while I aim for the 25-26*C range for max toastiness. I'd say even 20*C should still be tolerable for me in this suit. And I used to refuse anything under 28*C in 3mm!
Hi, thanks for your posts. Are you still enjoying your iDry? I am likely going to order an iDry 5mm and don't really want to get the sizing wrong, as I am in the U.S. Is their sizing fairly accurate, as far as you know? It looks like I would be a size 10, at 5'6", 123 lbs (and long-waisted). Wetsuit sizing is all over the place, so I really have no point of comparison. And then I am a bit concerned about those wrist, ankle, and necks seals. I am used to zippers for ankles and feet - especially helpful for my large feet.

Yoshida Kogyo Kabushikikaisha

It does not use the above zipper.
Here's the commentary about that from the person I wrote to there:
We used ykk zips in our suits 10 years ago, but we don't anymore.
Instead, we sourced what we believe to be a better zip from a different zip manufacturer called Paskal. I believe it's the same zip that Ripcurl and O’Neill wetsuits use in their suits.
Besides, a zip only costs around $2 each so we certainly wouldn't use a cheaper less durable zip just to save a few cents on a suit that sells for an retail price of $695!

I added pockets to mine, been diving it for a couple of years. It’s a Ripcurl wetsuit that’s been half assed into a dive suit.
Keeps me warm though and price was fair.

I’ve done 15 degrees in my 5mm iDry suit and hood in Melbourne and it was fine. I like my iDry, but I wouldn’t say it dries totally any faster than other suits I’ve had. The inner lining does mostly dry quickly but the whole suit still takes a couple of days (in winter).
quality is pretty good but mine did unglue at the top of the zipper seam when I first tried it on. I didn’t do anything about it as I bought it online from another state so messing about with returns seemed like a hassle. I must glue this before the season starts here.
8EA25E13-BA49-400C-B5BB-1EFBDA95A1E1.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom